Attacks characteristic for Kroxigor Moon Hammer Sweeping Blows

EntMan

Question

The warscoll for Kroxigors says:

Sweeping Blows: A Kroxigor armed with a Moon Hammer swings its weapon in wide arcs, smashing aside a multitude of foes with each blow. The Attacks characteristic of a Moon Hammer is equal to the number of enemy models within 2" of the attacking model when the number of attacks made with the weapon is determined

We were playing recently and my Seraphon opponent was attacking my hero with a moonhammer. There also happened to be a bunch of my meatshield models within 2 inches of the Kroxigor. My opponent directed all the attacks at my hero but counted the meatshields when working out how many attacks his Kroxigor had. This seems unfair on my hero as he suffers for being too close to his own side. But is this how the rule shoud work? I (unfortunately) think it is despite logic, as the warscroll says to add up the number of enemy models in range, not the number of models in the targetted unit in range.

1 answer to this question

46 minutes ago, EntMan said:

The warscoll for Kroxigors says:

Sweeping Blows: A Kroxigor armed with a Moon Hammer swings its weapon in wide arcs, smashing aside a multitude of foes with each blow. The Attacks characteristic of a Moon Hammer is equal to the number of enemy models within 2" of the attacking model when the number of attacks made with the weapon is determined

We were playing recently and my Seraphon opponent was attacking my hero with a moonhammer. There also happened to be a bunch of my meatshield models within 2 inches of the Kroxigor. My opponent directed all the attacks at my hero but counted the meatshields when working out how many attacks his Kroxigor had. This seems unfair on my hero as he suffers for being too close to his own side. But is this how the rule shoud work?

Rulewise sadly it was played correct. Neighter rule itself doesn't state that the attack has to hit the unit it is generated from, nor that you have to choose a target before generating the dice.

If I was the player with the Moon Hammer I wouldn't played it that way most likely (mostly because I see myself more as a narrative player.

52 minutes ago, EntMan said:

I (unfortunately) think it is despite logic, as the warscroll says to add up the number of enemy models in range, not the number of models in the targetted unit in range.

The problem here is that "targeted unit" isn't really possible here because you can attack a different unit with multiple attacks. The targeting is after the attacks are generated.