Ironjawz against Thundertusk

Seas

Hmm maybe i cant use only ironjawz :( So i guess i must mix it with some gobbos and rock lobbers. When i use mega boss on maw krusher the 2 thundertusks will shoot at him and i only got 4+ ward safe against them without any heals.

I played a 1200pt game against beastclaw raiders last night my opponent had a thundertusk and a stone horn, I had a mix of moonclan grots  and ironjawz I was able to lock up his thundertusk with my gore gruntas for 2 turns but still ended up loosing, my other units were tied up and couldn't get over there to help out. I love my ironjawz but I think I need to mix some other units to experiment.

14 minutes ago, Dream said:

Get bottom of first turn via battalion drop, move forward, try to charge him. Go for broke with the double on turn 2.

50% of the time it works every time!

Against a mixed destruction I player I ended up charging in with gruntas turn 1 to tie up the stonehorn and gobs. I would have had time to reach objectives and possibly win, but mistakes were made. Tying up the dudes is really important in the objective games. I would also consider flooding stuff over to any annoying thundertusks. My 5 brutes basically one shot the stonehorn with the wagh! buff.

Also, when setting up terrain, try to keep the field slightly open if he isn't super gob heavy. Try to avoid the gobs if possible. Bellowing tyrant seems good against the nets.

This seems very very tricky with pure Ironjawz. I've yet to play the match up myself but can see it wouldn't be at all easy.

You can't sit off it else you will take catastrophic damage from the mortal wound shooting, so jokes aside, I suspect going for broke as @Dream says is the "best" bet. I suspect it doesn't end well either way though :S 

Hopefully I'll get to play against @The Lost Lighthouse (Gary)'s soon as he's written up a standard optimised list so it'll be good (and quick) practice.

I will be playing in a 1200 point with 1k restriction tournament next month and I know for sure 2 people will bring beastclaw raiders both will have a stonehorn and thundertusk another player will bring his Chaos and has a bloodthirster and skarbrand. I'm thinking about taking 

warboss

2 x warchanters

3 units of ardboyz

2x brutes or one unit of 10 

comes in right at 1200 I'm not looking to win much but hopefully they can hold objectives long enough before they die!

This seems very very tricky with pure Ironjawz. I've yet to play the match up myself but can see it wouldn't be at all easy.

You can't sit off it else you will take catastrophic damage from the mortal wound shooting, so jokes aside, I suspect going for broke as @Dream says is the "best" bet. I suspect it doesn't end well either way though :S 

Hopefully I'll get to play against @The Lost Lighthouse (Gary)'s soon as he's written up a standard optimised list so it'll be good (and quick) practice.

Agree with all of this. I dare say it's the worst possible match up for Ironjawz (if they have Beastclaw plus Fanatics plus Kunning Rukk plus optionally Spiderfang) - other than maybe Kroak on a Balewind behind Temple Guard and Bastiladon spam on Take and Hold.

You will have to play your socks off and hope to get a double turn at the right time. Hope for a favourable Battleplan.

Thundertusks taking out 2 Brutes per shot and 3 Ardboyz per shot of the unit you haven't used Inspiring Presence on is just horrific. They have a 34 inch maximum effective range....

Bestclaw have lots of wounds. You need the brutes. But you also need a warboss for the +1/+2 attack waaaagh buff. 

I was running this list for 1000 pts today

1 x warboss

1x wierdnob shaman

2x5 brutes

1x3 gruntas

1xaleguzzler gargant.

If i had to go to 1200 id add in 2 warchanters to buff the gruntas and gargants hit rolls or a 10man unit of ardboyz

The problem with Beastclaw is their range. It doesn't matter if you get a double turn, if they can charge you first turn. Which, with destruction move, they can. Escpecially the Stonehorn, since even if it runs, if it's in charge range it *has* to charge (warscroll rules).  

Thundertusk's effective range if it's mortal wound snowball is 27-32", depending on Rampaging Destroyers roll.  If you don't want to be shot, that means you're setting up 4" from the board edge.  With Ravagers+Ironfist+Rampaging destroyers, your Gore Gruntas effective threat range is 14"-35." (If you're taking Gorefist or Gordrakk, go for it. Good luck and let me know how it goes!). Other Battleline is 9"-30." I'll let you figure out the implications of all that.

If it's just one thundertusk... try and get him to shoot/charge your Ardboyz. They have the most wounds per unit to spare. Then, once he's charged the anvil, move up with your brutes and hammer it as flat as possible. Go unit of 10 with jagged gore-hackas as overkill. If it's more than one Beastclaw monster.. well you're basically screwed. You'll have to focus your fire on one of his 5-6 units, and the ones you don't focus down are going to kill you their first turn. Just deploy, shake your opponent's hand with as much disdain and discouragement as possible, and then make them buy you a beer.

Archived