Skaven Doomwheel Rules Clarification

Hi All,

I had my first game with a doomwheel a while back with a friend, before covid restrictions. Planning another game for when restrictions relax a bit but want to clarify something from that first game in case it comes up again or in future.

Rolling Doom, states in battlescribe- 

"When this model makes a normal move, it can pass across models with a Wounds characteristic of 3 or less in the same manner as a model that can fly. In addition, after this model has made a normal move or a charge move, roll a dice for each unit that has any models it passed across, and each other unit that is within 1" of this model at the end of the move. On a 2+ that unit suffers D3 mortal wounds."

So my question is on the highlighted section. I read it as Part 1, "each unit that has any models it passed across," as well as Part 2, each other unit that is within 1" of this model at the end of the move. Meaning I don't need to have done Part 1 in order to also get Part 2, in other words I just need to finish a a normal move or a charge move within 1" of 1 of his models to do the 2+ for D3 mortals. I could roll across a clear table, pass over nothing, finish my 1" from him, and roll for the D3.

He reads it as I have to pass across his models first, then finish within 1", then I get the chance to roll for the D3 . Meaning I need to do Part 1 first then Part 2 will apply. I would need to roll over something or anything of his and finish within 1" only then can I roll for the D3.

I hope I explained this well enough and didn't labour it to much. Overly simply put, its the ", and" that we have differences in interpretation, I think.

Any and all input welcome, if you need me to explain any more just ask and if you can give other examples in your clarification, it would be very much appreciated.

ps. Don't know if it has any bearing but he plays stormcast.

Thanks for reading.

• 6 months later...

I was looking at some clarification on the same Doomwheel rules, but a different element.

As I read it, you can do mortal rules on those units with 3 wounds or less you roll over. And those units you finish within 1inch of, which could have any wound characteristic. Rather than just 3wound and less units you finish 1inch within.

Is this the community reading or have I misread?

25 minutes ago, Throt said:

I was looking at some clarification on the same Doomwheel rules, but a different element.

As I read it, you can do mortal rules on those units with 3 wounds or less you roll over. And those units you finish within 1inch of, which could have any wound characteristic. Rather than just 3wound and less units you finish 1inch within.

Is this the community reading or have I misread?

Yes

Thanks Skreech Verminking! First time picking up a book since 8th edition, so I appreciate the clarification - new world! 

That seems quite fun to be able to use that artefact that doubles movement to suicide a doomwheel up the field, doing some miscellaneous damage to rank and file before finishing next to a 5 wound hero. I like it!