"White" tree rev and "Black" spite rev colour help?

albionsangel

Hi all, 

Progressing well with my fire themed Sylvaneth, and trying to come up with colour schemes for the "spirit" parts of the revanents. For reference, here is a repost of my treelord ancient.

IMG_20210124_210550.jpg

And my newly done Dryad scheme

IMG_20210203_223925.jpg

I am fairly certain on some things:

• Neither spirit should be the same colour as my "flames" (Averland sunset, trollslayer, mephiston) as that would take it from an accent colour to an in-your-face colour
  • Neither should be blue (there is no blue on any other model), and I dont think either should be purple (as its an accent colour on my elite units only)
  • Trees and Spites should be very different to each other

This is posing some problems. I have already written off quite a few colours there. And I dont think Green would work either. 

But I wondered about a "white" tree rev spirit and a "black" spite rev spirit. Both accented with the yellow/orange/red. I think it would look striking. The Spites would end up overall dark and sinister, and the tree revs would be nice and bright. It might not work, but its worth a try. 

I dont know how to do it though. Obviously, painting one white, and the other black, will look awful. Clearly I need shades and highlights for it to look good. So "White" is probably some sort of light grey? But how? And "Black" is... what? I need recipes. I know there are pictures on the GW shop of black spite revenants but there is no colour chart for them. Is it just black with blue highlights (which would be yellow/orange/red in my version)? 

Also, do any other colours scream out at people? This is the part I am worst at. I cant think new colour schemes up myself. I need inspiration and I am lacking. Please help!

So I'm no expert but my white pattern always starts light grey, possible shade, re-grey it, ulthuan grey (which is super white), and then lastly a  pure white highlight. 

If you wanted to push my fairly simple process a bit more I'd check out YouTube and thinks like maybe Vince Venturella.

I find depth of black is easier to achieve  by staying grey and darkening with shades rather than trying to build up to a highlight but I'm again not an expert.

For the white revenants, I think it will be tricky to achieve high contrast. Straight up white, yellow and red will be bright on bright on bright.

hmm... you may not need white as a main color - starting with something closer to black can still read as white if your midtones are grey and you have white where the light would catch. The brain will still infer that the “true” color is white, depending on the context. 

Painting black will be interesting too. Mixing purple or blue or green into the black gives you room to modulate (going from black to a blue gray or lilac for the parts that catch light.) You can still use cooler colors without them being very conspicuous, and they will make your warm colors warmer.

Sounds like a fun project you got there! I love the revenant models. ❤️❤️❤️