New 3.0 list for 1k Tournament

Wolden Spoons

I've not played much 3.0 but have a tournament next weekend at 1000pts.

I know some will be new players but there will be LRL there and an apparently cheesy Be'lakor list so I've added some crunch to my list. 

- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar

- Mortal Realm: Ghur

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line

- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

LEADERS

Lord-Exorcist (95)**

- General

- Command Trait: We Cannot Fail  

- Artefact: God-forged Blade  

- Spell: Celestial Blades

- Spell: Stormcaller

Gotrek Gurnisson (435)**

- Allies

UNITS

3 x Castigators (75)**

5 x Liberators (95)*

- Warhammer & Shield

- 1 x Grandhammers

5 x Liberators (95)*

- Warhammer & Shield

- 1 x Grandhammers

5 x Liberators (95)*

- Warhammer & Shield

3 x Prosecutors with Celestial Hammers (95)**

CORE BATTALIONS

*Hunters of the Heartlands

**Warlord

ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENTS

Spell

I know Gotrek may be overkill but I like my paint job so I'm taking him. 

The spells, command ability, artifact, triumphs, grand strategy are all up for changing.

Let me know what you would change.

Thanks

What I found from my game with the list.

I can't roll 6s for Gotrek but very much can roll 3+. 

Main problems in the list, my General is very lacklustre. I played against Skaven (with Thanquol which was perfect!) so my boosts against demons or undead didn't happen. I tended to just use him as a walking 6+ feel no pain. Didn't manage to actually cast a spell all game. He was reasonable in combat but over all very underwhelming. I'm also not too sure what spells are best. Mainly buffing abilities I think.

The liberators did as the liberators do with the added caveat I never manage to hit with the grandhammers. I started 2 on the table and dropped the third on the back table objective he had wandered from so that was good.

Prosecutors were ok, add the pace my list misses otherwise but are a very soft target, granted Thanquol killed them this time but the fact stands. 

Castigators did very little also but it is nice to have some reach and again these will be better Vs demons or undead. 

I really struggled to find a grand strategy I liked. Battleline alive seems like the only half decent one especially if I manage to bring liberators back (managed it twice this game). 

My main concerns are my general, my grand strategy. My rolling with Gotrek.

Does anyone have decent suggestions for me?

Thanks for looking

Gotrek is a huge power piece for sure, but 1000 point games use the same board size as 2000 point games and Gotrek just can't be everywhere you may need him when he's almost half your army. 

You took about as many SC bodies as you could, but not a single damage dealing unit besides Gotrek. I have found that even Vindictors dies fast if you can't stack at least +2 save on them consistently, so Liberators are hardpressed to survive against much of the current meta. Castigators are Castigators, not bad at sitting on a backline objective and trying to do about 1 damage to something 18" away each turn. Prosecutors are fast and can go steal an uncontested objective, but will struggle to clear even the most basic battleline from a held objective, and don't survive against anything that can actually deal damage.

I think the first hero a lot of people look at for 1k games is a Lord Relictor. Translocation is the best prayer/spell in our book, and if you give him the Arcane tome, he can also cast Mystic Shield, which is probably the spell we currently want the most. At 1k points, I'm not sure I'd even take a Stormhost right now. You could just run Staunch Defender and be free to choose a good artifact from the core book (Ours are all trash in comparison).

I hate to "um actually" without really having any valuable advice, but unless I have missed something, you unfortunately can't take celestial blades on the lord exorcist. Lore of Invigoration is evocator-only, so Azyrite Halo is really your only choice for a buff spell if you want to stick with the exorcist.

Edited by Dogmantra
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

I hate to "um actually" without really having any valuable advice, but unless I have missed something, you unfortunately can't take celestial blades on the lord exorcist. Lore of Invigoration is evocator-only, so Azyrite Halo is really your only choice for a buff spell if you want to stick with the exorcist.

Nope, thay can take lore of invigoration spells perfectly fine.

Lightning blast is also a cheap way of getting MWs. I see nothing on the table worthwhile buffing anyway.

The Annihilators are going to be stuck at a 9” charge without an imperatant or Gavriel to boost them, not sure it’s worthwhile.

I wouldn’t bother with Vortex. Your only cast should be taken up by mystic shield anyway.

With a relictor, battleline and gotrek you’re at 735. I’d honestly just take 5 Evocators, translocate them, and call it a day. Deploy the evocators at the back of the board where they are safe and use translocation to slingshot them forward. Last 40 points for a triumph (reroll charges) or the dias arcanum for a late-game objective steal if you don’t get the translocate 3+. Take Prized Sorcery.

Celestial Vindictors (rr1s on charge, +1 attack CA) or Tempest Lords (more command points) are good stormhost picks here. Astral Templars could work too if you’re expecting to fight a lot of monsters. Or run no stormhost and pick the universal command trait to reroll prayers so you can guarantee translocate.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lucur said:

Nope, thay can take lore of invigoration spells perfectly fine.

FAQ (bolding mine):

Page 122 – Lore of Invigoration
Add the following under the title:
Evocators units only. Each Evocators unit in your army can
know and attempt to cast 1 spell from the Lore of Invigoration. This
is an exception to the rule that they cannot attempt to cast spells
other than Empower. If a unit of Evocators attempts to cast a spell
from the Lore of Invigoration, it cannot attempt to cast any other
spells in that hero phase.’

8 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

FAQ (bolding mine):

Page 122 – Lore of Invigoration
Add the following under the title:
Evocators units only. Each Evocators unit in your army can
know and attempt to cast 1 spell from the Lore of Invigoration. This
is an exception to the rule that they cannot attempt to cast spells
other than Empower. If a unit of Evocators attempts to cast a spell
from the Lore of Invigoration, it cannot attempt to cast any other
spells in that hero phase.’

I bow my head in shame and admit making a fool out of myself :D

• Like 1

I'm not sorry really, I got what I deserved with Gotrek. As half my force and no way to Chunnel him around he never lived up to his own legacy.

Round 1 was Savage Gains. Played against LRL who seemed to be playing a different game to me. They stayed pretty much 16' from Gotrek and mortal wounded everything to death. 

Round 2 was Tooth and Nail. Played against Nighthaunt who seemed to be playing a different game to me. Gotrek one shotted Olynder but they stole the points on the last turn. 

Round 3 was Feral Foray. Sadly an opponent had dropped. So I did too to keep numbers even. 

Morale isn't down and I still want more Stormcast models. Also looking at entering the Facehammer GT.

• Like 3