Skarbrand's Anger

Adasi

Question

For the purpose of these questions, please assume that Skarbrand has not fought in battle round 1 and we're now in the hero phase of the controlling players Battle Round 2.

Things i'm sure of:

Skarbrand is now incandescant and will remain so, regardless of wounds until the controlling players battle round 3 hero phase whereby you check his wounds taken unless this is once again overridden by him not having fought in battle round two.

Things i need clearing up:

His rules say that "Skarbrand can use his rage to fuel one or more of the following abilities...If he is incandescent he can use five" Now i have always played that if he uses one ability it "spends" a level of anger and he would move down one (in this case to "enraged"). I always "spent" a point of anger to allow me to re-roll the "to hit" for carnage (as together with wrathmongers and Bloodsecrator; those three attacks are worth 24 MW!) as i always felt the re-rolling of carnage was worth the loss of one attack of slaughter (7>6)

So here goes:

1) Does he actually "move down" an anger level? Someone pointed it out to me that no where does it say he does. It just says you can use 5 abilities...if i'm wrong here then he's even better than i thought! As essentially he can use all the re-rolls and a roar of total carnage and still wreck face!

2) Have i been playing his attacks right? We've played that his attacks (and by association, his total carnage roll) are determined by his anger? So if he didn't fight in BR1, then BR2 he's swinging 7 Slaughter attacks...and carnage on a 1+

3) Big one - does he EVER go down a level of anger? His texts says he "starts angry but this may change" and then goes on to say "If skarbrand was not able to attack in at least one of the previous combat phases of the previous battle round he is always incandescent" (emphasis my own)

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated as i believe I've been playing it RAI but someone on Facebook kind of opened a can of thought and i think i'm coming round to his way thinking!

Regards

Adam

2 answers to this question

First off - I originally read the warscroll as you did.  However with various conversations and topics there's a few bits that I realised.

Slaughter and Carnage are determined based on the wounds suffered as per a normal damage table.  So he's making 4 attacks at BR1 (and BR2 in your example) and kicking off a Carnage on 5+.

His Rage simply determines how many Rage Abilities he can use.  He's Incandescent if he's not been fighting so can have five, but if he's had a punch up it's controlled by the wounds suffered.

So:

1) No, his Rage level lasts from your hero phase to your next one.  Determine it based on the wound suffered OR if it's BR2+ and he's not been in combat in the last phase he's automatically Incandescent

2) As outlined above, Slaughter and Carnage are based on the wounds suffered, it is not linked to the Rage mechanic

3) His Rage level is "recalculated" in each of your hero phases.  The "always" part of the ability relates to your current hero phase (as per the start of that paragraph block).

Archived