Scions of the Storm - one at a time or group roll?

Alsetzer

Question

Greetings all,

I don't find the rules in the new SCE book particularly clear and I've seen folks try to play this kind of thing both ways, looking for consensus.

With the Scions of the storm ability from stormcasts, does one roll one unit at a time and drop, or roll for all units and then drop?

e.g.  5 units deployed in the celestial realm.  Is the order..

A) Roll , drop, roll drop, roll drop, roll drop, roll drop

B) Roll, Roll, Roll, Roll, Roll, Drop, drop, drop, drop, drop.

Input or siting a clarifying source I missed greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

10 answers to this question

Instead of setting up a STORMCAST ETERNALS unit on
the battlefield, you can place it to one side and say that
it is set up in the Celestial Realm. You can do this with
as many units as you wish. In each of your movement
phases, roll a dice for each of these units.
On a roll of 1 or 2 the unit does not arrive this turn – you
can roll for them again in subsequent turns.
On a result of 3 or more, the unit is transported to the
battlefield – set up the unit on the battlefield more than
9" from any enemy models. This is their move for that
movement phase.

But does it really matter 

IMHO, A or B is the same.C is definitely a no no.

It's my opinion it's written in such a way that you should roll for and then place one unit at a time. It makes it very important that you choose the right order to roll for the units. For example roll to see whether your buffing heroes will come in before deciding on how aggressive or defensive the rest of your set up will be. 

Generally when things happen at the same time; i.e. having multiple abilities that happen at the start of the hero phase, the player whose turn it is decides the order of operations. So without an FAQ you can roll and drop in any order you want. 

17 hours ago, BURF1 said:

Generally when things happen at the same time; i.e. having multiple abilities that happen at the start of the hero phase, the player whose turn it is decides the order of operations. So without an FAQ you can roll and drop in any order you want. 

He's asking if you can roll for all of your units and then start placing them after you know who is coming down (rolled a 3).

You roll for all and then place them.  It is clearly stated in the layout of the rules.  

"Instead of setting up a STORMCAST ETERNALS unit on
the battlefield, you can place it to one side and say that
it is set up in the Celestial Realm. You can do this with
as many units as you wish. In each of your movement
phases, roll a dice for each of these units.
On a roll of 1 or 2 the unit does not arrive this turn – you
can roll for them again in subsequent turns.
On a result of 3 or more, the unit is transported to the
battlefield – set up the unit on the battlefield more than
9" from any enemy models. This is their move for that
movement phase."

The Yellow highlighted portion is the important part.  **Roll a dice for each of these units Period** This means you must do this part first then proceed to the rest of the rules.  Say I have 5 units in reserve.  I roll for each unit, then compare to step two highlighted in red.  Then, based on the 2nd step's outcome, I continue placing them one unit at a time.  Easy.  

This seems to be an issue with GW wishing to write rules in paragraph form to provide narrative and fluff to each ability.  As opposed to just clearly writing a Step 1, step 2, ect.  It's harder to read, but gives more of a cinematic feel to their rules as well as convey's the designer's intent and reasoning behind an ability.  Take D&D, it's the difference from saying my wizard rolled an 18 and thus succeeds your armor class and now does d8 fire damage compared to, my wizard hurls his magic fire (roll dice) and the fireball manages to connect with your orc.  His low armor just couldnt withstand the fire and he is scorched for near fatal damage.  

Here's another question. Say you take a one drop battalion - tempest lords harbinger chamber for instance.

You can deploy the whole thing into the celestial realm as 1 drop.

Is that a 'unit' for scions of the storm, ie, when it comes to roll is it 1 for all?

I think not but am interested in how the two rules interact.

23 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Here's another question. Say you take a one drop battalion - tempest lords harbinger chamber for instance.

You can deploy the whole thing into the celestial realm as 1 drop.

Is that a 'unit' for scions of the storm, ie, when it comes to roll is it 1 for all?

I think not but am interested in how the two rules interact.

No they only count as one "Drop" for setup purposes.  So your setup would be, "ok I set up this battalion in the celestial realm." 

Then, on each turns you would roll for each unit in that battalion individually.  They are never "one unit." They can just be setup at once in the beginning of the game.  Hope this helps. 

12 minutes ago, Lord Aquillor said:

So your setup would be, "ok I set up this battalion in the celestial realm." 

Then, on each turns you would roll for each unit in that battalion individually.  They are never "one unit." They can just be setup at once in the beginning of the game.  Hope this helps. 

This was my interpretation of it too.

1 hour ago, arnoldrew said:

He's asking if you can roll for all of your units and then start placing them after you know who is coming down (rolled a 3).

And my answer is "Generally when things happen at the same time; i.e. having multiple abilities that happen at the start of the hero phase, the player whose turn it is decides the order of operations. So without an FAQ you can roll and drop in any order you want."

I didn't think a TL:DR was necessary for something like this but if you really need it TL:DR 'do it how you want to until the FAQ comes out because Precedent.'

Archived