Let's chat: Carmine Dragon

Requizen

So I was looking at what FW goodies I could use with my Stormcast (since I apparently hate my bank account) and came across the Carmine Dragon. Now, at 480 points, he's a hefty part of the army, but 14 wounds with 3+ and a 5+ MW save and the (admittedly rare) ability to regain wounds, it seems tough enough and killy enough to be worth the points. 

Has anyone used one or gone against one? Do you think it's worth putting on the table? It compares in some way to a Mourngul, though not as blatantly powerful, in my book.

I have one in my Freeguild army and I love it. It allows me to compete with the Nagashs / Mawcrushers / Greater Daemons of the world.

I keep a Wizard with Lifeform close by to keep it healed up to deal max damage. The breath weapon is lovely, and it can dish out some serious attacks... PLUS it's a great model.

One thing I've noticed from my battles is that it's saved my butt a few times with it's ability to dispel. I like to keep my wizard back with the Hurricanum behind my Guard lines, which keeps my wizard away from dispelling. 

I have no experience with the Dread Saurian so I can't comment on the pros vs. cons.

8 hours ago, Undead4Life said:

Another option to consider is the Dread Saurian. It's a little cheaper and has a little less damage output but it heals more readily than the Dragon and doesn't have the Monster keyword, so it ignores dedicated anti-behemoth abilities.

That's true but I'm not sure I could tell an opponent that with a straight face. :)

Interesting to hear! I'm kind of up between it and a Stardrake, and I think the Carmine model is way better. But, I think it might be worth holding off until we see if there is ever an Allegiance for Stormcast.

I hadn't really looked at the Dread Saurian. That just looks... rude haha. Such a massive model though.

Archived