2k Nurgle

Slave2Chaos

So after picking up "Shadows Over Hammerhal" I inadvertently ended up with a unit of Blightkings. These guys were great! They oozed character and the next day had me back at the shop impulse buying a "Start Collecting: Nurgle" box and "Maggoth Rider" box (Bloab/Morbidex/Orghotts).

Ive been focusing on Disciples of Tzeentch since their release but now papa Nurgle has me bolstering my chaos horde. Offering a stark contrast to his rival, both aesthetically and tactically.

While I still intend Tzeentch to be my primary focus, I'm looking to slowly grow a Nurgle army on the side to cleanse my palette while continuing to heed the call of chaos.

I like to have somewhat of a goal in mind  as I collect and after a little research I am currently considering the following: 

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Great Unclean One (240)
- General
- Trait: Spiteful Destroyer
- Artefact: Chaos Runeblade
Epidemius (180)
Harbinger of Decay (140)
- Artefact: Favour of the Gods

Battleline
20 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (200)
10 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (100)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (180)
- Mortal Nurgle Battleline

Units
2 x Beasts Of Nurgle (120)

War Machines
Plagueclaw (180)
Plagueclaw (180)

Battalions
Tallyband of Nurgle (100)

Total: 1960/2000

This is more a competitive take on it but people around here seem to gravitate towards that more often than not.

Thanks

Great to have u between the ranks of papa nurgle!

Anyway from a purely competitive aspect if u want a list with the tallyband i think u have to drop the harbinger of decay (he is not the general, he doesn't beat) 

I really don't like beasts, i would go for 2-3 less beasts and one unit more of blightkings or bile trolls

Edit: i will be posting a huge thread soon with all the maths for each nurgle unit that has competitive choices, maybe check it out!

Ahh just saw that the HoD ability was command. Seeing as GUO's command ability inst all that i can switch to the HoD as the general.

Confession; i plan on using plague toads as beasts as their models are awesome sauce.  I need to have 6 demon units plus the GUO to maintain the Tally Band. So if i use 3 individual beasts that will free up 180 allowing for another unit of Blightkings.

Bile Trolls are an interesting choice that i hadn't looked at too closely.  but i would need to free up 20 more points which would most likely lead to dropping the HoD and giving me 120 points to play with.

Maybe bump the plaguebearers up to 30 and troll the center field ...

i really don't think that the harbinger is worth to be a general, it gives the 5++ only to mortals, in ur case only at the blightkings. 

i would drop him, 1 unit of beasts (epidemius, 3 of plaguebearers and 2 of beasts are 6) so u keep the tallyband and ho ahead with 260 points to play something that does more damage. beasts i think can be played in multiples of 1 so if u need other points u can make a 1-2 beasts squad. 

with the points u gain i would play 10 more plaguebearers and or 5 blightkings or 3 trolls. trolls are exceptionally good against high armored targets (bightkings are the reverse). also epidemius buffs with their shooting is incredibly good.

Part of it is to meet the tally band requirements. Plus I really like the FW toad models but not so much the rules, so figured I'd use them as beasts. There's not really a need for big units unless there are scroll benefits as there is a smaller likelyhood for battleshock to be a issue.

Ill end up with 6 drones in total but imho it's hard to keep a hero with them to unlock mortal wounds and I don't plan on getting glottkin anytime soon. I'll be testing the drones out in the mean time and see how they work out.

you can summon a herald right next to any fast unit if you save points. ive had a unit of  4 beasts kill nefferata because of the double damage near a hero. the bigger unit is to get more from them when you choose them in combat and they dont have to worry about battle shock at all because they are bravery 10. I also really think 2 GUO is the way to go because they ****** on each other to heal even more.

What about the Maggoth Rider? Seems like Bloab is the popular choice. I honestly purchased the kit more to use the Maggoth as a stand in GUO tentatively until I can afford the FW one but I may be able to magnetize the rider for diversities sake.

5 hours ago, shadowgra said:

If u want a daemon which is fast enough to keep up with drones you should look at the daemon prince: good melee profile, 3+ save, good rend, good movement

I have a Be'Lakor somewhere, I'll be sure to try it out too.

Is it me or do SoulGrinders feel forced from 40k? I was liking the rules and considering putting one in but the model? Not a huge fan. Ive seen a few amazing conversions. GuitaRasmus has a beautiful log in the painting forum, some great inspiration there if you havent checked it out.  I doubt I could pull similar effects off in such an epic manner.

Im still torn on the Glottkin, not sure what it is about the model but Im just not sold.

Seems like I've caught the Nurgle Bug ....

Looking at the following after the discussion thus far ...

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Great Unclean One (240)
- General
- Trait: Spiteful Destroyer
- Artefact: Chaos Runeblade
Epidemius (180)
Daemon Prince Of Nurgle (160)
- Axe
- Artefact: Favour of the Gods

Battleline
20 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (200)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (180)

Units
3 x Plague Drones Of Nurgle (220)
1 x Beasts Of Nurgle (60)

Behemoths
Soul Grinder (280)

War Machines
Plagueclaw (180)

Battalions
Tallyband of Nurgle (100)

Total: 2000/2000

Feeling more better with this version. Thoughts?

3 hours ago, shadowgra said:

I don't like the regular soulgrinder either, i am thinking about buying a plague hulk or converting one

Ye guitarasmus has some impressive skills in converting!

About the maggoth, bloab is an ok choice, the other 2 much less

Is using a plague hulk (with minor conversions) acceptable proxy in tournaments where they have a WYSIWYG rule?

11 minutes ago, Ruben said:

Is using a plague hulk (with minor conversions) acceptable proxy in tournaments where they have a WYSIWYG rule?

i think there will need no problems, it is a soulgrinder by all means 

About the list i think it is pretty good. consider getting the 2 togo traits for chaos, dark avenger and lord of war that give absurd damage to blightkings

14 minutes ago, Ruben said:

Agreed, no problems on this at all as the Plague Hulk only has 40k rules.  To all intent and purposes it's a customised Soul Grinder

Here's an idea I'm toying with.

Run your exact list but..

Remove all you beasts, you points should then allow 5 slaves to Darkness chariots (marked with Nurgle keyword of course. This should have a huge effect on your army as it will solve the serious movement problems of Papa nurgle. With 7 wounds each and a 4+ save they should last a bit, get you to objectives quick, and rack up some model count for Epidemus. All while your blightkings and plaguebearers slowly walk to the battle.

Archived