Digital Battletome

Snarks

Bought myself an Ipad a month ago for the purpose of buying my codex' and Battletomes on there just to have ease of updated rules etc and have everything in one place. 

Any opinions on either buying via the Azyr app vs ibook? I know they've got enhanced versions for the 40k stuff on Ibook but nothing for AoS atm. 

Cheers 

I like buying them on the Azyr app so you can load the faction rules into "My Battle" and see your spells, artifacts, etc. in one place above your warscroll cards in the app, as well as having the battalion rules actually show up in the app. The battletomes themselves don't actually get updated however, which is very frustrating.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Snarks said:

Bought myself an Ipad a month ago for the purpose of buying my codex' and Battletomes on there just to have ease of updated rules etc and have everything in one place. 

Any opinions on either buying via the Azyr app vs ibook? I know they've got enhanced versions for the 40k stuff on Ibook but nothing for AoS atm. 

Cheers 

100000% avoid azyr

twice I have lost things I've bought in Azyr over the years on an iPHone and GW doesn't return your purchases nor have any mechanisms to restore the product.  And Apple cannot restore the battalions or books you buy through Azyr.

To be honest looking at this practically I would suggest avoiding digital.  GW is doing a terrible job at it and there are a lot of people worried about them making paywalls digitally.  

If no on supported Digital products from GW they would be forced to a) fix the issues, b) stop releasing garbage and find a better solution (hahaha neither will happen)...

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

100000% avoid azyr

twice I have lost things I've bought in Azyr over the years on an iPHone and GW doesn't return your purchases nor have any mechanisms to restore the product.  And Apple cannot restore the battalions or books you buy through Azyr.

To be honest looking at this practically I would suggest avoiding digital.  GW is doing a terrible job at it and there are a lot of people worried about them making paywalls digitally.  

If no on supported Digital products from GW they would be forced to a) fix the issues, b) stop releasing garbage and find a better solution (hahaha neither will happen)...

I usually love physical books and own about 6 at the moment for different factions in both 40k and AoS but I've started to notice GW changing stuff a month after release with a FAQ or look at the Lumineth release too, so I'm mainly getting it for the updated changes, which is a shame. (Also I don't feel so guilty with the misses reading at night with an Ipad haha) 

13 minutes ago, Kelsicle said:

Definitely get them through the apple store. If at any point you decide to not maintain your Azyr membership or GW decide to stop supporting it you will lose your battletomes. 

Thanks, I went with the Apple store in the end as I've seen a few horror stories about Azyr. Appreciate the feedback all :)

12 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

My Understanding was GW was pulling stuff off the apple store/ibooks.  am I mistaken?  

Didn't even realise that! Looked it up and can only see that if you buy a physical codex for 40k stuff, you get a free code inside for their App and no way to buy it digitally standard. 

Wouldn't mind it so much if they came with a code inside so I can have the best of both, think it might not be in place for AoS at the moment though. 

GW's approach to digital products is extremely frustrating, inconsistent and impossible to understand. Currently it's impossible to buy ebooks for 40k and Warcry, but AoS is still supported both through the app (which isn't great) and in epub format (the fixed width epub books are extremely good and I buy all my AoS books this way).

40k ebooks ARE being produced, but you can only get them by buying hardback books and unlocking the digital versions with a code in the 40k app, which is the worst possible way to handle digital products and I don't think anyone likes it. I dislike it enough that I've stopped buying 40k books, so I really hope they don't try to implement this system for AoS.

I was very disappointed when there were no digital editions of the Warcry Grand Alliance books and the new Tome of Champions. Pretty sure this means they've dropped all digital support for the game. If you email customer support about any of these subjects they will tell you that they don't know.

Anyway, at the moment you're good if you want AoS ebooks for android devices, but that's about all.

47 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

GW's approach to digital products is extremely frustrating, inconsistent and impossible to understand. Currently it's impossible to buy ebooks for 40k and Warcry, but AoS is still supported both through the app (which isn't great) and in epub format (the fixed width epub books are extremely good and I buy all my AoS books this way).

40k ebooks ARE being produced, but you can only get them by buying hardback books and unlocking the digital versions with a code in the 40k app, which is the worst possible way to handle digital products and I don't think anyone likes it. I dislike it enough that I've stopped buying 40k books, so I really hope they don't try to implement this system for AoS.

I was very disappointed when there were no digital editions of the Warcry Grand Alliance books and the new Tome of Champions. Pretty sure this means they've dropped all digital support for the game. If you email customer support about any of these subjects they will tell you that they don't know.

Anyway, at the moment you're good if you want AoS ebooks for android devices, but that's about all.

Always fantastic when you've got nothing but Android devices and then decide to go for an Ipad literally just for Battletomes and the occasional go on YouTube 😂

21 hours ago, Snarks said:

Wouldn't mind it so much if they came with a code inside so I can have the best of both, think it might not be in place for AoS at the moment though. 

40k Books have a code for the 40k app.  

So you have to pay the monthly fee for the 40k app, then buy the physical copy, then you get access to the digital book via the app you are paying for,...

<shakes head>

Back 10-15 years ago if you bought a record or CD it came with a free digital download so fans of the band got multiple versions and didn't support the piracy.  Why GW isn't just putting a slip in the book (they are all sealed anyway) for a free pdf download.  then you can just copy it into whatever reader on any platform you want.

You don't actually need to buy the 40k app to use it. If you have your codex and enter the code you get access to the digital content for that book. Paying for the App just gets you an army builder and access to all current warscrolls for all the units in the game, not just those in your army.

That said the App is kind of terrible to navigate at times, and has some what I could only describe as purposely bad design elements.

• Thanks 1