phoenix with stormcast?

chord

Why not? There was a great looking phoenix accompanying a Stormcast army in an issue of visions a while ago and it's basically a bigger version of the Knight Venator's bird.

I've got no experience of phoenixes (pheoni?) but if you're a competitive sort and have a spare hero slot it's always worth sticking the rider ontop for a 4+ ward at no extra points, effectively doubling the thing's wounds. You could probably convert him to fit in along the Stormcast pretty easily too. Prosecutor/Knight Venator helm?

I've got no idea what the status of the fire phoenix's coming back to life is re: summoning in matched play but I suspect you've gotta put points aside if you want to chance it coming back to life. The frostie probably suits stormcast a little better than the flamespyre as it'll help keep an army with a relatively low model count alive longer with it's blizzard aura, and how easily Stormcast can dish out mortal wounds makes the flamespyre feel a little redundant.

I don't think you need points for it's regeneration. I've found the Phoenix to be a great unit. FYI, You wouldn't be able to unlock its full potential in a stormcast army due to the lack of casting for its "attuned to magic" ability

Cast, cast, cast around it to get the +'s to save, throw shield of thorns on it, and then fly it into combat against whatever, the more enemies the better. Watch opponent rage as every wound they do to you results in a self-inflicted mortal wound to them. Meanwhile, you save everything.

PS I've only done this once and my opponent became very grumpy, so may want to save it for the more competitive games

4 hours ago, rokapoke said:

Are you talking about Mystic Shield? That's fine for narrative or open play, but for matched play the rule of 1s restricts you to one attempted casting of each spell.

No I'm talking about the pheonix's special ability "attuned to magic"

44 minutes ago, chord said:

Casting mystic shield on the phoenix would be double bonus 

Yep! If you have annointed on top and are able to cast shield of thorns, you reroll nl saves and then have your ward save on top; it is very hard to kill. For that reason, frostheart, with its better attack profile and its -1 to wound, may be better because the respawn will probably not come into play

Archived