Making the most of Warherd Post-FAQ

Tullbeard

With the loss of the Bullgor Stampede battalion, i thought I'd make a topic to discuss possible ways to make the best of Warherd going forward.

First up, this reinforces the need to use Warherd units alongside a complimentary force of other Chaos Units. Skaven are a powerful option; to compliment the weaknesses of Warherd (numbers, ranged threat). Who knows, maybe there will even be a way to get them alongside Disciples of Tzeentch in the upcoming battalion.

Previously, when embedding Warherd in another army, a popular choice for 2k points games was to simply use 1k points of Warherd - I.e the Bullgor Stampede. Now, we don't have that to guide us. So a couple of things:

1. How many units of Bullgors do people think is a good number to take? Previously we needed 3; but now? Maybe just one or two big units? Or is the flexibility of 3 units too good to pass on?

2. Do we even need a Ghorgon? The Bullgors were always the stars of the show. Will people start skipping the Ghorgon? Or has he still got a place?

Anyone got any sample lists they think could be effective?

I personally still feel the ghorgon has a place, firstly because the psychological element of having a big monster will hopefully result in less shots going into the bullgors themselves, secondly he generates extra attacks easier than bullgors and is easier to fit into a combat (in terms of pile ins), lastly the model is awesome, may not factor into gameplay but certainly brings a lot to the army :) but yes as you've pointed out bullgors with great weapons are on balance probably superior (I plan on running a larger unit of 6 now that the stampede is dead)
I myself am planning on running them in conjunction with a furious brayherd to provide the numbers with some of the new tzeentch flyers to provide mobility and ranged threat :)

I may try a maxxed unit of 12 bullgors now. Then take 2 ghorgons a doombull and grab a plague priest and some of the brayherd. The ghorgons are better than the bullgors at taking on hordes with the easier extra attacks. With a plague priest and a doombull the could potentially hit and wound on 2s with 3s giving extra attacks.

1. How many units of Bullgors do people think is a good number to take? Previously we needed 3; but now? Maybe just one or two big units? Or is the flexibility of 3 units too good to pass on?

In the absence of the Battalion, the Ghorghon is useless as it's a monster and not a hero (so no artefact and no 3 Places of Power) - in circumstances where the Bullgors can provide -2 rend themselves!

You would take a single unit of 6, 9 or 12 Bullgors with double handed weapons, then stack buffs onto them (Lord of War, Daemonic Power, maybe Damned, maybe Mystical, definitely Crown of Conquest and definitely mystic shield - Wrathbros are epic!). You can add Sayl and lob them forwards or just waddle and hope you have enough to weather the pew pew.

As long as you have 6 left by the time you click the activate in combat button, almost everything touching them will explode (except really abnormal defences like -2 to hit or 3+, 4++ or a Treelord Ancient with Oaken Armour, Gnarled Warrior and Mystic Shield). Happily their banner adds 1 to Bravery all the time (not just in the hero phase), so you're always at least bravery 7 vs a Mourngul (since it is an enemy unit)! 

You could put them as one half of a Little Archaon Army, with some other heroes with command abilities and units elsewhere as well as Battleline; or as the core of a Big Archaon Army. This allows you to keep the command ability of the Doombull, stack it and build in redundancy with 2 Doombulls. 

It will be fun at least - extremely rock paper scissors/swingy. You'll still get crushed by a Max Julian style army @grunnlock Fanatics at the front blocking you and then triple snowball is 3 dead models; and then Stonelord (the Stonelord will happily do 35 wounds of damage to your unit if you don't get mystic shield on.

How awesome would a Tzaangor version of a Bullgor be!

Game 2 at Honour & Glory was when I encounted Warherd (with the Battalion). Very fun game.

If you stick to the allegiance without the Battalion, the army isn't competitive in any way. Not least since it doesn't have mystic shield!

6 hours ago, Hebroseph said:

What changed in the faq for war herd?

Nothing specifically targeted Warherd,  but they've tightened up the rules on batallions.

Previously, people played with a bit of leniency around the Warscroll Batallions. In the example of Warherd, the Bullgor Stampede warscroll battalion has points in the generals handbook (suggesting its suitability for use in Matched Play), but the batallion itself refers to 3 units of 'Minotaurs' and not the recently renamed 'Bullgors'.

Bullgors directly replaced Minotaurs (just a name update to get them more unique to GW), so every reasonable person allowed the use of Bullgors in the Bullgor Stampede batallion (the names a bit of a clue!).

With the latest FAQ change, it is now explicitly stated that if the battalion refers to a warscroll (in our case 'Minotaurs') that no longer exists, the batallion cannot be used in Matched Play.

Archived