Greetings...Help required

Murteltheturtle

Hi all

I've never posted on a public forum before, so my apologies if i start to waffle on...

Like many of you i used to play WHFB back in the day (4th ed i think). I fell off the wagon and now find myself having an interest in little toy men again.

I've never actually played a game of AoS, barring a 10 minute demo game in a store. Which was a little off putting as the store manager was a bit too enthusiastic for my liking, bless him. 

I bought the starter set, a couple of pots of paint and a brush or two, so my journey began once again.

It was more of a nostalgia trip at first, the intention was to get it all setup to have a game with the missus on the kitchen table...i thought it would be a phase that would be out of the system in no time...i was wrong!

It's the painting side that's most appealing, a stress release. Sitting down for an evening, a glass of wine some tunes, lovely.

The reason for my post is this. I need some help...I've decided on going all in now. I want to assemble an army with the intention of attending a tournament next year. If i only ever do it once, then so be it. But where do i begin? 

My leanings are towards an Empire/Dwarf combi. I like the Empire toys but am not really interested in their troop selection. I do like the idea of Dwarven battleline troops though. I still have a few metal models from way back when, Karl Franz (no deathclaw for some reason) Gotrek and Felix, some wizards etc. I just have no clue on how to put together a legit army. I have a little bit of pocket money to spend on the project - £250.

I'd be interested to hear any suggestions, what models are nice to paint? What would provide some decent output on the table top? Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you for taking your time to read my post.

W

I am in the exact same boat as you (except I started with WHFB 1st edition/Rogue Trader so I have tons of old figs).

I used to run Dark Elves and High Elves and don't see Battle Tomes for those.  I also don't fully understand whether the Battle Tomes supersede the General's Book or vice versa.  And it seems some of the rules/warscrolls are in the campaign books too?'

If all of the stuff is in the General's book do you need a Battle Tome?  How about Campaign books?  I was fooling around with an Army builder online thing and I could not figure out what was what for Dark Elves and it was missing entries from the APP based Warscrolls.

A bit confused where to start.  Is there any point trying to assemble an army of old GW miniatures or 3rd party figures?  Would they let me even play at a GW store let alone a tournament with a hodge podge of Old models, 3rd party models, custom models, and maybe a new figure or two (if they ever get around to D.E.)?

@Murteltheturtle Welcome! I'm afraid I am not the best source of knowledge for the Order side, but no reason you can't have an army of dwarfen troops supported by empire science and wizardry. All your old GW models are still usable, though would need comparable warscrolls e.g. Gotrek would be one of the fyreslayer characters.

@Travis Baumann The Grand Alliance:Order book and the General's Handbook should have you covered. The Aelves haven't had a book themselves yet. The General's Handbook covers how to play the different versions, whether Open, Narrative, or Matched. Any of the rules in matched may overrule those on a units warscroll. If you have any specific questions this is a great place to ask :) Campaign books just feature additional stuff, none of them are needed. Even the General's handbook isn't needed if you aren't looking at Matched play yet. A GW store and/or tournament will never let you use anything not GW. They would allow old models, but nothing else.

Welcome @Murteltheturtle - the great thing about AoS is that you can play what you want (within the alliances) - you want an empire / dwarf combo? Go for it - even if it's not the most competitive* - find a group that plays similarly narrative lists and have fun with it. Also, in this game, anything can hurt anything, there's no such thing as a useless model. You might be interested in looking at some of the narrative battles on war hammer Tv - I think the hallow guild used a mixture of free people's and dwarves.

Welcome - have fun. Whereabouts are you in the U.K.? Let's find you some people to play with...

1 hour ago, Travis Baumann said:

I am in the exact same boat as you (except I started with WHFB 1st edition/Rogue Trader so I have tons of old figs).

I used to run Dark Elves and High Elves and don't see Battle Tomes for those.  I also don't fully understand whether the Battle Tomes supersede the General's Book or vice versa.  And it seems some of the rules/warscrolls are in the campaign books too?'

If all of the stuff is in the General's book do you need a Battle Tome?  How about Campaign books?  I was fooling around with an Army builder online thing and I could not figure out what was what for Dark Elves and it was missing entries from the APP based Warscrolls.

A bit confused where to start.  Is there any point trying to assemble an army of old GW miniatures or 3rd party figures?  Would they let me even play at a GW store let alone a tournament with a hodge podge of Old models, 3rd party models, custom models, and maybe a new figure or two (if they ever get around to D.E.)?

Dude, get the app and GHB and you have everything to use in your first few games - don't even need the ghb really. As soul smith said no official gw store is going to let you use third party stuff but old stuff is fine. See if you can find a local gaming store near you (whereabouts are you?) they will let you play with proxies if thy know what's good for them!

Thanks TerrorPenguin, I am in Los Angeles (between Hollywood and Beverly Hills).  There are not any shops really close to me but I will look into it.  I have been to the GW store in Glendale... it is small but nice and the owner/manager guy seems really cool.   I bought into a Raging Heroes kickstarter and got some awesome Dark Elf miniatures so was hoping to be able to play a game with them (I have not played GW in like 20 years so defaulted back to looking into their stuff just out of nostalgia and what I thought was familiarity but I am open to other game systems too, I just always liked GW and liked the community which a lot of systems lack).

I understand their not wanting 3rd party stuff to a point but enthusiasm for the game systems I was hoping would have been more important, especially for tournaments but like I said, I have so many old GW figures it is not funny.   I grew up with points and list building so would like to keep it in what I guess is now "matched play".

Also, where are the rules/discussion about "Keywords" that I keep seeing?  It is not in the main rules pamphlet and does not make sense to me.

1 hour ago, TerrorPenguin said:

Welcome - have fun. Whereabouts are you in the U.K.? Let's find you some people to play with...

@TerrorPenguin

Cheers mate. I'm in West Sussex, I'm not quite ready for any games yet. I need to get some models together first. My problem is that looking through the Order book there are to many nice models and to many army possibillities. I could spend a fortune and end up not having a clue what to do with it all.

I do want a steam tank a witch hunter and a unit of iron drakes for sure though! I guess that's a good place to start right?

Hi again guys

I've taken the plunge and ordered me some models. I had a rough idea of the direction i was heading in. This is going to be a slow burn project over the next year. 

Apologies if i get their official names wrong, I'm still working in old money terms...

1x Dragonlord

15x Dragon Princes

1x Dragon Nobel

1x Loremaster

20x Greatswords

1x Witch hunter

1x Steam Tank

1x Celestial Hurricanum 

10x Glade guard

I'll try and keep this thread updated as and when i complete models, if anyone cares?!

Go me, yay..

Archived