Warrior Brotherhood and Skyborne Slayers with the new Battletome

Requizen

Question

We've chatted about it a bit in the Let's Chat thread, but I thought I would ask here:

Do you think these two Battalions are legal with the release of the new Battletome? They don't have points in the back of the book, but they still have points in TGH. They also come from Grand Alliance: Order, rather than previous Stormcast books, so it seems to me that they are still legal. However, I wouldn't want to create a scene at an event if people disagree.

8 answers to this question

Too many problems to untangle... O.o

GW don't endorse version control on warscrolls, so how they handle retiring points values will be interesting.

I can see TO's making judgements based on most recent version in the future, but for now...

To avoid arguments, stick with a version. So if you want to use the old battalions, don't use the new book (points, traits, artefacts, other rules). At least then it's as clear as possible for your opponent.

But this is one that could go on forever.

TL:DR - for tournaments, go with the book as your sole source in case of conflicts.

For casual play, definitely chat with your opponent beforehand.

I am of the opinion that they're not in the new book and are therefore open play only now.

I somewhat see the logic behind:

5 hours ago, Requizen said:

They also come from Grand Alliance: Order, rather than previous Stormcast books, so it seems to me that they are still legal.

However, my current belief is that GW had ample time and a perfect chance to place anything they felt was Stormcast-y in a new tome and this is what they did.

The latest faction tome for a faction surely must have the complete matched play profile list.

So in order for WB or SS to be legal again, Grand Alliance: Order 2 would need to come out with those battalions warscrolls inside.

Do they really need to specifically write each and every scroll that's gone from matched play as well as include what's new?

On 08/03/2017 at 8:46 AM, Turragor said:

Do they really need to specifically write each and every scroll that's gone from matched play as well as include what's new?

I believe that's what the General's Handbook will do.

Best way to show what scrolls are legal for tournaments is by putting points against it or removing them from the next book.  I think we'll see a new GHB every year.  An idea which I would welcome with open arms.

I jumped on the Stormcast train a bit late... really like the Botherhood set-up.  

As a note, both Battalions (and Wardens of the Realmgate for that matter) are in the new Azyr app with points. Doesn't mean they won't be removed with TGH2, but currently it seems that GW are ok with it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

From my perspective they are legal until GW specifically delete them. They still have points and aren't overridden/replaced by anything specific (contrast with using the old Abhorrent Ghoul King with the new Terrorgheist).

I don't see how you can say that part of the Order Book is invalid and the other 80% clearly is still valid, without express wording in an FAQ. Obviously a TO could ban it in advance of an Event. 

Far from a compelling argument, but worth noting - the Azyr part of the App allows you to build lists using these Battalions.

From a balance perspective - Warrior Brotherhood is still an extra dimension (controlling the timing of the units coming down cf the Battle Trait in the book) but has been palpably nerfed. Skyborne Slayers is still a solid option, but has not been seen as overpowered or the cutting edge of the meta for about a year.

From a personal persective I really want to keep the Wardens of the Realmgate alive as an option as it's a very fun option and an extra dimension. I had a good time with it at Heat One.

20 hours ago, Nico said:

I don't see how you can say that part of the Order Book is invalid and the other 80% clearly is still valid,

I don't think it matters if a faction is updated in a faction tome - rendering the part of the order book formerly to do with that faction invalid. I don't see that as strange. A compilations isn't 'holy' and neither is the faction book. The only thing I'd regard as 'holy' is the latest publication.

So all that's left to figure out is if all preexisting warscrolls need replaced or clearly marked as obsolete?  If something is in neither of those categories is the older version still the most up to date and valid?

I guess the answer will need to be FAQd. I am leaning either way myself now.

Archived