Tomb Kings and other strange happenings

adreal

So, I recently decided to just do it and start a tomb kings army. I had considered doibg an updated one using soulblights or obr, but the classic imagery just can't be replicated in newer kits. I set out looking for STL files and some are okayish, but again, not great.

Then a local player offered to offload his tomb king stuff, and I rejoiced, but now I have the struggle of what to run them as, and what can I use to fill out the remainder of my force.

I'm thinking obr would work the best, what with them maybe getting archers, but getting chariots in there seems next to impossible, so then do I go with soulblight? No archers, but blood knights could do the job of chariots (some converting work though)

20211006_175528.jpg

20211006_170558.jpg

• LOVE IT! 1

My Soulblight army is mostly Tomb Kings stuff as well. Some units proxy fairly straight-forewardly:

Skeleton Warriors -> Deathrattle Skeletons

Tomb Guard -> Grave Guard

Skeleton Horsemen -> Black Knights

Liche Priest -> Necromancer

Tomb King -> Vampire Lord

Tomb King on Warsphinx -> Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon

So far, so good. For other units, you might have to get creative and start converting stuff more or less heavily.

A Casket of Souls can become a Mortis Engine/Coven Throne:Death

20210513_093004.jpg.615a855b1b6eff5d99bdda34e01c8e51.jpg

A Tomb Herald can be a Wight King:

20210521_080426.jpg.335797341efa4c06ef8973c7b7a8e0e8.jpg

Converting in the other direction, you can definitely also try to make current Soulblight units more Tomb Kingsy, like Gorslav and Direwolves:

20210823_192858.jpg.9c9c1f4d833b8d8bb5100bd1610b88c1.jpg

Personally, I find it the hardest to find a good use for Skeleton Archers, chariots and the snake kit. You could conceivably run one snake or chariot as a Corpse Cart, but it's a stretch. For archers, there's just not really any good proxy target at all, since Soulblight has no ranged units. No Death army really has.I

It might be worth considering Stormcast/Cities of Sigmar as your proxy army for Tomb Kings instead. There are several good archer and chariot options in those armies, if that is what you are looking for.

• LOVE IT! 2

Hey thanks for the reply guys.

Yeah, lack of archers and chariots sucks, I kinda understand why games workshop isn't expanding death rattle, but it still sucks.

Right now I'm feeling pretty strongly towards obr

Liege kavalos = tomb king on war sphinx

Boneshaper = liche priest

Soul mason = necrotech (I guess, not sure on this one)

Soul reaper = tomb queen

Mortek guard = skeletons warriors with sword and board or spears

Rumoured archer unit = skeleton warriors with bows

Kavalos deathriders = skeleton horsemen

Mortek crawler = screaming skull catapult 

Gothizzar harvester = necroshpinx

Immortis guard = ushabti

Necropolis stalkers = necropolis knights

Morghast harbingers = chariots

Morghast archai = tomb princes in chariots

Bone tithe nexus = casket of souls

Also kitbased up a happy little liche priest

20211010_192308.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, adreal said:

Hey thanks for the reply guys.

Yeah, lack of archers and chariots sucks, I kinda understand why games workshop isn't expanding death rattle, but it still sucks.

Right now I'm feeling pretty strongly towards obr

Going OBR is certainly not the worst idea. Maybe take a look at this glorious conversion for inspiration:

The only hurdle with OBR is that it's hard to fit the models you would most likely want to proxy on the right base size. Base size is important in Age of Sigmar. It's like the one thing about a model that is mechanically relevant.

A few suggestions:

The Tomb King on Sphinx is way too large to ba a Liege Kavalos. The Kavalos is on an 80mm round, the Sphinx needs at about a 120mm oval or bigger. My suggestion would be to proxy a Tomb King on Sphinx as Arkhan the Black instead. Or maybe a Gothizzar Harvester, although the base is kinda small and the Necrosphinx fits it better.

The Mortek Crawler has the opposite problem: It's huge, going on a 170mm oval base. You can consider converting once into an "updated" Screaming Skull Catapult, or just putting two catapults on one crawler base.

Here are a few others you should be aware of:

Necropolis stalker: 50mm round, Necropolis Knights: old chariot base, ~105mm oval.

Morghasts: 60mm round, Tomb Kings chariots: ~105-120mm oval

Bone Tithe Nexus: HUGE, Casket of Souls: smoll

I don't think any of this is impossible to solve, but it makes straight-up proxying a bit harder.

12 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Going OBR is certainly not the worst idea. Maybe take a look at this glorious conversion for inspiration:

The only hurdle with OBR is that it's hard to fit the models you would most likely want to proxy on the right base size. Base size is important in Age of Sigmar. It's like the one thing about a model that is mechanically relevant.

A few suggestions:

The Tomb King on Sphinx is way too large to ba a Liege Kavalos. The Kavalos is on an 80mm round, the Sphinx needs at about a 120mm oval or bigger. My suggestion would be to proxy a Tomb King on Sphinx as Arkhan the Black instead. Or maybe a Gothizzar Harvester, although the base is kinda small and the Necrosphinx fits it better.

The Mortek Crawler has the opposite problem: It's huge, going on a 170mm oval base. You can consider converting once into an "updated" Screaming Skull Catapult, or just putting two catapults on one crawler base.

Here are a few others you should be aware of:

Necropolis stalker: 50mm round, Necropolis Knights: old chariot base, ~105mm oval.

Morghasts: 60mm round, Tomb Kings chariots: ~105-120mm oval

Bone Tithe Nexus: HUGE, Casket of Souls: smoll

I don't think any of this is impossible to solve, but it makes straight-up proxying a bit harder.

Yeah strait up proxie will be pretty hard, so I'll have to work around some stuff.

The sphinx will fit on a 80mm base (with some overhang) the other option would be a king in chariot, but then I have a sphinx with nothing to do with, although arkhan could work.

Maybe I can update the crawler to look more like the ssc rather then use one outright (might be cheaper to do this anyways)

Looking at my chariot on 60mm base, I think i need to do something else, maybe a coiled snake for some necropolis knights, or, use a mindsteal sphiranx and mount a skellie on it....hmm

So, I was going to use the base of the bone-tithe and sit a casket where the big statue thing goes, so size wise, it should be okay

So, i have been busy over the last couple of days, rebasing some skeletons, working out what I want to run as what, things of that nature.

So, Liege kavalos, thinking I make that a tomb king in royal chariot, not as huge as a warsphinx, still adds authority.

Morghasts, well, these bad boys, I'm not sure. I think I can get necropolis knights and stalkers to work, but I could always put a death mask of a sphiranx and use then as a different shabti type model.

Ushabti being immortis guards works well enough, but necropolis stalkers are tricky.

Basic skeletons as mortek guard works well enough

Tomb guard wield the soulcleaver great blades

And tomb princes lead the units as mortek hekatos

And here is some pics

20211015_093339.jpg

20211015_132902.jpg

• LOVE IT! 2