Optimal drop numbers

Maddok

I'd like to get a discussion started around the optimal number of drops, and where the drop off in value is for taking formations to reduce drop count.

My curiousity around this started with the new Tzeentch book. With many 3 unit formations for between 20 and 80 points, it seems like a valid tactic to reduce drops by two. With most of my lists though, I come up with about 11 drops with no formations, or about 6 with roughly 140 points of formations.

I realize the artifacts can be handy, but in my mind I'm treating that as an added bonus. If an army can spend a hundred or so points to get down to 8 drops, is that worth it? Should that just be spent on troops? Is 6 drops the target number where that becomes worth it? What do you think?

Well, battalions I suppose are the best start. Tunneling for Fyreslayers doesn't help much as those count as drops unless the RGW tunneling battalions are used (otherwise that'd be kinda cheesy, even though we need all the help we can get;)). So, finish deploying first, choose who goes first. I do plan lists often to try and drop less so I can decide who goes first. For an event, this often (depending on event) comes to: combine hearthguard into 15-20 or combine vulkites to larger unit tunneled and if using Lords of Lodge for example, deploy together.

I am assuming that by "drops" you mean "deployments"? I've never heard anyone use the phrase "drops" before.

Deployment is an important consideration for list building and you certainly get an advantage for running lists composed of only a single battalion that can deploy all at once. That said I don't think there is some "magic number" of deployments you should try to build your list around, and instead you should focus on your overall strategy and unit synergies as those are far more important than getting to choose who goes first.

If your list only works if you get to choose who goes first then it is a bad list!

Yes by drops I mean deployments. Common lingo here in the States for the tournament scene, should have clarified.

Obviously single drop armies are fantastic be it WB or others. I'm just curious where people think the diminishing returns are. Basically, if you can pay points to reduce your number of drops, what number is a magic (ish) number for it to be worth it. 5-6 seems very strong to me, but Id love to get others' take on this

Archived