Getting Started with Death

Promethean

Morning all,

After getting some spare cash for Christmas (£150 ish) I'm looking at getting into a Death force and being able to play straightaway to a level around 1500 points for a campaign me and my buddy are getting into (points aren't too much to worry about given it's narrative)

so, that said - what are people's recommendations? I'm keen on maximising my money so think 2 x start collecting FEC boxes and one of the skeleton horde gives me a good start?

Or, would it be better to stick with the FEC and get 2 x SC FEC boxes and a box of crypt flayers, and another one of ghouls?

Finally, how critical is it to get the battletome for the FEC and the GA Death books?

thanks in advance all!

To be honest, I wouldn't get both boxes, speaking from experience what you will have is two small armies as there isn't a great deal of synergy between the two.

I would choose one or the other. FEC are the most well rounded and complete army in death at the moment

2 x FEC boxes gives you a ghoul king on terrorgheist , ghoul king, terrorgheist, 6 crypt horrors and twenty ghouls, which is a solid start. You would only need to add 20 more ghouls to get to 1500 points.

I would recommend (but check the warscrolls first).

2 x start collecting FEC boxes (£80)

1 x varghulf courtier (£20)

1 x ghouls (£20)

and then either add another box of ghouls or horrors depending on your play style. That should take you to a variety of builds for 2000 points. But the above is easily enough to get you started at 1500 points.

Also consider a necromancer who is horrible with crypt horrors.

30 minutes ago, TerrorPenguin said:

Also consider a necromancer who is horrible with crypt horrors.

I would highly recommend this option. I've added a 'dire wolf' to an oval base with the standard GW necro to add some mobility to him as he tends to get left behind otherwise. 

I see you've mentioned narrative play.

I don't want to be negative, but the timing of this thread is somewhat amusing. Death are at their weakest point competitively since AoS started as of yesterday. 

How committed are you to playing Death and are you planning to use this force at a competitive matched play event in the next 6 months? If you are not that committed to playing Death and you are planning to go to an event in the next 6 months (in the UK), then I could not recommend investing in a Death army. I suspect from the question, that this is not the case.

Death are excellent for narrative games. I would probably find the hero you find most interesting (could be one of the Deathlords/Mortarchs and they are all in the starter box). I'm happy to discuss any of them individually, if you say which ones interest you.  

You don't need the Death Battletome at all. It is handy and convenient, but if on that budget, then I would just use the app/download the scrolls for the units you want from the GW website and print them (I believe that the latter is permitted) and buy more models.

You could just buy the battalions for any FEC battalions on the app you wish to use. Only the Ghoul Patrol and the Royal Menagerie have grabbed my interest (and I've only used the former).

There is a lot of Flesh Eater Courts tactics on this forum that are still relevant. Try the search function - it's really good.

Don't take the Red Fury Trait - turning the Thundertusks from 5 mortal wounds on average (they have been known to roll ones for the 2+) to 10/3 mortal wounds on average is massive! Frankly it's a good match up. Just take 12 Crypt Horrors as a single unit, Ward Save spell from Vanhels).

The -1 to hit in combat on the Thundertusk is a pain though with 4+ to hit (that might point towards the GKoZD).

The Stonelord is a bigger problem for FEC, if they cast mystic shield on it and aren't stupid with it (like letting you get an alpha strike on it with Flappies using Cloak of Mists before it has even drunk battlebrew, then you'll probably lose the game. Be aware that even crippled, it will still deal out immense damage with battlebrew.

Cheers Nico,

To be honest, I'm starting narrative but with a longer term eye on events (and yes I'm in the UK) My biggest issue doing that up front is essentially a toddler ?

Im not completely wedded to Death, and have actually started up an Ironjawz army (own one SC box) but it doesn't feel like I get much more the money investing in them given Brutes are so expensive money wise comparatively to what I get under Death and I want a project to really get my teeth into (appreciate that this isn't the place for Ironjawz chat but that's my other option to spend the cash on)

im going to be writing the campaign for me and my friend (who is using Stormcasts) so it can be whatever I want it to be really. Once I've decided I can go all in.

Mortarch wise my favourite model is Arkhan so would have to be him for my first one at least if I did that.

i will have more cash coming through but I'm also attending the Horus Heresy weekender in Feb (don't judge me I like space lasers too!) so need to reserve some for Forge World goodies! Can add to it as I go through but just want a solid base to get going.

thanks for the advice all, appreciate it and it's keeping my brain occcupied on my first day back at work haha

I think I spent around that on my FEC, I used element games and got the big king vlag box set for a £110, then a starter box for £40, this gave me two kings with mounts, 12 horrors/flayers, a vargulf and around 30 or 40 ghouls. I found it to be a really good starting point, comes in at just under 2000pts

2 hours ago, Promethean said:

i will have more cash coming through but I'm also attending the Horus Heresy weekender in Feb (don't judge me I like space lasers too!) so need to reserve some for Forge World goodies!

