Fulminators vs Concussors

Olincay

Remembering when these first dropped the concussors seemed like the better option on paper, after reading/watching battle reports and viewing the general discussion on here fulminators seem to be the more popular pick. 

I'm currently taking the plunge into the vexillor + concussor/fulminator combo and just want peoples opinions on which unit is better. 

Fulminator saves against ranged are excellent. 

They are also mean on the charge with a possible 9 wounds  from the glaive v The concussors 6.

Their ranged attack is better when close up in combat too. 

So for that charge turn they are king. 

The concussors are good even when they don't charge. Again they're a potential 6 w v the Fulminators 3 w

Their ranged attack is 12 inch - 6 inches more than Fulminators. 

One thing that doesn't get a lot of attention but which I like is the mortal wounds on 6 from the concussors. 

It's a little extra treat in most cases. The real damage is that a unit taking those mortal wounds can't pile in for the rest of that combat phase. 

Personally I'm thinking of blending them 2 and 2 in my next list. 

If they had the same point cost, I'd say the Concussors are way better. But as it stands, both are viable. I think that the Fulminators really shine against a shooting army. I played against them recently with my Ironjawz army and thought to myself "I'd be in trouble if those were Concussors instead of Fulminators". It depends on your meta I guess. But in a general case, mixing both is a good idea.

1 hour ago, Turragor said:

Fulminator saves against ranged are excellent. 

They are also mean on the charge with a possible 9 wounds  from the glaive v The concussors 6.

Their ranged attack is better when close up in combat too. 

So for that charge turn they are king. 

The concussors are good even when they don't charge. Again they're a potential 6 w v the Fulminators 3 w

Their ranged attack is 12 inch - 6 inches more than Fulminators. 

One thing that doesn't get a lot of attention but which I like is the mortal wounds on 6 from the concussors. 

It's a little extra treat in most cases. The real damage is that a unit taking those mortal wounds can't pile in for the rest of that combat phase. 

Concussors can always do 9 wounds to every combat round. 6 from their hammers and then the mortal wound is in addition if you roll a 6 to hit.

It's the fact the enemy can't pile in if you get a 6 to hit that's so cool for the concussors! 

Fulminators no where near as good in a protracted combat. 

I've found whilst fulminators can get bogged down in a protracted combat. The double mortal wound damage from the breath attack when they are within 3" more than makes up for it. 

You can also mitigate them getting bogged down by taking a heraldor which I take in my lists a lot.

I've always found It's easy to keep the heraldor in range with its 10" range 5" move and run. 

As for concussors ive never taken them myself as they feel pricey.

To be honest I think any of the dracoths can work, you just have to except that you are going to be builiding your list around them. If I'm throwing them in as extras in lists I've always found they under perform massively.

Fulminator (and Tempestor)'s breath weapon is extremely powerful in melee range. It can do average 5 MW for a unit of them.

A lot of people tend to focus on their charge power and let them strike elite troop of the enemy. I say more than once the Fulminators changed some high value target, dealt some damage and died next turn without even using their breath weapon for once in the game. That is indeed a waste of reasource.

Their ranged weapon is even more powerful against high save target compare with their weapon. Try to keep them alive in most case is a better strategy.

Cheers for all the feed back!

I currently run two Concussors with no Vexillor, I tend to team them up with a LCOD envisioning them moving up, hurting a load of people with their breath weapon then swooping in and smashing face with some hammers. When they get into combat that part usually works out, when it comes to the shooting a 3 x 4+ just seems to be a mystical magical number I can never roll.

The Fulminators D3 breath attacks alone could be devastating, plus the extra damage on the charge is just the icing on the cake. My concern, is once I've teleported them, charged, hopefully done a load of pain, that they'll get bogged down into slow grindfest.

I suppose i'll just have to buy afew boxes of each and try it out for myself. :D

Don't - they need to be run in 4s, unless they are Tempestors for -1 to hit spam. They just don't do enough damage per activation to work out. I'd take another LCoD instead of 2 Fulminators (20 points cheaper and can score in 3 Places of Power) as they probably will not put 7 wounds on him before he attacks and his shield is way better! Also his hammer is 2 extra mortal wounds on a 6 on top of the normal damage.

The Fulminators are only good vs pew pew (I took the Lightning Echelon to Honour & Glory and got kerbstomped in 2 games - there was negligible shooting in all 3 games). Brilliant as a sideboard pick. The only other time you get value is if you are able to charge the enemy as the first turn of a double turn and get to do the point blank range shooting - however that's rare.

Concussors are a better choice - again run as 4s, otherwise just take a couple of LCoDs.

Archived