Beastclaw Raiders-Nug needs advice

Eugenesledge312

Hey guys. Brand new, and I chose this forum for my first post.

I recently got into Sigmar. I've played ONE demo game and kinda won against a shop owner. 

I have a decent understand of the basics. I bought the Icewind Assault box set, and that is my whole collection.

Im a good gamer despite the game I play, and Im a huge Hobbit player.

That being said, I have a few questions:

1- Besides my set, what else should I look into getting for this army. Im thinking possibly some more yetis and sabertooths, especially the cats, to fill points in and have some smaller troops for objectives and movement.

2- What are some general tips about Sigmar/other armies should I know. I.E. what are some of the most important things to know about this game or other armies so I dont slip up.

3-MOST IMPORTANTLY, how do I destroy kill maim slaughter destruct and dominate my opponents with beastclaw raiders. I understand this is a beastly tough elite force. I've read up a little on the hero and factions rules thanks to the wiki page(local stores dont have their army book-will get in the future). 

Tell me tactics on how to obliterate people. Or....you know....at least play savvy Sigmar players and compete while beginning this game. 

Hey, cool to see a new player picking up the BCR. Some fun can be had with this army, as well it being a good army to play with and potentially competitive to.

As far as your questions, here is a few points off the top of my head.

1. Adding a 3rd monster wouldn't be a bad shout. who doesn't love the monsters as this is the Beastclaw Raiders. Also, the Hero options are all good so having the option to take 2 is great. some of the formations also have a number of the monsters as battleline choices, so gives you options to run some of them.

For numbers, as you say adding the cats in helps with this, and there is also a cool formation for them.

Also, depending on what direction / formations your considering at the start will direct your list and model purchase. so maybe decide on something to drive your ideas initially.

2. This army will struggle when it comes to the scenarios, which is a big part of Age of Sigmar. Model count and numbers is important, and obviously this army isn't big in numbers. But, this army can smash hard, so playing well and picking targets correctly can mean your still able to do well.

3. Hit Hard, Hit Fast and Try not to get slowed down. Oh, and thundertusks 6 mortal wounds shot is horrible whilst they are at full health :)

8 hours ago, Eugenesledge312 said:

Hey guys. Brand new, and I chose this forum for my first post.

I recently got into Sigmar. I've played ONE demo game and kinda won against a shop owner. 

I have a decent understand of the basics. I bought the Icewind Assault box set, and that is my whole collection.

Im a good gamer despite the game I play, and Im a huge Hobbit player.

Hey there,

Good choices all round...except maybe The Hobbit! ;) j/k

1- Besides my set, what else should I look into getting for this army. Im thinking possibly some more yetis and sabertooths, especially the cats, to fill points in and have some smaller troops for objectives and movement.

The Icewind Assault set is a great starting point for a Beastclaw Raiders (BCR) army. I think the first big choice you will need to make is whether you will remain a pure BCR army, or if you will dip into the Destruction alliance. A lot of this will depend what kind of games you intend to play. You mentioned objectives so I will assumed Matched Play, in which case Sabretusks (and to a lesser extent Yhettees) are going to be a must for you if you play pure BCR. Otherwise you're going to have too few models to compete. This is why a lot of players will take generic Destruction Battleline units, such as Savage Orruks or Moonclan Grots to get extra bodies on the table, whilst using the BCR monsters to do the smashing. There is a multiple page topic here which is probably worth your time reading;

2- What are some general tips about Sigmar/other armies should I know. I.E. what are some of the most important things to know about this game or other armies so I dont slip up.

This question is very very vague my friend, not really sure where I would start with this. Do you know what armies you are likely to be facing to start with?

3-MOST IMPORTANTLY, how do I destroy kill maim slaughter destruct and dominate my opponents with beastclaw raiders. I understand this is a beastly tough elite force. I've read up a little on the hero and factions rules thanks to the wiki page(local stores dont have their army book-will get in the future). 

Tell me tactics on how to obliterate people. Or....you know....at least play savvy Sigmar players and compete while beginning this game. 

Your BCR units, specifically the monsters and Mournfang, are very strong units that will cause a lot of damage to your opponents. However you are still required to use some thought if you wish to do well. Utilising traits and artefacts to boost movement and damage output (Frostlord on Stonehorn w/ Battlebrew if going generic Destruction is the bomb!!) is important, as are battalions to dictate deployment and the first turn. If you are playing an objective based game you will need to consider this when building your list. It's all well and good smashing your opponent, but you're going to need to be able to score as well.