Nothing wrong with this, we all know that resin is more addictive than plastic :P  (I'm working on a skeleton based death army and Porphyrion currently so feel the pain on spreading money out).

Im not completely wedded to Death, and have actually started up an Ironjawz army (own one SC box) but it doesn't feel like I get much more the money investing in them given Brutes are so expensive money wise comparatively to what I get under Death and I want a project to really get my teeth into (appreciate that this isn't the place for Ironjawz chat but that's my other option to spend the cash on)

im going to be writing the campaign for me and my friend (who is using Stormcasts) so it can be whatever I want it to be really. Once I've decided I can go all in.

Mortarch wise my favourite model is Arkhan so would have to be him for my first one at least if I did that.

You could probably do a list with 2 Death Starter Boxes (using FLGS if you can). Take Arkhan and also Neferata - she can be the general (never Arkhan). I suppose you could build Mannderp too, but he's expensive. 

I would build the Black Knights as Hexwraiths as they are (a) better anyway; and (b) more points per pound spent. You could make the Champion of 10 Hexwraiths into the general for a 5+ Ward save (so the Mortarchs don't drop dead when the Stormcast arrive).

Stormcast are a tolerable match up for Death.

Necbromancer can buff Skeletons or some FEC reinforcements.

Alternatively, you can build plenty of viable lists with FEC. However keep your eyes peeled for 2+, rerolling ones saves as these will shut down huge chunks of your army.

i will have more cash coming through but I'm also attending the Horus Heresy weekender in Feb (don't judge me I like space lasers too!) so need to reserve some for Forge World goodies! Can add to it as I go through but just want a solid base to get going.

Some of the models are insanely good looking.

Awesome. So I've just made a purchase thanks to you all.

have decided to go with FEC for now to get started so have gone for the battletome, 2 x SC boxes, a box of ghouls and another of crypt flayers so that feels like a solid base.

Thanks again for all the help and advice, another reason why AOS has trapped me in is the awesome people playing it. Hopefully see you all soon at an event (if I get a weekend pass from the family soon!)

10 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Nothing wrong with this, we all know that resin is more addictive than plastic :P  (I'm working on a skeleton based death army and Porphyrion currently so feel the pain on spreading money out).

Haha - it never ends! My mate is getting a Porphyron in Feb so am a bit jealous. It's why I wanted to get the purchases done early so am not tempted to buy more resin I don't need!

4 minutes ago, Promethean said:

Haha - it never ends! My mate is getting a Porphyron in Feb so am a bit jealous. It's why I wanted to get the purchases done early so am not tempted to buy more resin I don't need!

Know that feeling ;)  I plumped for two of the Skeleton Hoard boxes, grave guard and a few characters.  Keep having to remind myself that I need to get the bits I've bought done before I start looking at Zombie Dragons!  So many nice things coming out too

have decided to go with FEC for now to get started so have gone for the battletome, 2 x SC boxes, a box of ghouls and another of crypt flayers so that feels like a solid base.

Thanks again for all the help and advice, another reason why AOS has trapped me in is the awesome people playing it. Hopefully see you all soon at an event (if I get a weekend pass from the family soon!)

Good stuff.

Also note that Arkhan particularly does fit in an FEC army (at least gameplay wise). Reliable mystic shield is immense.

A bit late to the party, but if you enjoy the narrative, you absolutely must pick up the FEC battletome (which you said you now have, so good on ya). Arguably the most compelling lore written last year and if you're inclined, offers lots of inspiration for you to expand the army.

Also rather competitive so win-win with you looking to branch out to tournaments too [emoji12]

Sent by the voice of our missing Slaanesh

32 minutes ago, Thornshield said:

A bit late to the party, but if you enjoy the narrative, you absolutely must pick up the FEC battletome (which you said you now have, so good on ya). Arguably the most compelling lore written last year and if you're inclined, offers lots of inspiration for you to expand the army.

Also rather competitive so win-win with you looking to branch out to tournaments too emoji12.png

Sent by the voice of our missing Slaanesh

It's a good job I'd already made the right move otherwise the Slaanesh style temptations would have pushed me over the edge Ming! 

Escited to get going now, hoping I get my Element dispatch email anytime!

Archived