Slaves to Darkness Cavalry List (1k, 1.5k, 2k)

BootyKnight

So I was thinking about running an all cavalry slaves to darkness list and was hoping you guys could give me some advice and criticism on it. 

Spoiler

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness

Leaders

Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount (140)

- General

- Trait: Lord of War

- Artefact: Chaos Runeblade

- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch

Battleline

5 x Chaos Knights (200)

- Chaos Glaives

- Slaves to Darkness Battleline

5 x Chaos Knights (200)

- Enscorcelled Weapons

5 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (100)

- Javelins

- Javelins

Units

1 x Chaos Gorebeast Chariots (100)

- Greatblades

Battalions

Ruinbringer Warband (80)

Total: 920/1000

Spoiler

Leaders

- General

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (140)

Battleline
5 x Chaos Knights (200)

- Chaos Glaives

5 x Chaos Knights (200)

- Enscorcelled Weapons

5 x Chaos Knights (200)

- Enscorcelled Weapons

- Javelins

- Javelins

Units
3 x Chaos Gorebeast Chariots (300)

- Greatblades

Battalions
Ruinbringer Warband (80)

Total: 1460/1500

Spoiler

Leaders

- General

Battleline
10 x Chaos Knights (400)

- Chaos Glaives

5 x Chaos Knights (200)

- Enscorcelled Weapons

5 x Chaos Knights (200)

- Enscorcelled Weapons

10 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (200)

- Javelins

- Javelins

Units
3 x Chaos Gorebeast Chariots (300)

- Greatblades

Battalions
Ruinbringer Warband (80)

Total: 2000/2000

Also, how would you expand this to 2.5K? I was thinking of getting a warshrine in there and maybe a lord on manticore but those two are already worth 500pts. 

Thanks!

Are you wanting to stay Undivided for fluff purposes or just because you didn't have any Godly things in there?

Marking it Nurgle could have you using the Harbinger of Decay for a 5++.  Marking it Tzeentch could give you access to the Tzeentch spells, traits and magic items?

Maybe something to consider.  I am/was going to do up a similar list since I like the idea of it and I haven't used any of my cavalry models since cavalry isn't very interesting to me for some reason.

agreed, give it a mark maybe the destiny dice will be great, you can equip your lord on daemonic mount with some nice items which allows him to hit majorly hard once per game. 4 damage on his weapon and 3 damage from his mount, really surprise your opponent, makes him tankier also as he rerolls all failed save rolls, 

Mark everything Tzeentch.

As long as all your guys are Slaves to Darkness you still get Knights as Battleline.  This was a trick I just learned from @Arkiham today!

I forgot, Harbinger isn't Slaves to Darkness so don't bother with that.

You will need to take a look at the Tzeentch stuff to see if its worth taking over Chaos. But yeah, for the minor action of saying everying is MoT you can get access to the new Tzeentch goodies.  The Destiny Dice may be awesome for garauntee charges when you drop Ruinbringer on a suckah.

5 minutes ago, Goodwin said:

As long as all your guys are Slaves to Darkness you still get Knights as Battleline.  This was a trick I just learned from @Arkiham today!

You will need to take a look at the Tzeentch stuff to see if its worth taking over Chaos. But yeah, for the minor action of saying everying is MoT you can get access to the new Tzeentch goodies.  The Destiny Dice may be awesome for garauntee charges when you drop Ruinbringer on a suckah.

Whaaaaaat. That is nice lol. I'll go check the new DoT stuff out and compare, learning new things everyday! 

8 hours ago, Goodwin said:

I had assumed that you would have to declare Slaves to Darkness allegiance in order to take the Knights as battleline, which would preclude you from taking the Tzeentch allegiance abilities. I'm very new to this though and still figuring bits out, so happy to be proved wrong, particularly as I'd like to add some Chaos Knights to my theoretical Tzeentch army!

I think adding knights to Tzeentch wouldn't be an issue since you can just stick them with the Mark of Tzeentch and they gain the Tzeentch keyword and not break allegiance. I don't think they'll be battleline for you though. I don't know if the reverse will work though to let you take Tzeentch abilities but stay with the StD battlelines.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If the whole army is StoD, then you can listbuild on that basis (i.e. Knights as Battleline) and still pick a different allegiance (Ironjawz are a good example of how listbuilding requirements precede choice of allegiance pack - they build a list based on Ironjawz allegiance, but then pick the Destruction Allegiance pack). I've considered building a pure StoD army which fits within the Fatesworn Warband (for the rend) with a couple of Chaos Sorceror Lords thrown in. This would then be Tzeentch allegiance as well, so Destiny Dice etc.. You would need to summon a LoC in game I suspect and a few other trade offs (like no Gaunt Summoner), but worth a look.

Mara Cavalry with Javelins are also surprisingly decent when everything has rend -1 - Javelins, rider melee and horses!

