2k Combo list

Malakithe

Being new to Death stuff I need some opinions. I have part of a list but need help on the rest. So far I'm thinking...

Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
Vampire Lord (140)
Skeleton Warriors x 20 (160)
Mortis Engine x 1 (180)
Mortis Engine x 1 (180)

So that's 1420. Skeletons are the obvious objective holders or tarpit or whatever. Vamp Lord will be flying around supporting whoever with spell debuff and the VLoZD will be flanked by the 2 engines creating a bubble of tanky healing death. 

So I'm left with 580pts. I was thinking maybe another beastie? 1 behemoth spot left. Maybe a mortarch for more spells? Maybe fill the rest of the points with lots of spirit hosts? A mourngul? I have no idea...also is 20 skellies ok?

5 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Being new to Death stuff I need some opinions. I have part of a list but need help on the rest. So far I'm thinking...

Vampire Lord (140)
Mortis Engine x 1 (180)
Mortis Engine x 1 (180)

So that's 1420. Skeletons are the obvious objective holders or tarpit or whatever. Vamp Lord will be flying around supporting whoever with spell debuff and the VLoZD will be flanked by the 2 engines creating a bubble of tanky healing death. 

So I'm left with 580pts. I was thinking maybe another beastie? 1 behemoth spot left. Maybe a mortarch for more spells? Maybe fill the rest of the points with lots of spirit hosts? A mourngul? I have no idea...also is 20 skellies ok?

Personally, I'd probably add in some big hitty ******. 

Leaders
Tomb Banshee (80)

Units
Morghast Harbingers x 2 (240)
Morghast Harbingers x 2 (240)

Yep definitely some Morghast Archai. They eat large infantry units and monsters for breakfast. Skellies are good, I've been taking a unit of 10 spearmen as a support/bodyguard unit and I've never lost the unit, they tar-pit and come back. My next big build is adding a Legion of Death battalion to my army. In units of 20 they now have 2 attacks each, necromancer casts van hels on them so they pile in and attack twice. Wight King or Vamp Lord command ability gives them an extra attack! Elite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might be worth considering using vargheists instead of morghasts. A unit of 3 vargheists has the same number of attacks as morghast harbingers with an almost identical weapon profile. They're faster (12" vs 9") but have a worse save (5+ vs 4+).

The thing that swings it for me though is the fact that they cost 160 points for 3 vs 240 for 2 morghasts, which is a pretty big difference.

And in terms of value for money you can use the flesh eater courts start collecting set to make your Vampire Lord on Zombie dragon and Vargheists, which is probably cheaper than buying VLoZD and Morghasts separately.

I've already got some Morghasts built as harbingers, and I think they're really great, possibly the best unit I own. But when I next expand my army I'm probably going to have a go at using vargheists instead because 80 points is a pretty nice bonus.

11 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Oh wow I didn't know that. The flesh eaters comes with all VLoZD parts? And 3 Vargheists?

Yeah it comes with the complete sprue which includes all the parts for any of:

abhorrent on terrorgheist

abhorrent on zombie dragon

vampire lord on zombie dragon

Or either of the two monsters without riders.

Similarly the crypt horrors sprue can be built as crypt horrors, crypt flayers or vargheists. They don't break up the sprues so that you can only build the units listed on the box. It's like a secret Start Collecting! Soulblight haha. Can't do much else with the crypt ghouls though.

Ok how about this...

- General
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Artefact : Cloak of Mists and Shadows
- Command Trait : Ruler of the Night
Cairn Wraith (60)
Vampire Lord (140)
UNITS
Mortis Engine x 1 (180)
Mortis Engine x 1 (180)