New to Death

Aelford

Hi everybody,

I’m new to the Death Faction. I like to build and paint towards an army list but need your help to do so. 

I'm unsure which direction to take the army with all the different sub factions. Ideally I want my army list to be as competitive as possible but also contain as many of the models I like and own. 

Models I like include Nagash, Mannfred, Arkhan, Neferata, Guardian of Souls, Zombie Dragon, Corpse Cart, Vampires, Necromancer, Black Coach, Dreadblade Harrows, Chainghasts, Bladeghiests, Grimghast Reapers,  mounted Knight of Shrouds and Spirit Torments. 

Could you help me create a semi competitive army including the models above. I’m happy to use models which I haven’t included above if needs to be. I’m partial to Spirit Hosts and Chainrasps too! I’ve just built a Black Coach. I could happily have 2-4 of these in the list. Not keen on the Hexwraiths after building some. 

Edited by Aelford

Hey, I'm new to this as well so keen to see what kind of replies you get.

I took the plunge into AoS in Feb with Mortal Realms. 

Always loved NH so it seemed like a no brainer getting drip fed two armies.

What with rona and all I found myself with money to spend I couldn't spend in the pub/restaurant/gigs etc.

I cracked hard and just started accumulating plastic.

There's a lot of options in the book.

I'm sitting on about 5k of useable stuff but no clue where to start with a build.

Greetings Servants of the Undying King 👻

without checking too much, I see Nagash, add some nighthaunt rasps and you‘re set.

generally speaking the iirc Legion of Grief (part of LoNagash) could use most of your figures. Arkhan, Necromancer and vamplord, corpsecart with rasps and reapers sounds pretty good. Strong magic and better resurrection.

Don’t know about the nighthaunt Heroes, NH is even less competitive than LoN, but both can be fun and strong in friendly games.

Lehion of Grief (LoG) would probably be semi-competitive using the models you've got but you can't use or ally vamps in LoG unfortunately. Everything else should be golden though. Although if you want to run a Mortarch in LoG, you'll first need to run Olynder. I can't remember if Naggy can be run or not in LoG. You could go with a classic Grand Host of Nagash (GHoN) list, using Naggy and ghosts, which is still pretty solid. Be careful though as only the Nighthaunt (NH) from Soul Wars can be used in GHoN.

You've overwhelmingly got NH except for your heroes. Unfortunately a pure NH list isn't that competitive but they are super cool and really fun to use. 

You've got Naggy and Arkhan which would lean towards Ossiarchs (OBR)... but this would pretty much negate every other model you own and you'd have to buy a lot more. OBR are probably the most competitive Death around though if you really wanna push down the competitive scene. 

On 1/5/2021 at 12:57 AM, lare2 said:

You've got Naggy and Arkhan which would lean towards Ossiarchs (OBR)... but this would pretty much negate every other model you own and you'd have to buy a lot more. OBR are probably the most competitive Death around though if you really wanna push down the competitive scene. 

The other benefit is that they've been hit hard by the nerf stick so a lot of people are offloading their OBR so you might be able to get it on the cheap 😆