Help building a competitive Wood Elves Army. 1000pts

Brucimus

Hi Guys,

Just a quick shout out for some advise. My friend is getting a bit down beat about losing a lot with his wood elves army.

He has most of the stuff in the compendium army pdf but is struggling to kill anything and gets destroyed trying to take objectives.

Does anyone have a competitive army that would work i can suggest to him.

We only play casually, but every game ends in him getting annoyed.

Eternal guard, shieldwall + 1 save. Throw a mystic shield onto them then thats another +1 save. Objective holders right there.

A unit of 20 glade guard are quite good when using the bodkin arrows. Shame its a one off ability, because they are brutal.

Wardancers in mass hordes are painful, they kill anything.

Waywatchers shooting is brilliant.

Problem is, Wood Elves are hard to play as they are all about countering combat, counter shooting, counter moving etc. It's a good blend to mix Sylvaneth and Woodies. Best of both worlds then.

• 3 weeks later...

I have heavy compendium wood elf army and while its a little unwieldy at times i have progressivly one more and more games.

Obviously we would talk all day about options depending on the objective in mind however here are a few things ive picked up.

Firstly i couple of choice units like people have mentioned above:

GLADE LORD ON FOREST DRAKE: This guy is my favorite and is feared by many when i use him. His stats are very respectable being about the same as high elf drake.  His command ability can really up certain sections of your army as it allows re rolls of 1 for hits and wounds for a chosen unit (Great for when you use the bodkins) Add a relic blade artifact and a command trait and he can duke it out with the best of them in close combat. But his crowning jewel is his breath attack. It stops any enemy units within 3" of him from declaring attacks until everything else on the board has. Meaning you can land him in a crush of melee and let your warriors unload there attack without fear of being attacked back.

WYLDWOOD RANGERS: They dont have shields but the eternal guards shields arent that great anyway. But great attacks that can deal D3 damage each against monster they are either good units without monsters or brutal ones with.

I agree with all of the assesments above and use them myself quite alot.

Wood elves arent designed to be durable plain and simple.

If you need to get somewhere fast your fine with uber fast cavalry, infantry and moving magic.

if you need to defend something then your eternal guard using fortress of bowes with a mystic shield, in cover (if you can) and if you happen to have sisters of the watch throw shield of thorns on them which will mean the have 3+to hit 3+ to wound two rows of attacks 3+ save (2+ for cover) AND will cause a mortal wound for each save of 6+ (Which becomes 4+ with buffs and 3+ with cover!!) combined with a command ability and a big unit of archers your opponent are in for a rough time.

The biggest problem youl face is when the roll is reversed. The taking is easy but the holding is a nightmare. The best thing a can reccommend is using a fast moving unit such as wild riders or glade riders to rush past the objective and form a wall on the opponents side of the field.

I then move the rest of my troops up (You will get to the objective first your wood elves thats your thing) once you have control of the objective its really just a case of throwing as much as you can to try and keep that gap your riders made open for as long as possible using all of the above.

Quite alot there but let me say this. Most WE players ive met seem to have the opposite problem in that they stick to the new units and ignore the compendium. Your friend wants to get some choice compendium AND some new ones. the old units have some great buffs and vice versa that most people wont expect because they are not as clued up on the compendium units.

Archived