Very undecided about Chaos sub-factions & gods

Avindskjold

Hello, folks!

I've been aiming to break into AoS, and while I have had my eye on Death, I've always been a Chaos fan. I have a handful of classic, hunchback Warriors of Chaos units that haven't been assembled yet, along with an old metal chariot and a few lord/sorcerer Gamesday minis. Since I have a bit of a head start, building a Warriors of Chaos-derivative AoS army would likely keep my wallet happier, but I'm not really sure where to start. I don't have the Chaos Battletome; I mean to get my hands on it when I can. All my minis I have right now are very vanilla WoC/Slaves to Darkness aesthetically, unless I end up painting them a certain way. I just don't have a solid understanding of how different Chaos factions play, or where one god outshines the others. Of course, I'm all for building an army I'll enjoy thematically, but I don't want it to be a slouch against more promoted armies either! Expanding into Slaves/Bloodbound has been a idea, but I have also been interested in a Nurgle theme. Both would, of course, require me to add new models to the stock.

Any direction would be appreciated!

Don't bother with the Chaos Battletome, I've got it myself and its a considerable waste of money since just about everything in it is available for free.

Khorne armies tend to get a boost in charging or hit reliability.

Nurgle gets a boost in survivability as well as wound reliability.

Tzeentch can alter saves or boost magic, not really sure.

Slaanesh usually gives boosts to movement and pile ins. 

Khorne and Nurgle are usually the best as they can mesh with the Khorne Bloodbound and Nurgle Rotbringer mortals really well. 

while the stuff in the grand alliance book may be free on the app, its not always correct, the book is seen as the point of reference. so id pick it up.

ill also have to argue against some of the points made by aspirant.

khorne typically only gains boosts to wound rolls, many of the khorne models inherently have rerolls on to hit rolls, either rr1 or all misses depending on the elite standard of the troops. and extra attacks are thrown out to khorne armies like its nothing.  you can easily add upwards of 3 melee attacks per melee weapon without putting your army at a disadvantage.

nurgle, the most defensive unit correct, due to the negative to hit modifiers using some units an battalions, but this is typically for close combat, the wound aspect is more trying again rather than improving your chance ( which is far better )

Tzeentch is in a awkward place currently, due to the lack of mortal models dedicated to tzeentch, outside of heroes. using the everchosen battalion you've a great chance at increasing your damage army wide and survivability on certain units while increasing magic threat on heroes, this is the goto tzeetnch battalion, and afaik the only one lol for mortals.

slaanesh is for the more tact and objective based gamers I feel, or for smaller games rather than grand battles. but can still deal damage out rather respectably , incredibly nimble needs to charge in, deal damage and retreat, one unit can move 14+2d6+2d6 charge. that's a potential 38" threat range, but more likely a 28" they from the looks are not a army to be bogged down an fight it out. 

id advise, build some lists, really study the troops, then once you've found a list you really want to play, buy those models

I'll give the warscrolls on the GW store pages a look-through! For the record, I've been reading some battreps here and there, and scouring down tactical discussions, and I think I'm really fond of a Rotbringer focus. I always did like the Blightking models, and the idea of slogging them up to the enemy and laughing as they shrug off damage is a fun one! Some Blightking units and a Harbinger of Decay looks to be a good start. 

I have a friend with a group of 10 Blightkings and I can say with some certainty that they they are no fun to go up against as his opponent. Gutrot Spume is also a thorn in the side. 

4 hours ago, Arkiham said:

while the stuff in the grand alliance book may be free on the app, its not always correct, the book is seen as the point of reference. so id pick it up.

ill also have to argue against some of the points made by aspirant....

I suppose I should clarify that I was not talking about typical Khorne/Nurgle/Tzneetch/Slaanesh units, rather a summary of the two Slaves to Darkness units that actually give/grant abilities based on your dedication to a specific god (Daemon Prince and Chaos Warshrine). Slaves to Darkness otherwise receive no benefit from being dedicated to a specific god without bringing in Rotbringer or Bloodbound units. 

And I certainly hope no one would give another person grief for using the App, least of all a new player. 

3 hours ago, Aspirant Snaeper said:

I have a friend with a group of 10 Blightkings and I can say with some certainty that they they are no fun to go up against as his opponent. Gutrot Spume is also a thorn in the side. 

My 2000 point mixed faction Nurgle list has 15 of them. The only reason it isn't 25 is because I think Bile Trolls for an extra 20 points are even more brutal. 

As someone who has a lot of warriors you either want to pick Nurgle or Khorne. I think running 3 units of 10 as your battle line is viable. I would recommend straying across faction boundaries and picking up Epidemius or converting him. I've recently acquired Bloab to trial, but I haven't had him in a game yet.

I'd recommend that you get some ranged support, no matter which faction you end up going with. Either some skull cannons for a Khorne list, warp lightning cannons, or if you're sticking with Nurgle go for the plague claw catapult. 

Lastly take a look at Festus' warscroll, I haven't tried it yet (need to pick up the model this weekend) but he has a spell that gives a unit -1 to their armor saves permanently. Chaos warriors on their own are armed with pillows, with Epidemius you're landing a lot of hits and wounds, that would help ensure that more of the damage leaks through.

Suppose I splurge for Khorne, seeing as I already have the right Aspiring Deathbringer model - would it be better to use my existing hunchback warriors as regular SoD warriors, or as Blood Warriors? The former can be given the Khorne mark, and so benefits from Khorne synergies anyway. 

Seeing how easy it'd be to source the Bloodbound half of the starter box online, Khorne has become an attractive option to get a head-start in. With my models, I'd have something like:

-Mighty LoK

-Exalted Deathbringer proxy (Gamesday Chaos Lord 2009)

-Aspiring Deathbringer

-Bloodsecrator

-Bloodstoker

-5 Blood Warriors & 20 Warrior of Chaos -or- 25 Blood Warriors

-20 Blood Reavers

-Khorgorath

-Chaos Chariot

Well, it's official! I grabbed the Bloodbound half of the starter set. Assembly and painting should keep me busy for a while, and while I'm at it I'll piece together some lists. I've always loved the Skullcrusher models, and seeing as they come in the Start Collecting! box, they'd be easy additions. I just wonder - when it comes to Bloodbound's elite units, do they rank as highly as the 'reapers or 'mongers? More stuff for me to think about!

On 9/6/2016 at 3:16 AM, Arkiham said:

ah I see, an its not so much grief but just inaccuracies, for instance plaguebearers are different in the book compared to the app and online, manticore lord also I think, maybe a few others

How are plaguebearers different in the book?

Archived