Help with a Color Scheme (Destruction)

Gauche

Hello,

I'm looking to get some help with a color scheme for my Destruction army which currently is planned to be mostly BoneSplitterz with a few Beastclaw models. I'm looking for something really simple both in looks and in terms of application. Unfortunately I'm not a painter, I've never enjoyed it and despite multiple lessons and trials I have very little talent for it. As sad as that is I've learned to cope with it and I'd still like to get my army tabletop ready, anything is better than bare plastic! :P

The one scheme I've been able to execute in the past was a wash heavy one that used dips. I made a "ghostly" Warmachine army with this scheme using an emerald green wash over white Primer and then going back to add some small details like eyes later. I'd like to do something like that again but incorporate dips since ghostly Orcs probably wouldn't make much sense, but I'm not sure it would look good on Bonesplitterz. I would like to keep something around that level of complexity though so I can get a finished army with a united scheme that stays within my abilities.

Does anyone have some advice for me on how to pull off a wash/dip scheme for Destruction and make it look the best I can? Or are there other, equally friendly options I'm not considering?

• 2 weeks later...

My suggestion would be to use a color primer from thearmypainter. They have three different green tones, see below. If you spray first, then fill in the missed spots, apply a shade and add details I think you will get pretty decent results for a minimal amount of time and effort. 

cp3024_600x450px_1.jpg

My answer isn't mainstream, but after experimenting with all of the Army Painter Quick Shades (soft, strong, and dark tones), I found that the soft tone was surprisingly the best, in my opinion.  The shading is more subtle, but the other "dips" more drastically tint the miniature so that the colors have less contrast.  Conventional wisdom usually calls for the strong tone (medium), and although it isn't as dark as the dark tone, it still tints the miniature so that it loses its brightness and contrast when viewed upon the tabletop.

My method is to simply block paint the miniature, using bright and contrasting colors, since we won't have the benefit of highlights to better define edges.  I then liberally paint on the quick shade with a brush, and soak up any excess that pools within recesses.  This should be done quickly since the quick shade starts gumming up fairly quickly.

I recently painted a test orc for blood bowl using Skarsnik Green and soft tone quick shade, which I thought turned out pretty well.  I don't have a photo of that model, unfortunately, but below are two example models using my method.

Example Soft Tone (Frostgrave Miniature):

FGfront_zpszykmnvjk.jpg

Example Strong Tone (Frostgrave Miniature):

IMG_20151220_155230_477_zpsw50wutip.jpg

Drybrushing techniques are usually a good way to build up painting confidence. For Orruks, a basecoat of green, wash in camoshade or sepia, drybrush a lighter green over the top.

If you're dead set on building up wash layers then alternate greens akd browns for the flesh, then detail up the bones and clothing

Archived