How to glue start collecting Skaven ?

MikeGreen

Hi,

So I'm going to buy my first skaven minis (after Island of Blood).  Start collecting pestilens. How would you rate their power/playability in actual gameplay  in comparison to other start collecting boxes? Which start collecting is the best and which is the worst ?

How do I want to glue my start collecting set to be the most playable ? Which weapons to attach and what options to choose ?

Which additional bases (sizes) do I need ?I read that people make Grey Seer, Giant rats/Rat swarms from leftovers.

Is it so great idea to buy two copies of the same start collecting box or is it just marketing ?

I can't speak to the power of Pestilens because I haven't played them yet. I think Pestilens pairs really well with Nurgle because of their theme (Pestilens = Disease, Skyre= Explosive, Eshin = Sneaky, Moulder = Tzeentchy?). 

I think Skaven as a whole can be pretty powerful on the table especially in objective grabbing scenarios because your'e going to have a lot of units.

But as far as how to build them, what weapons/options etc... , go with the rule of cool. If it looks cool to you, do it. It's your hobby, your models, your control. All else is secondary. 

12 minutes ago, ReverendDangles said:

If it looks cool to you, do it. It's your hobby, your models, your control. All else is secondary. 

Maybe it works for you :)

I'm a maximizer and want to have the best possibility from I what have.  

Here it would be even more important because I read that pestilens are ******... 

Plague monks are barely more expensive points wise than clanrats so they can't be too bad; the down side is that they're not battleline unless your playing pestilens only.  Both the PC catapult and WL cannon options are apparently good, I have seen multiple general chaos tournament lists include WL cannons (which would suggest they are one of the premier chaos war machines).  

Not sure about how the furnace/screaming bell play.  Whichever way you go, you will have a leftover hero on foot (either a Plague Priest or a Grey Seer (though the latter requires a bit more conversion/basing work). I base "small" infantry heroes (skaven/goblin/elf/skink/non-chaos human) on 32mm rounds usually, while the rank and file go on 25mm. 

A second start collecting is certainly not a bad thing for the collection given the alternative builds, though I'm not sure if many skaven lists would find room for a plague furnace AND a screaming bell (or two of either).  Two artillery pieces would certainly work though and 20 plague monks likely make a much better unit than 10.

I recently bought the same boxed set.

The Warp Lightning Cannon seems to be the best option. Mortal wounds are very scary.

I chose go for the Furnace because the Bell seemed a bit too random. Also, the Furnace works well with other Skaven and Nurgle units. Again it will deal mortal wounds to your enemies for just being next to the Furnace.

I'm still painting them. However I painted some clanrats and based them. They look pretty cool.

PVA glue. Then add some sand. Leaving patches where no PVA was on the base, so I could add some effects.
Paint the base some kind of brown to coat the sand you just put on.
Paint the patches a dark green. These will be swampy pools of Nurgle slime filth.
I dry brushed the sand using lighter colours to give it texture.
Then I added the 'Nurgles rot' technical paint on the patches to create the swamp effect. Doing a few thing layers to make it look better.
Added some "Agrellan Earth' technical paint in some areas create a more interesting base.
PVA in small amounts then added a little bit of grass. Don't do too much of this. This was to show that something USED to grow there.

This is a good guide. This is basically what I did.

If you are interested in a pure pestilens army, look at the dedicated post in this forum, is really interesting for tactics and must have units. In a pure pestilens army another starter set is quite mandatory, you will use everything, the second plague furnace too, and the price is really interesting.

If you are going to a mixes skaven army, probably you should look for something else in your shopping.

I love pestilens, their strongness is in large number of monks and in battalions: in a mixed army I wouldn't put them, too many points and there are more effective units

Archived