Treasures of the Old World

Now that sometimes shunned poor cousins - the legacy scrolls - have been rehabilitated into legitimacy, what are peoples personal faves? There was a lot of love in the early days for such luminaries as the Hellcannon, Settra, Necrosphinx, Skaven BSB, Skink Patrol (now nerfed does it still have some worth), even the good old Engine of the Gods (for Warlords, where meddling with priority is a thing). I like Miners, the Green Knight might be fun. 

Which are the other treasures lurking in the dark shadows of the Ap?

The Engine will work even if there is a house rule that says no meddling with the initiative rolls, since it completely sidesteps that process. I think this is intentional on the part of the writers of the SCGT pack. The only objectionable aspect is where generic rerolls are used on the initiative dice as opposed to specific rules that have a hefty cost attached to them (e.g. Lords of the Lodge, Engine, Overlords of Derping).

Settra is mandatory for all Tomb Kings lists. 

Hellcannon is brutal if you cannot shred the crew. I completely forgot to shoot the crew off in a game against one and ended up taking 18 mortal wounds in 2 turns on my Magma Dragon.

Kemmler and little Mannfred are very useful.

Good thread!

Getting the obvious Balewind Vortex out of the way, in my experience all the legacy stuff I've used to date has been pretty advantageous:

-Dwarf Grudge Throwers and Flame Cannons are both solid artillery pieces. Grudge throwers in particular being a solid way of annoying your opponent by killing off his most useful/annoying characters on the first turn, though I'll probably replace my grudge throwers with Helstorm Rocket Batteries when I've got round to buying/painting them as they've got roughly the same damage output and don't need an engineer babystitting them, meaning I can save 80 points and not have to deploy them in a cluster.

-Dwarf Engineers cost only 80 points vs an Ironweld Cogsmith's 100, are more survivable, and armed with a hammer clean up in melee. Grimm Burlockson costs exactly the same amount of points as a vanilla cogsmith and is better in every way, with his ability to give an extra 6" range to a unit of Quarrellers, ensuring they always get to fire on the first turn being a massive bonus.

-Joseph Bugman is a neat little utility hero (who admittedly does rather ****** damage, I've used him in almost every AoS game I've played since launch and I'm not sure I've seen him kill anything), who allows himself and a unit of Quarrellers to deep strike, miner style from turn 2. He's pretty great at jumping on objectives and his tankard does a good job of keeping him alive. Also he gives me an excuse to hold a drink in my hand while playing.

-My Dwarf Lord on shieldbearers a with double handed weapon is now pretty costly under the General's handbook (160pts) but is almost always worth it for the look on your opponent's face when you explain his axe is damage 3 with 2 rend. I'd be tempted to trade him for Ungrim Ironfist now he only costs 100 points, but I'd have trouble justifying story reasons for him to be tagging along with an AoS Dispossessed force.

Balthasar Gelt is a solid wizard with two spells for 160 points and an awesome unique spell for sniping characters (especially when combined with arcane bolt from the top of a balewind vortex on turn 1).

10 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Apparently the Empire State Troop Detachment battalion is quite good. I may need to paint up some more Freeguild Guard to go with my griffon. ;) 

I would only ever run pistoliers if I was taking a state troop detachment as they can hit stuff with their pistols if they are stood near some friendlies. Without that warscroll pistoliers are hopeless.

35 minutes ago, SentinelGuy said:

I would only ever run pistoliers if I was taking a state troop detachment as they can hit stuff with their pistols if they are stood near some friendlies. Without that warscroll pistoliers are hopeless.

Pistoliers as part of this formation next to a general on griffon who's used his command ability on them and now hit on 3s

Archived