New To death: Mixing it up

Daniel

hi all.

So I'm building an army of Death. I want it to be a bit Lahmian themed of old. As a leader, I am opting for the Coven Throne (because, you know, female vampires!) and as a core, I love myself a whole heap of Zombies. But I also kind of like the giant undead bat-thing-what's-its-name as well as skeletons. The thing is: I like stuff from Soulblight, Deathrattlers, deadwalkers AND nighthaunt... If I want everything present in my army, is that at all possible? How would I be limiting myself if I want to use everything? Is such a thing even allowed, or do I need to stick to one of the above mentioned in order to build an army? 

I need to know, cause I already ordered the Malignant Getting Started AoS box, and I want to know if I can just blindly add zombies and skeletons to the mix.

At present, none of the Death sub factions have unique traits, so you aren't missing anything… except for faction-specific battleline options. If you're down with blocks of skeletons, zombies, or ghouls, though - like the old days! - you'll do fine.

That said, be aware that we don't know how these sub factions might change. There's no guarantee that they will continue to play well together.

Hi Guys, I am new to death aswell, maybe you can give me some inputs:

I want to make a death army and would like to get some ideas how to round things up since I want to make this army because I really like some of the models of the death faction.

Things I'd like to include:

Morghasts

Spirit Hosts

Mortarch (most likely Neferata, but Arhan would be an option for 1k Point games)

What are my options for Battleline?

What I have read is that either Zombies or Skeleton Warriors are the most useable, but I dont want to add to much support to them, maybe a necromancer.

I thought about getting the zombies but I fear that if I merge them to a big unit, I will have a very static army with the one big unit and elites (Morghasts and mortarch).

So the idea is to field 2 Units of 10 Skeletons....what do you think about it?

What other leader would be good to include, since the Mortarch cant use the Death artifacts.....

Thanks so much!

Doesn't really matter Mortarchs can't use artifacts, right? They already brought their own :]

And for Battleline: Morghasts and Spirit Hosts apparently ARE battleline units. Sooooo... :]

Edit:

Neferata, Mortarch

Two Morghasts

10 Skeletons

3 Spirit hosts

3 Spirit hosts

1000 points exactly. Something Like that?

If you just need a battle line to fufil the requirements then skeletons probably need the least support. Zombies would be cheaper if you absolutely weren't planning on using them for anything significant.

Vampires are able to buff all death units, so might be a good choice for another hero? Buff the Morghasts. VLOZD with the chalice and the ring of immortality is nuts, once it dies it is re set up with d3 wounds, then drinks the chalice to heal another d6 wounds

19 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Doesn't really matter Mortarchs can't use artifacts, right? They already brought their own :]

And for Battleline: Morghasts and Spirit Hosts apparently ARE battleline units. Sooooo... :]

Edit:

Neferata, Mortarch

Two Morghasts

10 Skeletons

3 Spirit hosts

3 Spirit hosts

1000 points exactly. Something Like that?

This list wouldn't be legal as morghasts are only battleline if you go full deathlords and spirit hosts are only battleline if you go full nighthaunt.  You would be short one battleline choice.  If you're mixing units from the subfactions, your battleline choices are skeletons, zombies, or ghouls.

As was stated, the futures of the subfactions are uncertain. They were named in anticipation of further development (fleshing-out *ba-dum tissss*) but as of now only the FEC have a legitimate Battletome.

In my opinion, however, you can't go wrong with Skeletons and Zombies. If you aren't planning on having a giant block of either be integral to your battle plan, purchasing thirty of one or the other will see you through the battle line requirements up through 2499 points.

I'm in the same sort of boat as OP; I really want to do Soulblight but don't really know how to plan for it except for getting all my Vamp hero ducks in a row. 

Hi Daniel

I'm in the same place just starting a death army. The Heelan Hammer guys did a great podcast this month on prepping a force that's worth a listen. I always try and apply the following:

1. 2 units that pose serious combat threat. This could be a Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon, Mourngal, Morghasts, etc.

2. For death armies try to include a few characters so you can spread them out and benefit from the allegiance abilities.

3. Think about threat range. We lack shooting so have to make up for it with speed or summoning. We have lots of fast flying troops to jump over blockers and threaten enemy backlines/objectives. Summoning is also very useful. Morghast Harbringers can be summoned within 18'' and charge 3D6'' in the same turn to pile on pressure. Magic is also are best range. Arkhan's Curse of Years spell can wipe out any unit and many death spells buff or cause lots of pain.

4. Try loads of combinations and see what works for you. Nothing beats games under your belt. I tend to start with models I think look cool and then gradually tailor in stuff to make the lists better. The joy of summoning means we can potentially take nearly all models in any game.

I'm likewise just about to dive into building a Death army, though I'm drawn to pure Soulblight - Blood Dragons were always one of those WHFB armies I wanted to build but never got around to, and starting AoS seems to be a great place to finally do so! 

Some good advice in here, I'll be sure to check out that podcast myself.

1 minute ago, discoking said:

I run an all Soulblight army and it's the dogs danglies. Hard hitting,super fast and super survivable.

The idea of an 11-model-army at 1000pts does give me the warm and fuzzies, even if it will struggle with silly little things like "objectives"...

Just wanted to keep you up to date: today at my local store there was a bargain box and i got completly new sprues for 40 skeleton warriors! for 10 euros :DDD

I also have a pair of morghasts....i think ill run the skeleton as a block of 30 and 10 and get a necromancer and wight king, so im on 800 poits as a start! with some spirit host, im at 1k points....I kinda like that list now :D

Yeah, Necromancers, Wight Kings (bring the Infernal Standard) and Vampire Lords are all kinds of awesome. If you run Neferata, you'll want to use her as your general, since her command ability is one of the best. If you like Skeletons, look into the Legion of Death formation and Tomb Heralds, Liche Priests and Necrotects from the Tomb Kings compendium. Those characters are absolutely awesome for Deathrattle units, and you can convert them for your army rather easily.

Good luck with your army!

Archived