Wizard on Balewind - Dispell and recast Balewind

Kasper

Question

The Wizard casted Balewind Vortex in turn 1. When turn 2 comes around the Wizard is now on the Balewind and is sitting at 1 cast + 1 extra from Balewind. He now decides to use his extra cast to autodispell the Balewind at the start of the hero phase as per the rules for the Balewind warscroll. With his remaining cast he recasts Balewind. 

Here comes the question - When he casts the Balewind with his remaining cast,

1.  Will he gain another cast, so now he's sitting on a single cast?
  2.  Will he be sitting on the Balewin with 0 casts remaining?

Technically he already benifited from the extra cast on the Balewind in the start of the hero phase but this is a new spell/model, so Im unsure if he will be able to benefit from the extra cast yet again, or if he is now sitting at 0 casts.

The Balewind "Arcane Invigoration" ability seems a bit vague. "A Wizard on a Balewind Vortex can attempt to cast an additional spell in each of their hero phases (including the turn in which the Summon Balewind Vortex was cast), and you can add 6" to the range of any spells that the Wizard casts."

The intention of this move is to basically shuffle an otherwise stationary Wizard forward to gain extra range, since when you dispell you get to setup the Wizard within 1" (1" further forward) and then get to setup the Balewind within 1" of the Wizard (another 1" further forward, plus the Bale is about 4" wide, so you effectively gain an extra 6" reach).

Edited by Kasper

3 answers to this question

Maybe my read of the warscroll is too limiting, but to me it looks like there are 0 casts remaining. 

the warscroll says: ‚A Wizard on a Balewind Vortex can attempt to cast an additional spell in each of their hero phases...‘

‚an additional spell‘ Alone would mean you could create an additional spell with the method you describe. But it says this happens per ‚each‘ of your hero phases. This is the limiter.  It does not say ‚per set-up bale wind vortex‘.

The rule seems clear: You theoretically get +1 spell for each Balewind Vortex your sorcerer controls.

The former spell is removed so all its effects are ended, a removed model and its warscroll has no effect on the game anymore unless you cast a buff/debuff with a sorcerer that has been slain afterwards. A new one is set up and you use this ones rules from now on, which grants you an additional spell.

So you get back to 1 spell remaining.

Edited by JackStreicher

On 8/28/2020 at 3:26 PM, Okonomiyakimarine said:

Maybe my read of the warscroll is too limiting, but to me it looks like there are 0 casts remaining. 

the warscroll says: ‚A Wizard on a Balewind Vortex can attempt to cast an additional spell in each of their hero phases...‘

‚an additional spell‘ Alone would mean you could create an additional spell with the method you describe. But it says this happens per ‚each‘ of your hero phases. This is the limiter.  It does not say ‚per set-up bale wind vortex‘.

I dont see how "each" is a restriction here at all. I can understand if the ability said "once per hero phase". The each part just seems to suggest it is included in the following hero phases, not just limited to the turn you casted it. Balewind is from a time when rules werent well communicated.