Objectives height?

WAAAGHdogg15

Question

This came up in a game I played last night. We were playing three places of power and I wanted to position one of my heroes in such a way that they were standing on a really tall piece of scenery, next to one of the side objectives which was on the floor below them, more than 3" vertically but well within 3" horizontally.

My question, basically, is - is that hero claiming the objective or not? Is the objective infinitely high or is it a flat disc on the ground? The battleplans (nor any of the other rules that I've seen) ever mention this. How do others play it?

5 answers to this question

Measuring should be done closest point to closest point - not horizontally/vertically.  If you have a model on a platform then you'd measure from their foot (or edge of the base) to the objective below directly/diagonally.

From the point of view of the objective, I think it's a case of being sensible and to read the scenario (e.g. Gift from the Heavens is clear its a lump of meteor).  I've got a couple of objective markers on 40mm bases which I've found work fairly well (they're about 1" tall) and will likely do some similar ones on 32mm bases.  Anything larger I personally feel dominates the board a little too much.

The rules state that you've got to be within X" of an objective to score. In my mind, this means vertically and horizontally

I think it assumes you'll play it sensibly and use them as small tokens. Lots of rules say 'a unit'. In open play, you could take thousands of models in a unit but it'd be exploiting things if you did. Particularly if you're measuring to bases on the models, you should measure to base on the objective. If you're not measuring to bases...then it's definitely open to interpretation.

Archived