@Nico man that is so good lol. How do you suggest I adjust my list to accommodate the Fatesworn Warband? I was thinking for 2K it would look something like

Spoiler

Allegiance: Tzeentch

Leaders
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)
- General
- Trait: Blessing of Tzeentch - Tzeentch Mortal Hero
- Artefact: Daemonheart 
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
- Runestaff
- Runestaff

Battleline
5 x Chaos Knights (200)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
- Slaves to Darkness Battleline
5 x Chaos Knights (200)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (200)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (200)
- Ensorcelled Weapons

Units
3 x Chaos Chariots (240)
- War flails

Battalions
Fatesworn Warband (120)

Total: 1980/2000

Essentially just swapping out the Ruinbringer Warband & 3 Gorebeasts for the Fatesworn & 3 Regular Chariots. What do you think? I'm not 100% on the Lord of Change for 2k since it's an expensive unit both dollar wise and points wise. 

Imho gorebeasts are really strong with rend since they do 2 damage at attack. Also the guy on the chariot has a nice -2 rend with the great weapon.

Marauders horsemen are surely the big deal with -1 on shooting and melee. Not quite sure about the knights (at this pount ensorcelled weapons are far better than glaives imho)

About the general equipment, i think there is an item that gives -1 rend on one weapon. He could reach a really rare -3 rend !

Also i think that a big unit of knights and 2 small of 5 is way better than 4*5 knights

4 hours ago, shadowgra said:

Imho gorebeasts are really strong with rend since they do 2 damage at attack. Also the guy on the chariot has a nice -2 rend with the great weapon.

Marauders horsemen are surely the big deal with -1 on shooting and melee. Not quite sure about the knights (at this pount ensorcelled weapons are far better than glaives imho)

About the general equipment, i think there is an item that gives -1 rend on one weapon. He could reach a really rare -3 rend !

Also i think that a big unit of knights and 2 small of 5 is way better than 4*5 knights

The rend doesn't increase unless your hero has taken an item/ability from the disciples of tzeentch book.

The fatesworn warband only gives 1 rend, not increases it by 1

1 hour ago, shadowgra said:

Gorebeast is great, but I would rather have another 5 marauder horsemen and a regular chariot instead. 

Or you could keep the Gorebeast, only have two units of 5 Horsemen, and then take a regular Chariot. 

That 80 point hole in the 1 and 1.5k lists is too big.

I'm still confused with this Allegiance stuff.  In the GH it seems to say you need to choose one of however many Allegiances you qualify for.  In the Pitched Battle stuff it says knights are battleline if you choose StD Allegiance doesn't it?  So can you really choose both?

Same concern with Fatesworn as it has Everchosen above it, and Allegiance says all units and battalions have to be the same allegiance?

Hope you can clear it up for me.  I don't wanna have someone yell at me!

40 minutes ago, Goodwin said:

I'm still confused with this Allegiance stuff.  In the GH it seems to say you need to choose one of however many Allegiances you qualify for.  In the Pitched Battle stuff it says knights are battleline if you choose StD Allegiance doesn't it?  So can you really choose both?

Same concern with Fatesworn as it has Everchosen above it, and Allegiance says all units and battalions have to be the same allegiance?

Hope you can clear it up for me.  I don't wanna have someone yell at me!

You qualify for multiple allegiances, such as Tzeentch, Slaves to darkness, chaos, Everchosen, by taking the fatesworn warband. 

You gain Everchosen by taking the units for the battalion, this is in the faq, mentioning sylvaneth as a example.

You always qualify for these things as the whole list contains all these keyword things, unless you add something which doesn't. For instance a bloodthirster. Then you only qualify for Chaos.

This is because the bloodthirster only contains the chaos  keyword which matches up against the rest of the army.

If you add the varanguard into the list you can't run the knights as battleline as the list has lost the slaves to darkness keyword as someone else is in the list without it. So you could still be Tzeentch, chaos.

You can pick any allegiance you qualify for and still qualify for the rest of the requirements.

8 minutes ago, Goodwin said:

But because Fatesworn is Everchosen and not Tzeentch don't you now technically have something that isn't Tzeentch in the army?

Really sorry for the trouble. >.<

Nope because everything is marked with tzeench giving it the tzeench key word.

@Arkiham so if I'm understanding this correctly, I could run Mono StD with Marks of Tzeentch then keep Chaos Knights & Marauder Horsemen as Battleline and also be able to use the Tzeentch Battle Traits (Destiny Dice), Command traits, & Artefacts, right? Also, by summoning in Lord of Change I'm able to keep the StD Battleline? Man this opens up so many possibilities. 

@Aspirant Snaeper I haven't finished with the Chariots yet as I was still trying to figure out how to magnetize them and this makes me feel so much better about that lol. I was so enamored by the Gorebeast damage output I didn't think that taking a regular chariot would allow me to field more troops lol. I tunnel visioned gorebeasts into my list hard. 

I think I'll go with the Regular Chariot for 1k games then go with unit of 3 Regular Chariots in 1.5k games, this will also allow me to field 5 extra horsemen for both game sizes like you were saying. It rounds up the list nicely at exactly 1k & 1.5k. Thanks for pointing that out! 

2 hours ago, BootyKnight said:

@Arkiham so if I'm understanding this correctly, I could run Mono StD with Marks of Tzeentch then keep Chaos Knights & Marauder Horsemen as Battleline and also be able to use the Tzeentch Battle Traits (Destiny Dice), Command traits, & Artefacts, right? Also, by summoning in Lord of Change I'm able to keep the StD Battleline? Man this opens up so many possibilities. 

Yes.

Archived