Need advice on expanding Malignants box

FouZe

Hi I'm quite new AOS, I've bought the Start collecting Malignants and assemble the Hexes, Spirit Host and Mortis engine.

As I like the battalion that came with the box (give me 3 wins by that) So I prefer to keep these 3 units.

Now I want to expand this army to 1000 or 1500pt and here's what I come up with.

Leaders

Vampire lord - 140

Necromancer - 120

Zombies 20 x 2 - 240 - For Battlelines requirement

Spirit host - 120 (So sad it can't be battleline)

Hexwraiths - 160

Mortis Engine - 180

This would be 960pts What do you guy think with this list? Should I change anything? also I've order Mourngul because I like the model

(Not using them unless I got to 2000pt)

Thank you !!!

(Sorry for my bad English, it's not my first language haha)

Screen Shot 2559-09-13 at 4.01.49 PM.png

Yeah, that looks good. You have a lot of nice synergies going between the zombies, necromancer and vamp lord. Remember to combine the two (or three when you go for 2K) zombie units into one unit (getting their number well above 30), keep the necromancer close so that you can transfer any wounds he takes, then use Van Helsing and the vamps command ability to rev the shambling horde up to eleven. Unfortunately you can't use the battle plan ability from the Malignant box in matched play, but they will all be useful as you build your army. :)

31 minutes ago, NoobhammerN8 said:

I'm not even sure you can combine zombie units in matched play, as it would be taking the units above their starting size. Is there a consensus on that?

There's a discussion going over here;

But since you're not adding models to an existing unit, but rather combining two units to create a new unit, which the zombies special rule allows them to do, I don't think it will be a problem.

Not entirely sure what's going on with the Malignant keyword... it's on all the nighthaunt-keyworded units as well as the Mortis Engine and the Coven Throne.  But because it is not a faction in the General's Handbook (like Nighthaunt is) there's no specific battleline units for it.  TBH I'd rather it replaced nighthaunt as a faction so those above two units could be taken without breaking faction.

The Mourngul is a good choice as it's a Nighthaunt (and Malignant) unit, fits your theme, is an awesome mini and super strong.

On 13/09/2016 at 4:28 PM, Grimnaud said:

Yeah, that looks good. You have a lot of nice synergies going between the zombies, necromancer and vamp lord. Remember to combine the two (or three when you go for 2K) zombie units into one unit (getting their number well above 30), keep the necromancer close so that you can transfer any wounds he takes, then use Van Helsing and the vamps command ability to rev the shambling horde up to eleven. Unfortunately you can't use the battle plan ability from the Malignant box in matched play, but they will all be useful as you build your army. :)

Thank for the input Grumnaud :)

Archived