Just a couple of thoughts to start with and get the conversation going.

Have fun,

Chris

39 minutes ago, ChippyRick said:

Haha, i did have it up for a while at work.

Wahey!!! Shouldn't you be working, not w**king?

39 minutes ago, ChippyRick said:

Good point made with assuming matched play (i auto consider that atm!!)

It's an easy assumption and for the most part, a fair one I think. However this forum hosts a plethora of gamers who enjoy their Warhammer in different ways. Going from the post though, I did get the impression @Eugenesledge312 would be playing competitive matched play as well, so I think your advices are all good.

I have also picked up the Icewind Assault box and really interest in how it can be manipulated with other Destruction forces.

@Chris Tomlin Thanks for linking the thread in your post. Some really good ideas and discussions in there. Would never have found this otherwise.

Was interested to read that everyone is using the Destruction allegiance abilities / commands etc over the Beastclaw Raider ones. Is this because high movement is such a critical thing in AoS, or because the BCR ones are underwhelming / random?

1 minute ago, Caffran101 said:

@Chris Tomlin Thanks for linking the thread in your post. Some really good ideas and discussions in there. Would never have found this otherwise.

No worries, we have a few such topics in this forum. I need to speak with @Ben about perhaps getting some permissions set up so I can sticky some of these such threads that are useful to our players and may not be found by new members.

1 minute ago, Caffran101 said:

I have also picked up the Icewind Assault box and really interest in how it can be manipulated with other Destruction forces.

Was interested to read that everyone is using the Destruction allegiance abilities / commands etc over the Beastclaw Raider ones. Is this because high movement is such a critical thing in AoS, or because the BCR ones are underwhelming / random?

Yeh AoS is interesting and vastly different to WFB in the fact you can look at the Alliances over the individual Factions. The BCR traits/artefacts are ok, but the generic Destruction ones really are great and supplement any Destruction army very well. As you say, movement is king!

OK GUYS A LOT OF RESPONSES. I LOVE IT. ILL REPLY BY NAME HERE:

CHIPPYRICK-

1. Yeah adding another beast one day would be awesome. I love all the models and their stats seem cool. Adding some smaller units in as well seems essential. The more I learn and play this game of course like you said, and I will see where I want to further go.

2. Yeah my initial thought was that this is probably one of the worst armies for certain scenarios where you need to be around objectives and such. As mentioned I play The Hobbit a lot and it is very objective-based and all your armies often struggle and gametypes like domination where you need the points on the board.

This might be answering someone else's comment in the other part of this topic but my initial thought was to add some destruction allies and even though I wish I did not have to to keep the theme. But I definitely plan to build an army for competition not just for looks.

3. I use a lot of magic and combat maniac stuff when playing other games I'm very excited about just being Smash Mouth with these guys. The range is always a lovely bonus.

CHRIS TOMLIN-

Oh come on Chris! The Hobbit is a fantastic system generally. Without it I wouldn't even know Sigmar existed. Years of competitive play and n the same armies that I've come to know very well pushed me in this direction now.

As for the second part of your comment, I kind of just replied to it^ but yes basically I want to use some kind of models that are smaller and able to fill in the ranks better so I will have to go outside of the Beast claw section to do that. I don't care for much of destruction that I've seen and fear I'll have to choose Orks. They aren't bad but I play orcs so much in Hobbit SBG I grow tired of them. 

When it comes down to it I might just prefer to have other models that match the theme and look of these guys to maybe represent the profiles of other destruction troops. Like some nice conversions. But yes I'm looking into other destruction stuff. 

As for the second part....I will mainly be playing Seraphon is my only friend coming over from The Hobbit with me has bought that army and we will play test against each other the most.

Also local store seems like everywhere to have stormcast all over.

The question is vague but I enjoy hearing as much as people are willing to say ;)

As for your final point..... absolutely. I don't simply enjoy destroying my opponent while they collect all the victory points and walk away with an easy win.

I've become a pretty good player and other games at this point by learning to really be dedicated with objectives. I really need to figure out the destruction Army bonuses and from what it seems like in this topic people seem to think those are better than the regular Beast claw Raiders faction bonuses. Do you have any more thoughts on that?

Finally thanks for showing that thread. 

I will be playing competitive matches as far as I know. 

I obviously am meeting new people now and I will play to do whatever makes them happy I.e. competitive or not but generally when I play this I want to play against someone with set objectives and both sides having their equal amount of points to bring in. 

Whatever that's called I guess in the book....is that pitched battles?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived