Painting/ building Ironjawz

ADDriot

Hi all

Looking to begin a small Ironjawz force. The faces and chests of the models seem quite obscured by the armour so I though of leaving the chest plates off of the models first and painting the flesh before completing the build. Only worry is that there will be visible gaps/lines once I put the armour on and I'm not sure how to fill those gaps having already primed and started painting. Any ironjawz hobbyists care to offer some advice. Thanks in advance!

I´ve been building and painting Ironjawz for the last 3 months or so (quite slowly actually). It´s a lot easier to paint skin, bones and clothes without the armor, especially on brutes and gruntas. 

Megaboss and warchanter have some hard to get points on the chest and neck if fully assembled too. Again, a lot easier to paint those parts first and then glue the armor.

I wish I could throw some more pictures of how I do it. I really need to start taking WIP photos. 

IMG_20161219_134620[1].jpg

ba8e101d63ae509aac31177e2962d5fa.jpg

I did my brutes the same way. Chest and back pieces off. Then glued them on after.

One thing I did was put some old blue tack on the nipple connections for the chest and some painters tape on the back. That way I can have nice bare plastic to use a touch of plastic glue to glue them on after.

I've done 5 brutes this way and it worked out great. Can post pictures of them later if you'd like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey @ADDriot,

I have painted a large Ironjawz army including 30 Brutes. I did not paint them using sub-assemblies and did not encounter any problems whatsoever.

If you are going to do so though, I would recommend using plastic glue with a long thin nozzle (the humbrol one is idea) to attach the pieces once painted. Seems like a faff though!!

If you base coat in black, and paint from the deepest places upwards, then forgoing sub-assemblies can cut out a lot of time, while still achieving a well painted miniature. If you mess up a little, you can always do a minor touch up during your final base coat detail run. I can see why people do it, but personally I like just busting them out in one go and I'm happy with the results.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Archived