Duthru Solemn Guardian

Ian R

Question

Attacks on friendly a Sylvaneth hero in range which cause a wound can be "bounced" onto Duthru.  What is the sequence here?  My preference in this situation would be to do a save roll on the hero, if that fails then decide to put the wound on Duthru, then try to save with Duthru's save?  Is that right?  How is it being played? Thanks, Ian. 

8 answers to this question

Causing wounds happens before saves are made.
Sequence is ;
Attack hits hero
Attack wounds hero
Roll for solemn guardian
If passed, resolve remainder of attack (including any effects) on Spirit of Durthu - including saves.
Note, this is a per-attack deal, not per-wound.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

On this ability - can someone clarify for me whether it is compulsory or not. What I mean is, can we chose to bounce the wound or do we always have to roll for solemn guardian? There could be situations where, for example Spirit of Durthu was getting low on wounds and a nearby character takes a wound. Would we be able to choose not to activate solemn guardian in order to save Durthu?

1 hour ago, Nick in York said:

On this ability - can someone clarify for me whether it is compulsory or not. What I mean is, can we chose to bounce the wound or do we always have to roll for solemn guardian? There could be situations where, for example Spirit of Durthu was getting low on wounds and a nearby character takes a wound. Would we be able to choose not to activate solemn guardian in order to save Durthu?

Doesn't look that way to me. Just hope you roll low on the ability!

On 02/01/2017 at 7:06 PM, BaldoBeardo said:

Causing wounds happens before saves are made.
Sequence is ;
Attack hits hero
Attack wounds hero
Roll for solemn guardian

This is not entierly true.  A successful 'to wound roll' is followed by a bunch of stuff before you get at actually doing a wound.  

I would say that you complete your full attack sequence, including a damage roll then allocate wounds.  

At this stage you make your solemn guardian rolls, and a bonus 2nd armour save as described in the Spirit of Durthu rules.

I was referring to the wounding roll. Sorry, WFBitis...

I'd disagree on the 2nd save - "make a save as normal"?
When does a model get a save at the point of wound infliction?
It's just bad semantic control.
My money's still on transferring wounding hits. to SoD prior to damage calculation - it's the mechanic closest to the fluff out of the options.

It's badly worded. Actually, the core rules are badly worded, and this is just a side-effect.

It's definitely compulsory.

It says "you can make a save roll as normal", which suggests the rule is applied before saves are taken, against any attack for which a successful "to wound" roll is made.

At the same time, it says "if an attack… causes a wound", which doesn't actually happen until after damage has been determined.

I think the most RAW-literal interpretation would be that "save roll as normal" means the hero who was originally targeted gets a save, and the Spirit of Durthu doesn't. I suspect the intention was to have it go the other way around.

I'd happily play whichever of those two interpretations my opponent prefers, but I draw the line a taking two saves. That is not "as normal". Either the original hero gets the save, or the Spirit of Durthu. Not both.

Purposive be damned, GW could do with sending their rules team on a programming course... [emoji16]

I know fluff doesn't really count in these things, but to me the preamble for the rule reads as the SoD jumping in the way, which would suggest the save is on his armour - it also explains to an extent why it doesn't appear to be optional; the Sylvaneth heroes on foot have saves of 5+. Pretty cheap way to take out a treeman if not.

Archived