Dark Mist vs rend

WillofNagash

This was debated long and hard on TWF. Basically, rules as written no (because having rend "-" and having no rend (because it's ignored) are apparently different), purposively yes it would work. I preferred the latter view, not least because why else would they put this obvious synergy on one of the key heroes in the army.

I would say no, like nico said, RAW said so, but unlike him i do not see that as an "obvious synergy" at all (nor Neferata beeing a key hero of the undead army btw). The answer is simple, is the rend of the unit is "-"? if no, no bonus if yes, bonus. If there was a "synergy" with dark mist/etheral, the rules would probably mentionned it.

If there was a "synergy" with dark mist/etheral, the rules would probably mentionned it.

They don't mention that the Lord Celestant synergises with Retributors either, but it's not an accident.

I genuinely don't care as without the ability to double cast it, I would never be casting Dark Mist on Blood Knights anyway.

1 hour ago, Nico said:

They don't mention that the Lord Celestant synergises with Retributors either, but it's not an accident.

I genuinely don't care as without the ability to double cast it, I would never be casting Dark Mist on Blood Knights anyway.

In the case of the Lord celestant, it is clearly explained in the rules that a modified result triggers what it should but in that case you assumed that ignoring the rend was the same thing that rend "-" which is ... not as intuitive and borderline.

In the case of the Lord celestant, it is clearly explained in the rules that a modified result triggers what it should but in that case you assumed that ignoring the rend was the same thing that rend "-" which is ... not as intuitive and borderline.

Indeed I did make that assumption, but that assumption works, as there is no difference in outcome between no rend and rend ignored (outside of the context of this rule).

By contrast a save of "-" actually has a special meaning in the game, i.e. that you cannot buff it with mystic shield or cover to become a 6+ save.

Archived