Returning painter and son

Praecautus

Hi all,

I want to show some of my attempts at painting - I have not painted models for over 20 years and I am currently painting Khorne and Seraphon armies with my young son. I'd like to show a few pieces if I may with the aim to get some constructive feedback so I can improve and also help my son learn with what I can teach him. And also to motivate me to build and paint both armies

First off is 'Bob' the carnosaur and his old blood rider called Old Blood - leader of my sons Master of Orion Seraphon army and scourge of Khorne bloodbound warbands in kitchens across the land. Note the spare deathbringer head, I think the rest was a snack :)

Bob was my first large model in a looooong time, we built him together over Christmas and shared some of the painting, he took us about 20 hours over several evenings. I like the red scales and the dark blue set of spines down Bob's back. His underbelly could be improved, the rider is ok, but could do with some highlights.

Any constructive advice welcome.

Bob.JPG

Welcome back to the hobby :D  I think I'd be happy with this as a joint "first" attempt!

Some highlights would certainly help.  Depending on how much longer you want to spend working on this (you might just want to hop into the next project), I'd be tempted to highlight the gold and turquoise colours - quick and dirty way of doing the gold would be using the Citadel Golden Griffon to drybrush on all of the gold areas (use a small drybrush and go steady so you don't get it over any other areas).  For a more traditional way I'd use Liberator Armour to apply an edge highlight using a smaller brush.

13 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Welcome back to the hobby :D  I think I'd be happy with this as a joint "first" attempt!

Some highlights would certainly help.  Depending on how much longer you want to spend working on this (you might just want to hop into the next project), I'd be tempted to highlight the gold and turquoise colours - quick and dirty way of doing the gold would be using the Citadel Golden Griffon to drybrush on all of the gold areas (use a small drybrush and go steady so you don't get it over any other areas).  For a more traditional way I'd use Liberator Armour to apply an edge highlight using a smaller brush.

Thank you for advice! I will look into doing some dry brushing on the gold sections, as we have a lot to build and paint, quick is good by me at the moment.

We do how some more photos of various WIP units/projects so more photos to come :)

1 minute ago, Praecautus said:

Thank you for advice! I will look into doing some dry brushing on the gold sections, as we have a lot to build and paint, quick is good by me at the moment.

We do how some more photos of various WIP units/projects so more photos to come :)

Ace!  There's no reason why you can't go back to models and add more details at a later date, it's actually a lot less daunting to do this than keep staring at a mountain of grey plastic you need to assemble.

Not sure if you've found them, but I would thoroughly recommend the WarhammerTV tutorials on YouTube, they're a good source of picking up the basics of how the Citadel paint system works - things have changed quite a lot in 20 years!

It certainly has. Dry brushing and inks had only just come out. The models now are incredible and paint very easily. I remember it being a battle painting the lead style.

here are some of more. Sorry it is not the best photo I am afraid. these are 4 of my 8 Deadly Sinners. Bit of a wip as some highlight needed - I  in the process of adding to my palette of colours. 

image.jpg

Are you using Agrellan Earth on the bases?  If so, you may want to make it a little thicker.  I've been using it on my Necrons.  I paint the base Dryad Bark, then put on a thick coat.  Wait 24 hours, thin Cassandora Yellow with some Lahmia Medium, then dry brush with Tyrant Skull.  I then glue a couple of wasteland tufts from army painter and paint the rim Dryad Bark.  Gives a nice desert badlands look.

Otherwise, great start.  I wish I could get my son to finish his Seraphon...

3 hours ago, Redking said:

Are you using Agrellan Earth on the bases?  If so, you may want to make it a little thicker.  I've been using it on my Necrons.  I paint the base Dryad Bark, then put on a thick coat.  Wait 24 hours, thin Cassandora Yellow with some Lahmia Medium, then dry brush with Tyrant Skull.  I then glue a couple of wasteland tufts from army painter and paint the rim Dryad Bark.  Gives a nice desert badlands look.

Otherwise, great start.  I wish I could get my son to finish his Seraphon...

Thanks for the tip, yes we are use Agrellan earth and it had been on my mind how to improve the bases. Will give this a go.

Looking good so far :)  The new paints available and plastic models does make life significantly less painful than the lead/white metal era!  

16 hours ago, Praecautus said:

I  in the process of adding to my palette of colours.

You'll likely be adding colours to your range for the rest of your life :D

So we went to our games workshop in Manchester today and I spent some time teaching my son (8) how to paint his Saurus warriors. We painted these 4, I did the two on the left and he did the two on the right.

Redking, we are trying your base idea. Only added the bark in this image but looks neat and vast improvement on black. The earth has just been added now is drying overnight. So far loving it - wanted to say thankyou!

i will add some eyes and teeth later.

Runebrush, I got some gold to try dry brushing with, will show results

IMG_1157.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

So it's been a few days, but we entered the carnosaur following a dry brush of gold (ty rune brush ) in our local gw beginners painting competition and came second! We will be entering the next as will my daughter (5)

here is my latest effort - 4 cold ones, they need riders and bases yet. Not sure about the underbelly (I am trying to convince myself they are ethereal and brought back from the dead) but pleased with the faces. My son does not know I did this, they will be set up at his place on the table for breakfast :)

i won't leave the beer for him...

IMG_1185.JPG

Archived