Ethreal paint Scheme

KHHaunts

So ive started an undead army that i would like to have a ghostly legion theme to it.

As a result my army has a mix of Nighthaunt (Obviously) and deathrattle with a few deathlords.

The Deathlords, "Summoners"(Necromancer) and things that already have ghostly effects (Like morghasts and mortis engine) will be painted more or less as normal.

However what i want is to paint all the troops with a ghostly effect.

I am well aware of the Nikalh oxide technique and have tried it out on a unit of old skeles and it looks great.

However the problem is i want to make use if a ghostly effect but i dont want it to be dull and samey. The other problem i have is that everything would become very hard to distinguish if its all the same milky green color.

Therefore i want to aid other elements to each different unit to make the disinguishable but without taking to much from the ghost effect. The best example i can think of is the way the Hexwraiths are painted in the Grand alliance book/ App.

id like to know any techniques so that i can get some color into the army without ruining the effect (For example i would quite like to give some graveguard similar color clothing to Arkhans armor.)

Here are some units ive done so far.:

20160911_120303.jpg

20160901_232152.jpg

20160911_120149.jpg

20160911_120232.jpg

Its not so much the variation for the bones its more the details.

Ive seen people go for the FULL ghost effect. as in every inch of the unit is the same ghost color. It looks good for a unit or two but as a army its rather bland.

Its more ways of making clothing or metal look magical. For instance paining a unit of graveguard in a ghostly color and then painting the armor gold and the cloth blue would clash loads in my minds eye. What i want is to paint them that color but perhaps subdue the gold a little. and maybe give the cloth a glowing effect.

Regarding the details, it's not even necessarily going that far, but having a good understanding of making the details (skulls, weapons) stand out and provide a visual draw is your key.

Beyond that I think the challenge with ethereal schemes is making something more unique than the classic green/blue. There are some great spirit hosts on this forum using pink tones.

Perhaps try a few experiments using glazes.

Subscribed! As I, too, am creating another Death army for my club's Tale of X Warlords and would like to see/learn other techniques.

Here is my first month's challenge, a Start Collecting box set of Malignants.

Much like the op, I wanted varying ethereal effects too. For me, a wraith is not the same as a spirit etc.

Apologies for bases not yet done in pics. They are, as of yesterday, now completed.

- Cedric

20161101_175024.thumb.jpg.77646210543b15

20161101_214014.thumb.jpg.c7f09b6d79718520161101_175053.thumb.jpg.c1039701a6fa5c

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

If it was me I'd paint all the bone areas in a bone colour which can be done fairly quickly if you're after speed. The ghostly areas can be done using the oxide technique, if it was me I'd prefer them to look more blue. I'd then pick out the armour, clothing and weapons on the units as this will be the area where you can add variety and make your army look unique. 

One other option - whilst testing my own ethereal scheme, I tried some test minis in case I wanted to do skellies etc in that style. On the mini below I tried out the idea of having the metals stand out by painting them a cold bronze before the nihilakh stage which I then did for the whole mini including the metals etc...

I quite liked it. What do you reckon?
769b8a8aa2953cdafaf9f6f513a19529.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

One other option - whilst testing my own ethereal scheme, I tried some test minis in case I wanted to do skellies etc in that style. On the mini below I tried out the idea of having the metals stand out by painting them a cold bronze before the nihilakh stage which I then did for the whole mini including the metals etc...

I quite liked it. What do you reckon?
769b8a8aa2953cdafaf9f6f513a19529.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Looks good!

Iirc, that was the main use for Nihilkh Oxide... to put over ovet metallics to create an old rusting-bronze look.

- Cedric

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Archived