Bonesplitterz at 2000 points: Destruction allegiance or Bonesplitterz allegiance?

Dalk

Question:

Which allegiance would be best for a core bonesplitterz army at 2000 points?

(Quick disclaimer: This is for a competitive army based on bonesplitterz. I know a kunnin rukk-based army with 70 or 80 arrow boys is not much fun to play against in a casual setting, so this is mostly theory-crafting for tournaments or for going up against equally competitive lists. Casually, I play bonesplitterz with lots of melee units proxied by the arrow boys, but I like to have the option to go more competitive)

I have about 1500 points worth of bonesplitterz, and am wondering how to best expand the army to 2000 points. There seem to be 2 main ways: stay within the bonesplitterz allegiance, or go destruction allegiance. The advantages and disadvantages to both are:

Advantage Bonesplitterz allegiance:

-Warpaint: a 6 save roll always passes, even on mortal wounds. Major draw to this allegiance, you can ignore rend and have an extra chance vs mortal wounds. Not very useful versus normal non-rend attacks though.

-Monster Hunter: random small bonusses when attacking monsters. Not great for a kunnin rukk, as it only works in the combat phase and within 3 inches.

-Lore of the savage Waagh!: Standouts are Hand of Gork/Mork (gives double movement speed, casting value 6), and Brutal beast spirit (+1 to hit, run and charge, CV 6)

Disadvantage Bonesplitterz allegiance:

-Command traits seem rather mediocre.  Squirmy warpaint lets you ignore mortal wounds on 4+, Prophet of the Waagh lets you reroll one battleshock test.

-Artifacts seem mediocre too. Dokk juice lets you heal D3 wounds (bonesplitterz have low saves/max wounds though) and big wurrgog mask can deal a repeatable D3 damage but your wizard dies a third of the time.

-Limited unit options. Cavalry (boar boys) are decent, but not fantastic. Morboys and big stabbas are anti-monster, but hugely outclassed by arrowboys in this role.

Advantage Destruction allegiance:

-Rampaging destroyers and Bellowing tyrant: Free D6 to move on almost all units and +1 to hit for one unit. Similar in function to the bonesplitterz spells, but more reliable (cannot fail or be dispelled).

-Lots of options which bonesplitterz lack. Including, but not limited to behemoths (stonehorns, thundertusk, arachnarok, warboss on wyvern, dread maw), artillery (gitmob grots), moonclan shenanigans (fanatics, grot shamans). Big units are great as cover for your squishy big bosses.

-Battle brew (artifact which gives +1 to hit/wound or even +2 if suicidal for any behemoths you take along.

Disadvantage Destruction allegiance:

-Wurgogg prophet and wardokk become much worse without the bonesplitterz spells. Weirdnob shaman still has a great spell though.

-No warpaint/monster hunter bonuses. Since these are essentially free in a pure bonesplitterz list, this is a major drawback.

Conclusion:

Even when listing the advantages and disadvantages, I can not see a clear best allegiance here. 

What do you think or did I miss something?

Thanks for reading!

Would it be worth it to take a different general though than the savage big boss though? That is a lot of responsibility for a 6 wound, 6+ save model :). I' m thinking of the Orc warboss with a banner, the Orc warboss on wyvern or Skarsnik (all with a sizeable line unit of course).

Would it be worth it to take a different general though than the savage big boss though? That is a lot of responsibility for a 6 wound, 6+ save model :). I' m thinking of the Orc warboss with a banner, the Orc warboss on wyvern or Skarsnik (all with a sizeable line unit of course).

I played him last night and performed great. Bellowing Tyrant (command trait) + waaagh! (Command abbility)+ banner. I gave him Talisman of protection to save him from anything, as everything will aim at him, as he gives most of boosts.
If you can just put him on a boar it can move 9" so can support different units or run away to different objective.
I was supporting brutal rukk (10 savages + 10 boarboyz), which is lame. Only boars wound(good old rule). The amount of hits always pays back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, meet.the.doctor said:

I played him last night and performed great. Bellowing Tyrant (command trait) + waaagh! (Command abbility)+ banner. I gave him Talisman of protection to save him from anything, as everything will aim at him, as he gives most of boosts.
If you can just put him on a boar it can move 9" so can support different units or run away to different objective.
I was supporting brutal rukk (10 savages + 10 boarboyz), which is lame. Only boars wound(good old rule). The amount of hits always pays back.

He seems like a great addition to any Orruk-based army really.

The wound reroll on 1 and +1 melee attacks on a boss with 9inch movement for 140 points is really useful. Makes me want to try him with Savage morboys, as they have 2 different melee attacks.

My impression is that Destruction is more dependable/better in almost every regard (other than losing the bonus spells).  Especially if you're not married to 100% Boneplitterz and can pull your Battleline from somewhere else.

That said, I'm always going to go Bonsplitterz every time because that's how I want to play.  I like the spells and artefacts, and I want my sub-optimal Boarboys to be Battleline.

2 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

My impression is that Destruction is more dependable/better in almost every regard (other than losing the bonus spells).  Especially if you're not married to 100% Boneplitterz and can pull your Battleline from somewhere else.

Savage orruks might be one of the best battleline units for the destruction allegiance though, with their 20 wounds for 100 points and 7 bravery when in melee. Moonclan grots can inflict more damage, but they need support. No experience with normal grots/ogors.

Staying in theme is another great reason to go pure bonesplitterz though.

Archived