Struggling with Bloodbound (in a fun way)

Captbeefheart

Admittedly I am not a super serious player but I enjoy this hobby to its fullest.  I am a big painter but want to step up my win record.  My question is simple(ish) what am I doing wrong to win?  I have been playing Khorne Bloodbound after splitting a starter box with a friend, I know the rules well, but am always coming up short in my games.  I was hoping the community had some insights into lists or tactics that worked well with Bloodbound.  First, here's the last list I ran for a multi player game with myself and two others.  It is fairly representative of similar lists I run:

Bloodsecrator (love those buffs)

Bloodstoker (cheap and ditto)

10 blood warriors (battle line)

10 bloodletters ( new to me,  but seem better than others, mortal wounds on 6's)

5 wrathmongers

5 Skullreapers

1 skull cannon ( 1st tie running it and it was hit and miss but wanted some range)

-––

beyond 1000pts  I typically add

Slaughterpriest

skullcrushers

bloodreavers 20

khorgorath (not too excited about)

-----------

my meta and friends are somewhat competitive but not too serious so my question is more about how would you play this?  Or what would you add differently in its design.  

Heres the final note:   Tactically I tend to play pretty fluffy which means I rush when playing Khorne (although I suspect t I am not alone here).  I also suspect this may not be ideal to lasting long in certain scenarios.  That said I have loads of fun (even when losing).  Love this game, feel the rules are much more manageable.  Are there any mainly bloodhound players out there with advice.  

Sidenote: I recently got the Gorechosen box set, so along with the last white dwarf I have 7+ heroes at my disposal.  What herpes have been dominating the field?   Thanks in advance!

I tend to play pretty fluffy too so I usually rush my dudes in. But a key thing to try to remember is: play to the scenario. I don't know what you normally play but I've noticed that I typically do a lot better (win or lose) if I keep the scenario objectives in mind when I'm planning stuff out. 

That said, I think you have to play a tighter game as a Bloodbound player as opposed to some other armies (e.g. Stormcast).  It doesn't take much to knock the legs out from under my horde (at least for me).  Try and protect your linchpins like the Bloodsecrator because he is a big buffer and everyone you play knows it. 

It's hard for me to give a ton of advice because I haven't done nearly as much competetive play as I want to so take it with a grain of salt.

For 1000 point games you may want to think about replacing some elite infantry (Skullreapers, Wrathmongers, ...) with some more Blood Warriors and/or Bloodreavers. I've found the Blood Warriors are pretty versatile and can be your tarpit/offense/defense. The bloodreavers can be ridiculous if you play them right but I haven't been able to do that successfully yet. 

I'm going to my first tournament this weekend so I'll update this post with anything I learn. You can see my Bloodbound list on here and maybe it'll give you some ideas.  

Agree with @ReverendDangles, at 1000 points, I'd be tempted to swap out either the Wrathmongers or Skullreapers for either more Blood Warriors or Bloodletters.  I tend to run 15 as my core (unit of 10 and 5) along with 10 Bloodletters which has so far given me a pretty robust objective capturing mechanism in games.

The Khorgorath is a great little unit if you use him for tar-pitting your opponents larger units.  Lock them in place and weather the storm - automatically healing one wound if you inflict any damage helps a little with this.  He's not a high-damage output monster

And yes I also rush - every turn your army isn't in combat means they're not doing what they do best.  However the scenario should be first and foremost, don't be afraid to park a unit on an objective (units of 5 Blood Warriors are ideal for that).

I'm not a fan of Bloodreavers - but that's very much down to personal preference rather than anything in game.  One comment I would make is that you've nothing hard hitting in your expansion list beyond a few mortal wounds, Bloodthirster, Daemon Prince etc would all add an extra element of lethality.

Out of your Gorechosen box I'd highly recommend the Skull Grinder - two attacks at 2" range, hitting on 3's and wounding on 2's with -1 rend and 3 damage.  Buff that up with the Bloodsecrator and rolling well on Unpredictable Destruction and you've an 80 point unit that can cause a horrible amount of damage.

For 1000 points i ran the following list in a local store and won 2 out of 4, but your mileage may vary depending on the opponents list.

Lord of Khorne on Jugernaut (Or mighty lord of khorne) - 140pts

Bloodsecrator - 120pts

Bloodstoker - 80pts

20 Bloodreavers - 120pts

10 Blood Warriors - 200pts

3 Skullcrushers - 160pts

5 Wrathmongers - 180pts

Total 980pts

Was a fun list, Lord on Juggernaut and the Skullcrushers acted as tar pits while i got my bloodreavers in, doing 3 attacks each :)

Bloodwarriors supported the wrathmongers while they rushed up and targeted hero's and elite units.

Aspiring Deathbringers have a great command ability, but doesn't affect daemons so it can fall short and also has a fairly small bubble to make use of it.

From what I've seen the biggest weakness for Khorne is range/speed, so some Chaos Knights, Skullcrushers, Flesh Hounds, or Bloodcrushers will give you some powerful flanking units. A flying Daemon Prince can be good too, but be careful not to rush it in on its own (also it is a fantastic model). Another ranged option is the Soul Grinder, which is also a beefy combat unit.

As far as tactics, look at some basic military maneuvres, like flanking and use of chaff.

Thanks for the comments everyone.   I agree that my list may be too elite heavy given the low point limit a time 1000.   I May run some more warriors or go the reaver route.  I am not super excited about bloodreavers but I did use a squad of 20 in a previous game and they wrecked house with buff from bloodsecrator (they also died fast but they did their job).  It's pretty interesting given the "rush in"fluff just how delicate you need to be with all the synergies in this force.  

Oh, and I will definitely try the skullgrinder!  Can't wait to see how hard he hits!

1 hour ago, Captbeefheart said:

Yes!  Skarbrand is on my list.  ( trying to figure out how to sneak him past my wife)!  Bloodthirsters are hard to hide.

but seriously I will get this model.  I have also never painted a monster so I can't wait!

If you don't mind an alternative to save some money (and therefore have your wife be okay with it), I built my Skarbrand from the Reaper Miniatures minotaur demon, along with some Khorne bits and wings from another of their demon monsters.

20160514_064017.jpg

20160514_064109.jpg

Archived