Coven Throne Command Ability

TerrorPenguin

It's a bit meh. You'll tie the roll one in every six rolls, so I suppose with 4 rolls per game, you have a 51.8% chance of it affecting at least one of the rolls in a game (more than I would have expected - my maths may be wrong - I did 1-(5/6)^4 - let me know if you're better at statistics. I would rank it above those of all the FEC heroes; and above Arkhan's one.

It's also potentially useful combined with the Coven Thrones once per game reroll. I've gradually changed my view on whether you should be able to change the initiative rolls (partly because Fyreslayers need that option desperately) and partly because I can see how Kairos and even Kroak would be significantly overcosted without it. I'm having to leave behind my pure Fyreslayers at an event because the comp pack is hitting them all over the place.

The Coven Throne isn't a monster, so hello cover saves. If you're only using it to project the 5+ ward save, you might be able to make it almost as tough as the VLoZD.

I used the reroll with TK to reroll the Settra 2+ Desert Wind roll in case I missed it at SCGT 2016.

The Coven Throne is a way of bringing a cheaper hero to a pure Soulblight force (which isn't as expensive as the VLoZD).

I would also add that there's nothing more reliable than the VLoZD's 3+, 3+ attacks - he has disappointed me a lot. You take him for the 3+ holy grail shield, the regen chalice and command ability to buff your big block or if you're a muppet like me to buff 12 Ushabti with bows who still cannot kill a Thundertusk:

It's also worth noting the Beguile spell on the Coven Throne, which is nifty:

Put him in cover with the "predator of da night" general trait for mortal wounds on 5+ on thoses 12 ghost attack! Booh Yaah teh-ree-fick!

This was another reason why running it with Settra is such a win-win.

It's an interesting suggestion, the downside sadly is that you lose the 5+ Ward Save.

If I had one piece of advice to any aspiring Death Players, it would be to build your list around the Ward Save and frankly think of Death as Ward Save (the same way that Nurgle were always defined by that). If you're building a Death army and thinking that summoning is the defining characteristic of Death, then I would suggest playing more games. 

The main exception is a Settra based list, where the offensive power of stacking command abilities etc. more than compensates for the loss of the 5+.

As soon as I heard that my opponent in game one had chosen Red Reaper (fixed for all 6 games) instead of the Ward Save on his VLoZD, I thought I could actually win the game despite running a Bravery 4 army against a Mourngul.

Mannfred or Neferata as general are possibly viable (at the cost of the 5+ Ward) since their command abilities are great, but still need to get a lot of value out of them to make it the right move versus taking a different generic general and just stacking on an artefact too. 

18 hours ago, Nico said:

This was another reason why running it with Settra is such a win-win.

How does Settra interact with coven Throne other than giving +1 to hit bonus?

And I support strongly about Death is ward save and any other threat always handicaps the Death player as youu said with the exception of Settra.

How does Settra interact with coven Throne other than giving +1 to hit bonus?

So 12 attacks with mortal wounds on 5+ is decent. 

As mentioned the once per game reroll on Settra's Desert Wind ability is potentially a big deal.

Archived