Clear UV Resin?

Lior'Lec

Could someone with some experience using these resins let me know if they would work for what I’m planning? I want to make some clear/translucent yellow and blue lightning effects for a model (maybe 1/8” to 1/4” or 3 to 6mm thick at most) and don’t know if these would be strong enough. Alternative idea would be to cut/shape it from some clear Acrylic plastic and then paint it but if the UV resin works it would allow for a better 3D shape which can be tinted with dyes or inks while making it. How brittle would it be and can anyone recommend a particular brand? If necessary my idea is to carve the Lightning’s shape into some foam and then pour the resin and and cure it

I only know clear resin from casting bits a long time ago - it's as strong as colored resin, so 3mm thick parts should be fine. You'd have to handle it with care though (then again what shouldn't be handled with care in this hobby?) and air bubbles are a serious thing with clear resins - casting stuff well is a bit of a science of its own and I found it be difficult but maybe I just suck :D .... I haven't tried the UV resin but it does sound interesting.

Well the project is being shelved for now sadly as we have another frickin hurricane bearing down on where I live (And I *just* ordered some clear UV resin from green stuff world last night). I’d wanted to build it for my Tzeentch Daemon Prince in the painting contract but now I’m just rushing through painting the Khorne prince so I can get one of them finished before the storm hits. The sculpting wasn’t really good enough and I was gonna spend another week slowly getting it (half) right but it’s been primed and painted today in 15-30 minute increments and now I only need to get the metals painted, the bones/spikes highlighted, and the base done (which I haven’t decided on a scheme for yet because I want it to go with my unbased Iron Horde who are mostly dark metal vs his dark brown).

Assuming the storm doesn’t do too much damage (and we still have power, water, etc. this time) I’ll be able to focus on the Tzeentch Prince when we get back.