Maneaters & WYSIWYG

Warboss Gorbolg

I've been slowly collecting some of the maneaters in metal recently just because they are cool models.  In reading the warscroll, they all get 4 melee attacks regardless of their visible weapons but then also a ranged attack listed as "ogor pistols and throwing stars".  

Does a pistol or throwing star need to be visible to utilize the ranged attack or is just assumed?

The rule says: "In addition, some carry Ogor Pistols or giant Throwing Stars that can be blablabla...", meaning that not all Maneaters are armed with them. Therefore, in order to use the weapon, it has to be visible on the model.

If instead it had said something like "In addition, Maneaters carry Ogor Pistols or blabla..." it would apply to all Maneaters, regardless if it was visible on the model or not.

1 hour ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

I've been slowly collecting some of the maneaters in metal recently just because they are cool models.  In reading the warscroll, they all get 4 melee attacks regardless of their visible weapons but then also a ranged attack listed as "ogor pistols and throwing stars".  

Does a pistol or throwing star need to be visible to utilize the ranged attack or is just assumed?

If you tell your opponent before hand it will be fine. If they are going to nitpick they might say no. But I doubt it. 

But yeah if you want to be sure make them wysiwyg. Maybe add a gunholder gnoblar if you don't want to mess up the aesthetics. Small magnet so you can take it off easily. Problem solved :D  

57 minutes ago, Solaris said:

The rule says: "In addition, some carry Ogor Pistols or giant Throwing Stars that can be blablabla...", meaning that not all Maneaters are armed with them. Therefore, in order to use the weapon, it has to be visible on the model.

Like @Solaris, I would want to see some form of missile weapons on the models in order for them to use the rules.

WYSIWYG is a thing in AoS :) 

14 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Like @Solaris, I would want to see some form of missile weapons on the models in order for them to use the rules.

WYSIWYG is a thing in AoS :) 

In general I agree. But for those occasions when there is no suitable model (or not enough different sculpts as in this case) is not going to force an opponent to convert his models. 

But agreed beforehand that's an opinion. 

@Kramer - I'd have to have a look over the Maneater models again tbh, from memory there are some with pistols and the Ninja has a couple of Shurikens about his person...I could be wrong though.

In short;

• In pick up games, check with your opponent beforehand.
  • At tournaments, check with the TO for a blanket ruling to save the above.

Personally I would not care much - they are all pointed for being able to use ranged weaponry, and if you pay for it you may as well use it. It's not unfair, and I would therefore not mind.

From a rules perspective, it's a clear case of WYSIWYG, so I would definitely advice converting your models to have some ranged weapons. If not, you'd have to ask your opponent and check with TO's all the time to make sure.

Ogre-sized pistols are what humans would call "muskets." If you have an Empire players in your immediate vicinity, odds are good they have a shoebox full of extra handgun bits. (Failing that, there's a bajillion historical wargames miniature makers that offer pike-and-shot muskets, napoleonic muskets and rifles, and even medieval harquebus bits.)

You could probably glue a couple of "weapon-bearer" gnoblars on the ogre's base or green stuff/super sculpy some holsters.

1 hour ago, Thain said:

You could probably glue a couple of "weapon-bearer" gnoblars on the ogre's base or green stuff/super sculpy some holsters.

4 hours ago, Kramer said:

But yeah if you want to be sure make them wysiwyg. Maybe add a gunholder gnoblar if you don't want to mess up the aesthetics. Small magnet so you can take it off easily. Problem solved :D  

Are Gretchen about the size of gnoblars?  These guys look pretty fun and with the Overlords coming, they probably fit into AOS pretty well now.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Ork-Gretchin

Gnoblars were usually a wee bit shorter than most Goblin or Grot models, and almost always skinnier. However, the most distinctive difference was in the shapes of their nose... 

But unless you're opponents  ridiculously obsessive-compulsive about it, I don't think anyone will object.

Besides, Maneaters are famous for traveling the world. Maybe they picked up some Goblins in their travels?

4 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

I'd have to have a look over the Maneater models again tbh, from memory there are some with pistols and the Ninja has a couple of Shurikens about his person...I could be wrong though.

From memory you have only the pirate one and the paymaster with a pistol. The ninja one has only one thing that looks like a throwing star and thats tied to his gutplates. But that's it. But again agreed just talk with your opponent or TO

Best I can tell, only the pirate has pistols and I was previously mistaken, the ninja does have a throwing star mixed in with the ropes around the gutplate as per @Kramer.  Couldn't see it until looking at a painted picture.  I also have the Araby, Empire and Pay Master which do not appear to have a missile weapon.

The 3 that I don't have or haven't ordered yet, Golfag?, Executioner and Lady  :x do not appear to have missile weapons either.  

24 minutes ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

Best I can tell, only the pirate has pistols and I was previously mistaken, the ninja does have a throwing star mixed in with the ropes around the gutplate as per @Kramer.  Couldn't see it until looking at a painted picture.  I also have the Araby, Empire and Pay Master which do not appear to have a missile weapon.

The 3 that I don't have or haven't ordered yet, Golfag?, Executioner and Lady  :x do not appear to have missile weapons either.  

Oh you're totally right! It's Golfag that has a pistol slung on one side. The paymaster doesn't have a gun! 

48 minutes ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

Man, just had a look at the models again. They are so sick! I'd totally grab them all and stick some Gretchin with pistols on their backs or bases. The problem is that there is only nine of them, and you don't really want duplicates haha.

14 minutes ago, Solaris said:

Man, just had a look at the models again. They are so sick! I'd totally grab them all and stick some Gretchin with pistols on their backs or bases. The problem is that there is only nine of them, and you don't really want duplicates haha.

There's actually only 8!  I have a Hunter lying around and I'm thinking that most people would let me run it as a 9th primative or Tribal-themed Maneater, especially if I don't run anymore Beastclaw raiders with them.  The GHB points are for groups of 3.

That said, I really dislike Finecast after my first experiences were really poor so I may stop collecting after I get the last one formerly produced in metal, which would leave me an even 6 without subbing in the Hunter.

2 minutes ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

There's actually only 8!  I have a Hunter lying around and I'm thinking that most people would let me run it as a 9th primative or Tribal-themed Maneater, especially if I don't run anymore Beastclaw raiders with them.  The GHB points are for groups of 3.

That said, I really dislike Finecast after my first experiences were really poor so I may stop collecting after I get the last one formerly produced in metal, which would leave me an even 6 without subbing in the Hunter.

Yes my bad, I meant eight but was thinking that I wanted nine and wrote that instead :P

Archived