Lets Build Heldenstone Together

Ejecutor

1 hour ago, Snarff said:

Just popping in to say that I love seeing what fantastical things people can come up with in the mortal realms.

To add onto this, I would consider Bismuth. The fractal-like patterns it forms would fit perfectly IMO, and they can be both quite colourless or very colourful.

Bismuth_crystals_and_1cm3_cube.jpg.f038e4ba81df962a8ed6ba9f70837af8.jpg

00734240014960975184257.jpg.157789ce0ff43eb3e85c3f14e1a63240.jpg

And even though it might be a little cliche, I really like the thought of a small metal waterfall somewhere. Or an (autumnal) birch tree with some small metallic highlights, such as the leaves being copper and/or either the bark or the lenticells being silver/lead-like respectively.

360_F_93948569_JqTucVQFD6nqAv4DPyWjEZ7nsO2i8riI.jpg.68cef2dbcecce0833fe0bc334c8e19af.jpg

I think getting that bishmut look (or even sculpting the shapes) is out of my skills right now, but it is a super idea.

About the waterfall I was waiting for a Jagelhom stretch goal that wasn't unlocked in the end, but I considered it as well. I like the metalic cubes idea, now I am thinking how to implement it (or something on those lines) as I would like the scenery built with the kits being quite realm agnostic, in case I want to play it with a different realm feel. So I was considering doing those elements as a separate scenery piece, but it is all in my head still thinking on the possibilities.

In terms of progress I've being quite busy, but the lower level is almost ready to be painted. I just need to clone a pillar and make a little replacement on a corner. 

20231215_210917.jpg.9dec08166927a47f139efdf90b144ee7.jpg

Here I sculped the metalic bits. I am not fully sure about the nails on the top bit. They are too big, so I might remove them and make them smaller, or even use a different material to make it easier.

With the remaining green stuff I did that "purity seal" and I quite like it. I am planning to add a bunch of candles around the front of the building and the altar. Maybe some more seals.

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I think getting that bishmut look (or even sculpting the shapes) is out of my skills right now, but it is a super idea.

I was having a similar problem with sculpting fossils until I found out that you can actually just buy real fossils for cheap.

Maybe the solution is to just buy some Bismuth crystals. Or grow them yourself from pepto bismol for the hobby cred.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I was having a similar problem with sculpting fossils until I found out that you can actually just buy real fossils for cheap.

Maybe the solution is to just buy some Bismuth crystals. Or grow them yourself from pepto bismol for the hobby cred.

I think just buying the crystals outright or buying the Bismuth to make the crystals (which still gives you cred) is cheaper than the pepto bismol needed to produce anywhere close to the amount you would need for terrain lol.

On another note, they should really hurry with releasing that additional Dawnbringer outposts terrain if they want to ride any of the CoS hypetrain. Or they're saving it for a wave 2, hopefully the rest of the dawner terrain should stay available.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snarff said:

I think just buying the crystals outright or buying the Bismuth to make the crystals (which still gives you cred) is cheaper than the pepto bismol needed to produce anywhere close to the amount you would need for terrain lol.

On another note, they should really hurry with releasing that additional Dawnbringer outposts terrain if they want to ride any of the CoS hypetrain. Or they're saving it for a wave 2, hopefully the rest of the dawner terrain should stay available.

I have the feeling we won't see those kits, sadly. Meanwhile I am saving some scrap building material to build them on my own. Or even expand it in a way similar to what was built for Realms of Ruin.

2 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

I have the feeling we won't see those kits, sadly. Meanwhile I am saving some scrap building material to build them on my own. Or even expand it in a way similar to what was built for Realms of Ruin.

I actually have good hope that we will see them, alongside the next wave of Thunderstrike. They even showed a new Thunderstrike design that will inevitably be a new model.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Snarff said:

I actually have good hope that we will see them, alongside the next wave of Thunderstrike. They even showed a new Thunderstrike design that will inevitably be a new model.

I hope Sigmar listen to you. If they don't I would follow the same strategy I've just used to copy one of the warcry scenery pillars:

image.jpeg.e8e1b4a63df8073d1a06b01674926325.jpeg

image.jpeg.91d5b82a2189353600bc9f8fad6dfda8.jpeg

My plan is to copy one of the pillars. I am still unsure if it would be a one side or two sides mould, but then I plan to use it as the base for full buildings, as the walls are quite simple.

• Like 3

A little error I had during my last assemble test before start painting I think have lead into a better structure.

After this post I got another roof from a sprue to put it on the top-right corner. In the upcoming pics you would be eable to see it. I had to trim down a bit its leght to fit, and I think the result is pretty decent.

When I was doing the asemble test I totally forgot about the little roof corner, as I have it separate because I started to pain it, and as I didn't asemble it all I got an extra roof from somewhere else so I assumed it was supposed to be in the place of the little one. In order to fit it I trimmed down the wood and I think the result is an improvement.

image.jpeg.b1ddf261852e6b305d62a15aad519dd2.jpeg

image.jpeg.242362e0b1e44cc2a7e2ed9f441d9038.jpeg

Now the first floor would have more roof area, which I think it is ideal. Having more roof and slowly going into less while you go up in the levels. This would also create a more playable area. Which option do you prefer?

In order to finish it I need to add a bit of green stuff and to trim down the other big roof a bit in order to introduce the stairs with enough room to look that it fits and makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey @Ejecutor 👋🏻 I wish I had something constructive to add but it really seems like you’ve already got a great thing going on here! 

When I work on terrain, I’ve found texture is at least as important as the rest of what’s going on if you’re shooting for something more immersive. Basing is a more obvious example but the same applies to stonework, for example. When they’re painted up etc and ready to go, your walls will look much more like actual walls with some kind of growth (whatever that looks like in Chamon or Hysh! But that’s the fun part!), rain stains, perhaps a lightning scorch mark near the church, a bird’s nest in the gutters…

All small details but they really bring scenery to life, tell little stories, and make it “yours”. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, The Brotherhood of Necros said:

Hey @Ejecutor 👋🏻 I wish I had something constructive to add but it really seems like you’ve already got a great thing going on here! 

When I work on terrain, I’ve found texture is at least as important as the rest of what’s going on if you’re shooting for something more immersive. Basing is a more obvious example but the same applies to stonework, for example. When they’re painted up etc and ready to go, your walls will look much more like actual walls with some kind of growth (whatever that looks like in Chamon or Hysh! But that’s the fun part!), rain stains, perhaps a lightning scorch mark near the church, a bird’s nest in the gutters…

All small details but they really bring scenery to life, tell little stories, and make it “yours”. 

Many thanks! Obviously, it is still too early, once I have something that can be put together I think is when brainstorming for details and tips could be more handy. Right now I am open to any random idea, like the big metal chunks that were suggested or even new buildings that I didn't consider.

• 2 months later...

Jaggerholm STLs files are starting to be sent and now I have the first batch of the mountains system, so I starting to think about the shape of the mountain.

This is roughly how I would like to assemble it:

image.png.af1b007656d4f0753af9b7808b25019b.png

On the right side, I left a bit that would be mainly straight so I could put some arches on that side, mainly made with the cloned pillars from the ruins.

At the south, we have the Sigmar statue and both stairs that go all the way up to the church.

Finally, on the right and upper side, the mountain has a bottom level that is expanded a bit from the bigger mountain. Jaggerhol unlocked a piece for the cliffs system that has a cave. I will include that one on the left side. I was even thinking about adding some LED light inside.

What do you think about the shape of the mountain? Is it too boring?

• Like 1