Grave Guard?

Dracothjay

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before GHB I used to play mainly Grave Guard lists with Vlad as general to give them +1 to wound and VHD for extra pile in and they would chew thru whatever was infront of them.

I sold all my deathrattle stuff a while back now so don't know how they fare under GHB games but they seem to be costed about right,similar to other elite infantry albeit with a nifty double damage ability,better bravery and regen.

8 minutes ago, Dracothjay said:

What made you sell your deathrattle?

2 reasons mainly with the 1st being I wanted the space so I could start some proper AoS armies.I had a pretty vast VC/TK Legion of Death which took up a lot of shelf space.And 2nd I just don't rate skeletons or zombies and having spent years paying core tax on them in WFB there was no way I was going the same route in AoS.

I run my Grave Guard with Settra, normally in a block of 10-15. They're a bit of a glass hammer and will often be killed mercilessly if you give your opponent the chance, but they can output a fair bit of damage. With Settra they can get 2+/2+ with double damage on a 5+ to wound and 2 attacks each. They chop up damn near anything with those stats. :)

41 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

I run my Grave Guard with Settra, normally in a block of 10-15. They're a bit of a glass hammer and will often be killed mercilessly if you give your opponent the chance, but they can output a fair bit of damage. With Settra they can get 2+/2+ with double damage on a 5+ to wound and 2 attacks each. They chop up damn near anything with those stats. :)

Anything without a save i think:)

I am currently running 10 in my deathrattle list, and from what little I have seen they do some pretty good work. I think the price is right for what you get. Without buffs they seem fine, with buffs they get pretty blendy. They put out 20+ wounds for me in one round last game and annihilated a unit of Gore-gruntas (With buffs mind you). I am however running the legion of death so it gives me some added incentives to invest points in them so take my opinion with a grain of salt... 

Not to hijack the thread but does anyone have any thoughts on shields vs great wight blades? I was thinking shields to help get them into combat and give them extra staying power (sometimes). Is the drop in stats worth the shield though?

34 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Both blades get Rend, the Wight Blade just Wounds on 4s where the GWB Wounds on 3s. :)

Yes, I'm talking about the shield option, that gives the Grave Guard an improved save vs attacks that have no rend. Maybe it wasn't so obvious ^^

Yap, go with GWB, they regen after all. So long they are not annihilated, they will reach your opponent. I run a unit of 20 in 1k. So its pretty much me buffing this unit and sent them forth and my opponent FF on this unit before them reaching. 

When all buff goes well with them, 3 attack, 2+ to hit, pile in and attack twice, mystic shield. And if I get to charge the unit almost guaranteed victorious against most model. 

4 hours ago, MidasKiss said:

I've been reading up on death, to see if they would be interesting for a slow grow in the new year. Could I ask what buffs people are generally running on the Grave Guard and that type of infantry? 

On skeletons I would generally take the wight king for +1 attack and the necromancer to pile in and attack twice. Vampire lord will also give +1 attack and when you get to bigger points the vlozd will allow them to re roll their failed hits.

Vampire lord and wight king are command abilities so you can only do one unfortunately, I think the liche priest has an ability to cast a spell to add an attack as well

2 hours ago, TerrorPenguin said:

I think the liche priest has an ability to cast a spell to add an attack as well

Liche Priest lets your attacks explode on 6s. Not as good as a straight-up +1 Attack, but it's a spell, so you can stack it on top of a +1 Attack buff. You can also explode on 5s, 4s, etc if you get any +1s to Hit rolls. :)

8 hours ago, Hans said:

When all buff goes well with them, 3 attack, 2+ to hit, pile in and attack twice, mystic shield. And if I get to charge the unit almost guaranteed victorious against most model. 

How do you get the +1 to Hit in that setup?

7 hours ago, MidasKiss said:

I've been reading up on death, to see if they would be interesting for a slow grow in the new year. Could I ask what buffs people are generally running on the Grave Guard and that type of infantry? 

Being primarily a Tomb Kings player, I run them with Settra and/or a Royal Warsphinx to get that sweet sweet double damage procc on wound rolls of 4. The Liche Priest has a spell that works fantastically together with bonuses to hit rolls (Settra & Tomb King), allowing them to get extra attacks. Wight King, Vampire Lord, VLoZD and the Necromancer also have excellent buffs for Grave Guard.

9 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

That's pretty nasty as a combo. Having them do double damage on 5s is nasty enough when I've done it, haha.

Works with Necropolis Knights as well, making them spit out mortal wounds on 4s. And the Royal Warsphinx has infinite reach on his command ability too, so he can be on the other side of the field and help units as needed. The only requirement is that everyone is within 18" of Settra.

Archived