Loatsome Sorcery vs Mastery of Magi, how does it work?

Rangeltoft

Question

4 answers to this question

I don't see any problems with the interaction:

The Lord of Change makes a casting roll, and uses Mastery of Magic to change the value of the lower die. Then, if the casting roll is successful, the Bloodsecrator's Loathsome Sorcery will force the Lord of Change to re-roll that casting roll. The Lord of Change can then use Mastery of Magic again to modify the lower die of the re-roll.

To me, that seems consistent with Mastery of Magic happening "when this model makes a casting [...] roll," (which happens twice in this example), and Loathsome Sorcery happening "before any unbinding rolls are made." That's how I'd play it in normal games - in a tournament YMMV, so ask your TO.

28 minutes ago, Kadeton said:

I don't see any problems with the interaction:

The Lord of Change makes a casting roll, and uses Mastery of Magic to change the value of the lower die. Then, if the casting roll is successful, the Bloodsecrator's Loathsome Sorcery will force the Lord of Change to re-roll that casting roll. The Lord of Change can then use Mastery of Magic again to modify the lower die of the re-roll.

To me, that seems consistent with Mastery of Magic happening "when this model makes a casting [...] roll," (which happens twice in this example), and Loathsome Sorcery happening "before any unbinding rolls are made." That's how I'd play it in normal games - in a tournament YMMV, so ask your TO.

But rerolls happens before modifiers, if im not remebering wrong. And the Mastery of Magic is a modifier as of the latest DoT Faq/errata.

10 minutes ago, Rangeltoft said:

But rerolls happens before modifiers, if im not remebering wrong. And the Mastery of Magic is a modifier as of the latest DoT Faq/errata.

True. I tend to avoid applying this to new situations, because I think it's the worst design decision in AoS, but you're probably right that it would be ruled that way.

So taking that into account, the sequence would be:

The Lord of Change makes a casting roll. If the unmodified roll beats the spell's casting number, Loathsome Sorcery forces the Lord of Change to re-roll that casting roll. The Lord of Change can then use Mastery of Magic to modify the lower die result. If the modified result means the spell would be successfully cast, the Khorne player can then make an unbind attempt as normal.

I think this is a good question for the FAQ-Team.

The thing is, we had such sitations with the old Battletome (where rolls of 6 were changed to rolls of one for example with the old Screamers rule).

The thing is after the dice itself was changed not the value, back than it was counted as a unmodified roll (so the roll of 1 could have been re-rolled) and only adding/substracting/multiplying and dividing from the roll was counted as a "modifier".

Later those "change the roll" abilities were mostly removed.