Averland sunset and nuln oil

Temp

Ok so I have finally made a decision and going to pick up a get starting ironjawz box. I like the yellow armour scheme but I am wanting to make it darker. Would a coat/s of nuln oil darken the yellow of averland sunset?  Or would it just be better to put several base coats of yellow on.

thanks

Temp

In short, no not really.  Nuln oil on Yellow just makes it look nasty as it takes the warmth out of the colour,  You'd be better off finding another darker yellow to start with, Vallejo has a good range of yellows or GW Ballor Brown is quite a yellowy brown.  

Seraphim Sepia and Agrax Earthshade or Cassandora Yellow and Fuegan Orange all work much better with yellow than nuln oil, it really depends how orange you want to go as to which you use, but the thing with yellow is it's really the highlights that actually make it look yellow.

Another thing you can do is paint it a browny colour then glaze it with lamentors yellow... so many options, hope that helps.

Yeah that's been a big help saves me from messing up a model trying it out, as I am v new to painting I'll stick with base and shade I think so I'll do some digging tonight. Buying the stuff tomorrow so I'll stick some picks up when I start to get em painted

i use nuln oil on averland sunset, It stays bright but just adds a layer of grime to the top. It won't really dull the colour like it would other colours since yellow shows up where the wash streaks and pools, which can be a great way to add layers of mud/dirt ect. 

I dunno, it doesn't give a good dirty/grimy look. Dirt and grime are rarely jet black, after all, nuln works best on dark colours or metals.

Something like Agrax will fit better tonally, perhaps with a touch of Nuln Oil mixed in if you really want deep shadows. As Lord Duncan has commanded us, though, multiple thin washes are better than a heavy one!

Hi there, I saw your post just as I was starting to paint this guy:21d0cd37209a32ca8beee1af773456c3.jpg
So thought as I was using averland I'd have a little play for you! I had a gnoblar knocking about so used this to demonstrate. Worth noting I use brown undercoat - I think it definitely helps make the yellow more natural and earthy but doesn't require the layers the black does. Anyway, the shield was painted averland and washed with agrx, the hammer was washed with reikland:
9341a36897267eec8fdda3032515a062.jpg
Reikland gives youba warmer tone but I found it doesn't give particularly good definition, unlike the agrax which I think does both quite nicely. If it's any use, here's a squig I painted using averland, agrax, averland again over raised areas and highlights of averland mixed with ushabti bone.
59ef03f5d137f02dcc3b7c78db3f071f.jpg
Not the best lighting for the pic but hope it gives sone idea!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Wow thank you for the reply's. They have all been very helpful. I have picked up the ironjawz get starter set today and have built the warchanter doing the armour separate to make it easier. I think I have settled on agrax on top of the yellow I'll stick a pic up when it's looking half decent.

thanks again for the help

When thinking about colours it might help to differentiate between hue, brightness and saturation. Changing the hue means shifting along the colour spectrum - red to orange to yellow to green, etc. Changing the brightness means highlighting up towards white or shading down towards a deeper, darker version of the base colour. Saturation means highlighting up towards a more intense version of the base colour, or shading down towards grey/black.

I find that to get the most visually satisfying results when shading or highlighting, you want to shift both the hue and brightness, without shifting the saturation. Washing a bright primary colour with Nuln Oil is essentially going to desaturate the base colour and make it look drab and dirty, whilst having little to no effect on the hue and brightness - which may be what you're looking for in some cases and can work over some colours, but generally not yellow. So to shift the hue for yellow you might shade with Fuegan Orange. To shift the brightness you might use Seraphim Sepia. To shift both the hue and brightness you might consider shading with Reikland Fleshshade. You could even experiment with one thin layer of Fuegan Orange followed by a thin layer of Seraphim Sepia, or some other combination, to fine tune the effect on the yellow.

Agrax Earthshade is pretty dark, so while it will shift the hue and brightness, it will also noticeably desaturate the yellow and cause similar issues to Nuln Oil, just to a lesser extreme. But again, it depends on what you're looking for, and if you do want a slightly dirty look then go for it.

So I went with agrax I think it's looks ok but I'll definitely change the wash for the next one I do maybe fleshshade. Which ever I way I go I have really enjoyed building/painting him and can't wait to get the rest of the box built.

let me know what you think of the pics.

thanks 

Temp

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

Archived