Hornblower and standard on the same model

Gorthor21

Question

I raised this question after thinking of buying a set of chaos knights and wanting  to use one model for both roles as I don’t like the way it makes the unit look.

the other members on the other thread brought up good points and I decided to post here as they suggested.  

so the only mention I can find in the rules are in the core rules and on the warscroll:

So rules board what is your take on this command group conundrum?

22B5D6B8-44AF-489D-9768-1A5B002A86F8.jpeg

220F6D79-8871-4239-A54B-184E56D35D12.jpeg

5 answers to this question

As you say, I don't think there are any hard-and-fast rules about it. There's nothing to base a strong argument on either way.

The intent seems to be that a "musician" is a distinct model from a "standard bearer" or "champion", with its own rules. This is circumstantially supported by the way the kits are pictured when built, with separate command models.

Best to check with your TO (or your opponent) beforehand. Or, just build them the normal way and avoid any arguments. :P

Edited by Kadeton
  • Like 2

The one thing I would tolerate is having your champion also carrying a special weapon (such as a Liberator-Prime with a Greatsword. )

But trying to combine musicians and bannermen just seems pure optimisation that goes against the way the game has been for ages, I would frown upon it tbh. 

If the people you play with are happy to, go ahead though. 

Edited by Ninelives

My intent wasn’t necessarily to take advantage of any benefits it would give to have them as the same model but to have 9 guys with lances out of 10 as opposed to to the 8 if they were separate models.

i think it would be an easy fix for them to clarify that each needs to be a separate model instead of saying they need to be citadel models.

I like this idea from a modeling perspective. I use lord of the rings models for my army (long story as to why), after reading this I thought of using the boromir of the white tower model as a banner/musician  as he has both...... would it be pushing it for him to be the champion as well?

I would point out that the major disadvantage to combining the different command roles onto the same model is that it makes that model a prime target for abilities that allow you to select and slay a specific enemy model.

I also dislike having to model units without their proper weapons (I generally don't like the way it looks.) 

My solution is usually to try to kitbash the "command" pieces onto the model while still arming it with the proper weapons. So, banners are popping up out of the ground next to infantry, and on cavalry are simply mounted to the saddle. Where possible, musician instruments are hanging off on the side somewhere, present but out of the way.