What are the best Heros to run with Archaon?

Noahfoa

I'm trying to build a pretty killer Archaon list, and want to make the most of him. New to Age of Sigmar and don't really know what models do what. Any help finding some good Heros to use with him and units to fill the ranks is much appreciated!

I'm looking for as much Cheese as possible. I want a list that I know can win, then I will branch out to more fun and fluffy ones from there :D

On mobile, sorry for any formatting issues.

Also if anyone is interested in explains Nagash and any lists he's good any. I'd love that too! :D

This could be a cool list. I havnt play but it but looks good on paper. The two heros probably have the best command abillities to combo with archaon.

Leaders
Archaon (700)
Lord Of Slaanesh On Daemonic Mount (140)
Lord Of Khorne On Juggernaut (140)

Units
Varanguard x 6 (720)
Blood Warriors x 5 (100)
Blood Warriors x 5 (100)
Blood Warriors x 5 (100)

I just fear that list isn't remotely competitive. 

Archaon will struggle to kill a unit of Kurnoth Hunters that have the cheek to hide in a wood and troll him with their 3+ rerollable save.

The Blood Warriors will just get shot off the table and you will not have enough bodies to score. 

The Varanguard are woefully expensive.

44 minutes ago, Nico said:

I just fear that list isn't remotely competitive. 

No it is not a list you will win tournaments with. ?

But it's cool and you will win games where the opponent can not deal with archaon and the varanguard or you get a double turn at the right time, ie you will win some and lose some.

But Nico to help him with his question do you think there is any list with Archaon where you really can compete for a tournament win? Do you think there are any better heroes to get something more out of Archaon?

Sadly no. Mine is still in the box. I have one list which could use him or the smaller version of Archaon - but I find the smaller one is just better.

The Mortal Chaos Command Abilities are all weak (except the Slaanesh one) which is the main problem. Perhaps you could run him with 3 Doombulls....

I have yet to see an Archaon list which can compete with best that other factions or even other chaos lists can bring.  If you just love the Archaon model and want to use him then you will have to be happy being a bit less competitive then if you dropped him altogether. 

Are you looking to build a cheese list around Archaon for any particular reason or would you take something else if it means a better chance of winning?

I have played 2 events with him now and the latest (clash of swords) which under the comp was a real struggle and have managed to get some solid results. I plan to start my blog (should have already but been super busy) and track make progress, so will have lots of thoughts and findings in that, but for now a few comments from my findings are below:

Archaon lists can be competitive, its just not as easy and you need to get it right. (when you dont it can fall quick as all my lists dont have huge numbers)

Varanguard are very good. again very expensive, but with the right tools they do work and easily worth their value (when in a list with Archaon).

My favourite characters for Archaon atm are easily the Sorcerer Lord and the Khorne Lord on Jugger. I have used quite a few others now and have some more to try, but especially the Sorcerer will be put in any list.

Look at the khorne characters to help make Archaon / units in your army more killy.

Archaon lists can be competitive, its just not as easy and you need to get it right. (when you dont it can fall quick as all my lists dont have huge numbers)

He just strikes me as highly Rock Paper Scissors. If you come up against a low rend high model count army that's susceptible to Battleshock and just cannot deal with him (the archetype would be Clan Pestilens), then you'll do really well. However, if they plonk down two Warp Lightning Cannons (or any serious pew pew) or summon a Lord of Change into range, or shoot you to bits with Dracoth Knights pew pew - then the Varanguard are going to start dropping like flies.

I ran Archaon at the Facehammer GT. The list i used was:

Archaon
Belakor
Bloodsecrator
Mighty Lord of Khorne

3 x 10 x Blood Reavers with Meatripper Axes
6 x Mighty Skullcrushers

Hellcannon

I had a hell of a lot of fun with it but it was quite clearly NOT optimised for Archaon. I have since decided to drop Archaon as, whilst he was fun - it's just not possible for him to make 700pts back every game. So i've replaced him with Skarbrand (who kills big things easier), 5x Wrathmongers (to help buff everyone with even more attacks) and 2 Skaven Plague wind Mortar's (so i'm not so reliant on the hellcannon - although these will soon be replaced by a second Bloddsecrator if a comp pack allows stacking). I've also dropped the mighty lord of khorne for a lord on juggernaught.

If i was intent on making Archaon work, i would go for a Lord on a juggernaught for the increase in chance to "double 6" something off, a Bloodsecrator for additional attacks which of course increase the chance of the double 6. The Slaaneshi lord allows him to pile in twice but i'm not sure that's an efficient use of points. I'd also stick with just 3 x 10 Bloodreavers as core battleline as you need the points elsewhere. Something like this

Leaders
Archaon (700)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (140)
- Normal
Lord Of Khorne On Juggernaut (140)
Bloodsecrator (120)

Units
Bloodreavers x 20 (120)
- Meatripper Axes
Bloodreavers x 10 (60)
- Meatripper Axes
Bloodreavers x 10 (60)
- Meatripper Axes
Wrathmongers x 10 (360)

Behemoths

War Machines
Hellcannon (300)

Batallions

Total: 2000/2000

Loads of buffs to archaon so he should be making 6 attacks with the slayer of kings, re-rolling 1's to hit and wound and removing anything on a double 5 or better. Hellcannon shoot's anything that might be nasty to him. You've got the win in "three places of power" but will struggle like hell in escalation and should have enough to challenge in the others

Archived