Slaves to Darkness Cavalry List (1k, 1.5k, 2k)

BootyKnight

What do you think? I'm not 100% on the Lord of Change for 2k since it's an expensive unit both dollar wise and points wise. 

Run the Knights as units of 9 - MSU is a terrible thing for melee armies. The ward save is helpful. You would still have 4 Battleline Units.

Drop the Chariots - model count matters and I doubt that they add a great deal - unless you want them for aesthetic/hobby reasons.

You could consider a Warshrine. The Tzeentch one is the best of the 5 options.

A Chaos Sorceror Lord on a Manticore might be worthwhile too.

I would consider going for the Paradoxical Shield on the LoDM. He rerolls saves already (so he would be on a 2+ save (which would always be rerolled)).

The LoC is not expensive points-wise. It's well worth it. If you can trim down the army to keep a summoning pool of 300 (which could be Bloodletters, a LoC or Plaguebearers...), then that would be ideal.

4 hours ago, Nico said:
Run the Knights as units of 9 - MSU is a terrible thing for melee armies. The ward save is helpful. You would still have 4 Battleline Units.
Drop the Chariots - model count matters and I doubt that they add a great deal - unless you want them for aesthetic/hobby reasons.
You could consider a Warshrine. The Tzeentch one is the best of the 5 options.
A Chaos Sorceror Lord on a Manticore might be worthwhile too.
I would consider going for the Paradoxical Shield on the LoDM. He rerolls saves already (so he would be on a 2+ save (which would always be rerolled)).
The LoC is not expensive points-wise. It's well worth it. If you can trim down the army to keep a summoning pool of 300 (which could be Bloodletters, a LoC or Plaguebearers...), then that would be ideal.

Wouldn't my army be too high in points considering the Fatesworn requires 9 units? The chariots were more of a Fluff unit since I wanted run all cav. I was considering LoC + Warshrine for a 2.5k list.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Take at least one unit of 10 Marauders. They can hold objectives in your own territory.

You're right that you cannot do everything. Those were alternative suggestions to think about. I would probably go for a bit more Synergy/Summoning Pool, while at the moment you've got a (deceptively) good (i.e. everyone knows that StoD are normally meh troops with bad synergies or at best above average chaff/bodies (Warriors with Runeshields) to sit on objectives) and strong melee force with some decent short ranged pew pew (but little mortal wound output and no -2 rend).

Depends what you're going to be up against. Going up against a Gnarlroot 35/36 save Ancient that you cannot retreat from would suck hard (it ignores all -1 rend).

Be lucky!

So after taking all the suggestions into consideration I've come up with updated lists that still fit my all cavalry theme. Further suggestions, comments, and criticisms are very much welcomed and appreciated! 

Spoiler

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness (Chaos Traits)

Leaders

Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount (140)

- General

- Trait: Lord of War

- Artefact: Chaos Runeblade

- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch

Battleline

5 x Chaos Knights (200)

- Ensorcelled Weapons

- Slaves to Darkness Battleline

5 x Chaos Knights (200)

- Enscorcelled Weapons

5 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (100)

- Javelins

- Javelins

- Javelins

Units

1 x Chaos Chariots (80)

- War Flails

Battalions

Ruinbringer Warband (80)

Total: 1000/100

Spoiler

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness (Tzeentch Traits)
Leaders

- General

- Trait: Daemonspark

- Artefact: Phantasmal Weapons

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (140)

- Lore of Fate: Glimpse of the Future

Battleline
5 x Chaos Knights (200)

- Ensorcelled Weapons

5 x Chaos Knights (200)

- Enscorcelled Weapons

5 x Chaos Knights (200)

- Enscorcelled Weapons

- Javelins

- Javelins

- Javelins

- Javelins

Units
1 x Chaos Gorebeast Chariots (100)

- War Flails

Battalions
Fatesworn Warband (120)

Total: 1500/1500

Spoiler

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness (Tzeentch)
Leaders

- General

- Trait: Daemonspark

- Artefact: Phantasmal Weapons

- Lore of Fate: Shield of Fate

- Lore of Fate: Glimpse of the Future

Battleline
5 x Chaos Knights (200)

- Ensorcelled Weapons

5 x Chaos Knights (200)

- Enscorcelled Weapons

5 x Chaos Knights (200)

- Enscorcelled Weapons

- Javelins

- Javelins

- Javelins

Units

1 x Chaos Chariots (80)

- War Flails

1 x Chaos Chariots (80)

- War Flails

Battalions
Fatesworn Warband (120)

Summoning

Lord of Change (300)

- Lore of Change: Bolt of Tzeentch

Scenery

Balewind Vortex (100)

Total: 2000/200

Thanks for all the help guys!

On 2/20/2017 at 5:57 PM, Arkiham said:

You qualify for multiple allegiances, such as Tzeentch, Slaves to darkness, chaos, Everchosen, by taking the fatesworn warband. 

You gain Everchosen by taking the units for the battalion, this is in the faq, mentioning sylvaneth as a example.

You always qualify for these things as the whole list contains all these keyword things, unless you add something which doesn't. For instance a bloodthirster. Then you only qualify for Chaos.

This is because the bloodthirster only contains the chaos  keyword which matches up against the rest of the army.

If you add the varanguard into the list you can't run the knights as battleline as the list has lost the slaves to darkness keyword as someone else is in the list without it. So you could still be Tzeentch, chaos.

You can pick any allegiance you qualify for and still qualify for the rest of the requirements.

If I'm not mistaken. Varnagaurd would break the tzeentch keyword. They are bestowed in the hero phase the ability to be tzeentch, not on setup like the slaves to darkness can be. In effect, varangaurd would break the Slaves to darkness and tzeentch, leaving you only with CHAOS. Kind of a bummer.... I think it was said in a FAQ that this is why they can't be added into the fatesworn , plaguebound, or pleasurebound battalions. 

I hope I can piggy back this and ask a question about equipment 

Just picked up the Start Collecting StD - what's the opinion re: Knights weapons vs Chariot Equpment? I see a lot of people say Gorebeast over regular due to the chance for it to do a big 6 attacks for 2 damage, vs 3, and Glaives seem to give Chaos some much needed rend on the charge! 

6 hours ago, DynamicCalories said:

I hope I can piggy back this and ask a question about equipment 

Just picked up the Start Collecting StD - what's the opinion re: Knights weapons vs Chariot Equpment? I see a lot of people say Gorebeast over regular due to the chance for it to do a big 6 attacks for 2 damage, vs 3, and Glaives seem to give Chaos some much needed rend on the charge! 

the glaives are good on the charge, but that's it. swords are better overall. especially with fatesworn

gorebeasts are good on the long charge as the explosive attacks coming out of it you get a chance of mortal wounds for models within 2", if you run them in and position them sidewards they could be within range of like 20 models for the mortal wound damage ( but then you get attacked more ) and then you attack and do more attacks from the long charge

marking them as tzeentch gives them what slaves to darkness lacks, rend. ( if you run fatesworn ) i've wondered if you run them in the fatesworn warband that the flail might be better as you could do more attacks per model, on average i think you do an extra 1. 

I'm Nurgle AF at the minute so they're gonna be green, I was really just curious as to the rend/charge potential as in hte handful of games I have had now Nurgle tend to hit like a wet cloth.

I think I have been convinced to magnetise my Knight's weapons though, because I want to be able to switch.

Archived