Being nitpicky about "within"

Requizen

Question

So this has come up a couple times in our group. I play Skyborne Slayers, which states that when you do their deployment, you "pick a point... set up all of the units within 12" of that point and more than 5" from any enemy models".

Since the wording for placement specifies "units" and not "models", does a unit only need to be partially within 12" of the landing point to be successfully deployed or do all models from the unit need to be within 12" of the point? 

At my FLGS we agreed that a unit can extend past the 12" as long as they were partially inside, since the wording is consistent with abilities. For example, Mystic Shield says "pick the caster, or a friendly unit within 18" of the caster" as the target of Mystic Shield, and does not require the entirety of the unit to be in range, only one model. 

I prefer this interpretation (obviously), but I understand if people interpret it the other way. What have you been ruling it as?

7 answers to this question

Since the wording for placement specifies "units" and not "models", does a unit only need to be partially within 12" of the landing point to be successfully deployed or do all models from the unit need to be within 12" of the point? 

This is exactly right. You just need one model to be within if it is talking about units being within (which is also the default - it is rare for a rule to specify "models within" or unit "wholly within" - very rare).

Sothing similar came up in my last game. It was Escalation from the GHB. It says when units move onto the field they must be within 3" of the board edge. Does this mean I can place one zombie so the very edge of his base is within 3" and then conga them up the field? In that instance I decided that RAI was that they had to be totally within 3" of the edge because common sense.

It's absolutely clear, because Escalation specifies "all models" must be "within", so you cannot conga. That said, the back edge of your base can be 3 inches from the edge, so some large base models can get a small head start.

Other key examples are all summoning spells which are "units within" and Fanatics - again units within (the reference to "Grot Fanatics" is a reference to the unit, not to each model - see the Hammerstrike Force, which refers to "the unit", "the Retributors" and "them" interchangeably) - so conga away.

I agree with your reading of the rules, though I think RAI differs. Seems like something that needs to be FAQ'd.

Sothing similar came up in my last game. It was Escalation from the GHB. It says when units move onto the field they must be within 3" of the board edge. Does this mean I can place one zombie so the very edge of his base is within 3" and then conga them up the field? In that instance I decided that RAI was that they had to be totally within 3" of the edge because common sense.

I would agree with Nico and i dont know anyone who plays it otherwise.

if your measuring to a model you measure to its closest side you dont extend to the back of the model. same applies for a unit.

When you measure charge only 1 model need be within 12" AKA the closest model.

Also it does state consistantly when it isent from the model. Such as shooting which is model and not unit (So you cant shoot with the whole unit if only the front row is in range.)

Within is described as the 2 closest points between the models. As Skybourne Slayers says the 'units' and not 'models' you can just put 1 guys base touching the maximum range and the put the others in a line across the board if you like.

Same thing with summoning which catches a lot of people out.

On 3-11-2016 at 3:45 PM, Undead4Life said:

I agree with your reading of the rules, though I think RAI differs. Seems like something that needs to be FAQ'd.

True..but large bases wouldn't even fit in 3". I have the same thing with Sylvaneth. Placing woods and dryad defense ability. If you interpret the res like you say I d conga all my unit to th e back.. so no unit would be "within" any shooting range since back models would be out of range.

Archived