What is your best combo?! +DWARF CHEESE

Solvanic

Hi guys,

So first I am curious what combos people are using to buff their armies in cool ways, please share! Second I wanted to share this dirty combo I have come up with and am seriously debating expanding my collection to field. The combo revolves around buffing 20 ironbreakers to provide uninterrupted shooting for the rest of my dwarf list. 

The buffing squad:

Sisters of the thorn: (gives the ironbreakers shield of thorns, allowing them to reflect wounds as mortal wounds on a 6 or higher, and reroll their saves outside the combat phase)

Battlemage: (gives the ironbreakers mystic shield)

Forge Brethren Formation: (1 Auric Runemaster+3x5 Auric Hearthguard. Gives +1 to result of save)

Thorek Ironbrow: (Gives +1 to save)

This in combination with the ironbreakers ignoring rend -1 makes for I believe the hardest unit to kill in the game. The Ironbreakers have a rerollable 1+ save, so essentially they cannot be hurt by anything that is not rend-2. Even against rend-2, they will save 8/9 wounds! 

Now to the best part. Say these ironbreakers take a charge from a massive unit of something that delivers 100 rend 0 or rend -1 wounds. They will take NO CASUALTIES, and deal back 66 MORTAL WOUNDS to the enemy unit. That is without attacking. Now obviously this unit is vulnerable to mortal wounds, but the shooting in the list will be dedicated to sniping all sources of mortal wounds as #1 priority. 

Lets say the ironbreakers get charged by 6 Varanguard felspears (rend-2) buffed up with +2 attack each. Assuming good rolling thats 27 rend-2 D2 attacks that would shred any other unit. The ironbreakers will lose 6/20 members, but the Varanguard will take 18 mortal wounds, killing over 3 on defense!

Looking at a unit that deals direct mortal wounds like retributors,  a group of 20 (880 points worth), with 8 starsoul maces, would deal ~16 mortal wounds to the ironbreakers, however the ironbreakers are immune to the retributors lightning hammer attack, and those 40 attacks would lead to ~26 reflected mortal wounds, killing 9 retributors on defense. Now obviously I would never let that much mortal wounds get into melee intact, but interesting math nonetheless. 

EDIT: I realize that in matched play 1s on saves fail, but 1/36 wounds taken is essentially immortal

This would be the full 2.5k list in case anyone is curious.

Vulkite Beserkers 3x5: 240
Sisters of the thorn:220
Thorek Ironbrow: 140
Battlemage: 100
Auric hearthguardx3: 300
Auric runesmiter: 100
Forge Brethren formation: 80
Unforgedx2 (both with runic blades): 200
30 Quarrellers: 360
Burloksson:100
Runelordx2: 160
Ironbreakersx20: 320
Gyrocopter: 80
10x warriors: 100

Irondrakes supported by a Runelord for the -2 rend (-3 with torpedo) shooting attacks.

I'm desperately trying to find a unit to combo with an Anvil of Doom as I'm working on a conversion to use in my Ironbark Wargrove list.  I was thinking probably a unit of Ironbreakers for the extra protection. Use them as a solid line to hold the enemy in place and then bash the hell out of them with Treelords and Hunters.

@solvanic that's a nice combo with the reflecting mortal wounds. You can do a similar thing just using all three units in the forge brethren for +3 save as it stacks and is more reliable than using mystic shied.

I like a unit of 20 Hearthguard berserkers with polaxes buffed by the forge brethren for +3 save, a Battlesmith to reroll saves and a Runesmiter to reroll wounds.

1+\1+\4+ is crazy survivable and they hit really well too.

7 hours ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

@solvanic that's a nice combo with the reflecting mortal wounds. You can do a similar thing just using all three units in the forge brethren for +3 save as it stacks and is more reliable than using mystic shied.

I like a unit of 20 Hearthguard berserkers with polaxes buffed by the forge brethren for +3 save, a Battlesmith to reroll saves and a Runesmiter to reroll wounds.

1+\1+\4+ is crazy survivable and they hit really well too.

Are you sure this stacks 3x on one unit? I would be surprised. But would be excellent for my list building!

On 9/6/2016 at 3:39 AM, Nico said:

It does stack - but doesn't work if you charge.

Mortal wounds would still shred this unit. Thankfully it's also moving at movement 4.

This is semi true, the ironbreakers drummer allows them to auto run 4, so they can move 8 per turn! I am planning on taking the charge not giving it, and mortal wound sources are #1 shooting priority!

I use Runesmiter, Hurricanum and Hearthguard Berzerkers. They're pretty cheesy! It was a while ago but the best I got off was about 40 mortal wounds in 1 round of combat! Deleted a Maw crusha and some brutes [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Archived